Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

create existing TOC

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2016 Jun 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a word document to import for robohelp 2015,  there isn't the  option of using the existing toc, I need to make a new toc.

Why can nt i use the existing toc?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2016 Jun 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm not sure I totally understand what you are wanting to do here. Are you saying that the Word document itself has a Table of Contents? And you want to simply add the Word Table Of Contents to the project's existing Table of Contents?

Which existing TOC are you wanting to use? A TOC in Word that converts and places entries in the RoboHelp TOC?

Sorry, having a dense moment here... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2016 Jun 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick!

Thanks for answering.

So, answering your questions.

Yes, the  Word document itself has a Table of Contents and i want import this Word  Table of Contents to the project's existing.

The robohelp not let me use this existing TOC, it asks that me to do a new TOC.

You can see in the image below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, that one is a bit puzzling. Just the other day I was actually playing with this feature and in my experiment I was able to just plop the TOC entries into my existing TOC.

Sometimes we find ourselves struggling so hard to figure out why something isn't working that SHOULD be working that we overlook other options. So while I don't have a definitive answer for you, I CAN think of a workaround,

Allow it to create the TOC it seems to be insisting upon. Then in the TOC where you want the entries to appear, utilize the TOC Placeholder.

tmp1.png

Just insert that placeholder where you hope to see the Word TOC. When you insert it, you should see a dialog asking for the location of the other TOC to use. So point at that TOC that was created during the Word import.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick!

But this way of doing does not help us much, we have many people editing the document in the word all the time by entering new tocs. It is unfeasible to make new TOCs in project robohelp all the time.

Sem título.png

if you can do in your project, I should get too, but I saw that you import differently your word document. I import for "Word File", the robohelp recognizes the word document.

On your print, the icon is in question, probably you import by clicking the right button and then import. If I follow these same steps, I will be able to import the toc my word document, however, will have many other problems.

Do you know other options or solutions?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh okay. You aren't truly "importing" the Word document. You are using the "link" feature. I didn't test that scenario.

Soooo, in attempting to help, I just tried setting up the link situation you have. And I'm not finding anywhere that presents me with the dialog you shared in your first reply to me. I'll capture it and post it below.

tmp1.png

Sooo, can you list the steps you took to see that dialog?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yees, you're right!!

I am using the "link", i tried use the import, but it brought me many problems!

I had the idea that via link was also an import.

Sooo,

the steps that I used for this dialog are:

click the right button on the topic imported, then Properties.

It appeared the dialog I sent you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have to confer with Adobe to confirm this, but I suspect that in this scenario this may be what's happening.

When you establish a link to a Word document, it means that you desire an ongoing relationship with the document, As such, the topics created from that linked document are more or less considered peers to any other topic in your project. So no provision is given for handling any TOC elements that might have been in the Word document.

One way to deal with the TOC would be to use the "Auto-Create TOC" feature of RoboHelp. But that will likely disrupt your existing TOC. Whether that's acceptable to you is for you to decide. All I can do is look at what's available and try to help make sense of it.

I would urge you to consider submitting a Wish Form/Bug Request using the link below. I can't guarantee anything will happen immediately from it, but it should put it on Adobe's scope. And once in a while the Adobe engineers will come back to you and offer up a workaround. So it's definitely worth a try.

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok Rick!

You help me a lot!

I will send  a request Form/Bug to the Adobe Suport.

Thanks, again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp