Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with Word Import

May 20, 2008 May 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a company that uses Microsoft Word as the primary tool for developing documentation. We then import the docs into RH5 creating topics by heading levels.

I downloaded the RH7 30 day trial and I noticed when I imported the docs it would not split by heading styles. Instead it just lumped evything together based on my heading 1 style with the sublevels linked to the heading1 topics. I could not find a way to unlink the topics so that I can reorganize and reuse content. Also when I clicked on a topic it appeared as just one long topic.

Not sure if this is a limitation of the trial, but any support would be welcome, since my company is trying to decide if we will upgrade.

Also on a side note, i was curious what peoples experience where with converting styles on import with RH7. RH5 had this feature but it had many issues with crashing and not being able to convert some style elements from word.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LeoFirebrand and welcome to the RH forums.

First off, the trial is a fully working version with no limitiations. As far as maintaining the numbered headings, this can't be done if you are maintaining the source in RH. Each time you add a topic in the middle of a book, you'd have to update all the page titles and topic properties.

You may want to check out this link for help with importing word docs and how to map your Word styles to RH's styles. I'd strongly advise you to tidy up styles in your Word Docs before you import them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the links to the style information, some good stuff there.

As far as my headings issues, i may need to clarify a bit more. It's something that is working with RH5 that I am having problems with in RH7. Basically in RH5 I would say import word doc, then it would ask what heading styles to create topics by. I would check Headings 1-4 and import. It would then create new topics for each heading level in my doc and create books stacking them by levels. so heading 2s would be stacked in a topic for the Heading 1 it links to.

with RH7 i did the same process but when it imports it only created topics based on the highest heading level and when I view the topic it has pages worth of content including multiple headings. it does not appear to be working....or it works differently than it used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2008 Jun 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm facing the same problem. So if anyone has a solution please advice..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 09, 2008 Jun 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you have moved on to the issues with graphics but if you are still having problems with headings. I have found another solution, since for me I was using word default heading 1,2,3 with just modifications for our styleguide so that was not the problem. another thing I have noticed that may be your as well is listed below:

THE PROBLEM: The problem seems to be unique with RH7 since i did not have this issue in RH5, but the root seems to be with the way word handles styles. For things like paragraph styles you can click on on a paragraph(not highlight) and apply the style. This works in word but this causes problems with Robo Help. so if you apply a paragraph style w/o highlighting then apply a character empahsis style on a word...you would notice in RH5 that the paragraph would be highlighted from that word on. Somehow in RH7 this issue now also causes problems with creating topics and not just with in topic formatting.

THE SOLUTION: This solution is time consuming, but you will have to go back and reapply your styles to your document. The best way to do this is to select a group of text you will format such as a body paragraph or a heading and CLEAR FORMATING. Sometimes you will not be able to clear format...if this happens you probably do not have the entire paragraph highlighted (this is a likely culprit of the problem). When re-applying the styles make sure to apply styles in the following order to prevent issues.
1. Apply Body or Paragraph styles.
2. Apply numbering or bulletings styles.
3. Apply character Emphasis Styles.
Remember you must clear the formatting before you re-apply or the issue will not resolve.Since this can be time consuming I suggest trying this on a few heading first starting from the top of the document just to make sure this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2008 Jun 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leo and others,
This problem has frustrated me beyond belief. I have been having the same issue with importing word docs. I was so happy to see Leo's post here thinking he had found the culprit. The document I'm trying to import was created by a 3rd party years ago. It seems to be formatted very well yet RoboCrap doesn't want to split on the custom headings. It chooses things like TOC, inlinetext, etc. I am about to just reformat the entire doc and import which seems to be the only solution. I am tinkering with your idea right now Leo but have not had the same luck you had. I may not be doing it correctly. Could you spell out the process of clearing the heading format then re-applying a little more?

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 01, 2008 Jul 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, how cute! Wrigbone has learned to create funny names for software products!

Since you're probably too busy writing bumper stickers, I've done your research for you so that you can clean up the filth in your obviously muddled Word files.

=========
To clear the formatting, in Word:

1. Select Format > Styles and Formatting.
2. Select the content.
3. In the Pick formatting to apply pane, select the top option "Clear Formatting."

This reverts the content to the Normal style.
=========

=========
To see the styles in a more user-friendly view than the Styles and Formatting pane on the right, in Word:

1. Switch to normal view if you are in a different view.
2. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the View tab.
3. In the Style area width box under Outline and Normal options, enter a measurement for the Style area width, for example, 1.2"

Microsoft Word displays the paragraph style name in the style area to the left of your document.
=========

You can also make full use of the Format Painter (the toolbar button to the right of the Copy and Paste buttons).

Now, will there be anything else?

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya know I was just about to rip into you LEON but since you took the time to cut and paste a few tidbits from the Microsoft help files, and I'm trying to be kinder and gentler in my old age, I will refrain. My grandma know how to select text, clear, and apply formatting in Word. Nobody in this forum is looking for entry level BS. If we are here it means we have tried the usual stuff.

Leo posted something a short time ago that's seems to be getting at the heart of this issue because older versions of RoboCRAP didn't have this problem. Somehow it does not recognize certain elements as headers even though they seem to be formatted correctly. I have tried to select the headings, clear the format,and re-apply but so far I have not had success unless I use the default headings. I think it is because I'm not doing it in order or maybe I have to do the whole document (all the elements). I'll keep trying and will post what I find for anyone else that should end up coming here looking for help. If anyone has followed Leo's advice below with success and has any more to add please do. The following is what Leo posted and the direction I'm trying to follow...

THE PROBLEM: The problem seems to be unique with RH7 since i did not have this issue in RH5, but the root seems to be with the way word handles styles. For things like paragraph styles you can click on on a paragraph(not highlight) and apply the style. This works in word but this causes problems with Robo Help. so if you apply a paragraph style w/o highlighting then apply a character empahsis style on a word...you would notice in RH5 that the paragraph would be highlighted from that word on. Somehow in RH7 this issue now also causes problems with creating topics and not just with in topic formatting.

THE SOLUTION: This solution is time consuming, but you will have to go back and reapply your styles to your document. The best way to do this is to select a group of text you will format such as a body paragraph or a heading and CLEAR FORMATING. Sometimes you will not be able to clear format...if this happens you probably do not have the entire paragraph highlighted (this is a likely culprit of the problem). When re-applying the styles make sure to apply styles in the following order to prevent issues.
1. Apply Body or Paragraph styles.
2. Apply numbering or bulletings styles.
3. Apply character Emphasis Styles.
Remember you must clear the formatting before you re-apply or the issue will not resolve.Since this can be time consuming I suggest trying this on a few heading first starting from the top of the document just to make sure this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2008 Jun 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is important that your heading styles are those defined by Microsoft as the Heading 1, 2 etc. If you have created styles such as Heading 1 My Version, they are not seen as headings and will fail.

Look in Word's style organiser and see what headings are listed.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2008 Jun 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help.

I'm facing another problem.

After importing the word document using robohelp, i found out that the images do not appear throughout the pages. Please note that it worked fine for another project.. i just don't know where did i go wrong in this one!

So can anyone help me out here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help.

I'm facing another problem.

After importing the word document using robohelp, i found out that the images do not appear throughout the pages. Please note that it worked fine for another project.. i just don't know where did i go wrong in this one!

So can anyone help me out here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the project in Windows Explorer you will see the images in a sub-folder to the topic. Go to Project Manager in RH and create exactly the same folder. I think you will find the images then start appearing in it.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but i don't understand. Can you please explain more!

I really appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compare the folders in Windows Explorer with the folders in RH's Project Manager. I think you will find there is a folder you will see in Windows Explorer that does not appear in PM.

That folder will have the images.

Check that first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I view this "folder in Windows Explorer " ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to all this Robohelp stuff so bear with me please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wherever your project is located on your PC. When you open RH you should be able to see where your project is located.

Speak to one of your developers, I think they will follow what I am getting at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

both folders exist.. same name same everything! What do i check next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you look at the folder in Project Manager, is it showing the images below?

Are you seeing red crosses in the topics where the images should be?

If not, what do you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only a folder name Images. No subsidiaries. thats what i see in the project manager.
and no there are no red plusses in the topics where the images should be.

Let me explain the situation :

I am importing a word document so i can turn it into HTML pages. everythings going like it should be except for the images. Kindly note that I did the same steps for a previous project and it worked fine. This document in specific is giving me a hard time! could the problem be in the word document itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2008 Jun 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please send me some screenshots via my site. Include a link to this thread.

1] A topic marked to show where the images should be.

2] Project Manager showing the folder with the topic. Click any + signs for the folder

3] Windows Explorer showing the same folder.

It would help to see the source document as well. Zip it all up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your assisstance.
You've been a great help!

But i need an advice. The product i'm creating the webhelp for, has various modules (applications). the company i work for sometimes sells the entire product and sometimes only parts of it. Can i create the webhelp for the entire product and delete the parts i don't want to display from the table of contents?

Will this affect the database? too much load? How about the security?

Or should i just keep creating seperate webhelps for each application!

Thank you in advance..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two options.

1] Merged webhelp.

You create a merged setup, described on my site, and supply each customer with the parent and the required child projects.

2] Build Expressions

You create one project with multiple outputs that provide the different output combinations that you require. You don't delete stuff, you exclude it from the output.

I think the general view is that performance of RH prior to RH7 when working on projects tailed off a bit after around 5000 topics in a project. I don't think RH7 will be different in that respect but no data to support that view.

For the end user there is no database so the method of production is not relevant. Neither would security be affected, not sure what concerns you there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on, Wrig. You'll probably end up hearing nothing but crickets if you ask for assistance as you have.

We are all in the same boat, plugging away using RH in all its flavors, with all its challenges. No software is perfect. Not a single one is distributed without flaws - everyone and their grandma knows that too. But needlessly insulting the tool that many of us have invested years in to produce whatever it is we produce isn't going to win you friends and gain you assistance.

Which, as you know, isn't paired with an invoice. How many communities can you go to to get the extremely competent level of assistance you get here, without spending a dime? Hmm?

You are new to the forum, or you would have already seen that many of our colleagues do need the basic level of instruction that Leon took the time to offer.

So please, have a sense of humor, and appreciate the support you receive.

Peacefully, L.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you two guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So pretty please, with sugar on top – help me with ROBOHELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp