Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quickly making A4 document A5 document.

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2016 Jun 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have an urgent job to do, but no time to do it.

It involves taking an A4 document of several hundred pages, and producing an A5 version using exactly the same proportions.

Could someone please tell me a quick way to do this, that doesn't involve going through the entire thing resizing everything?

Please help

Thanks

Andy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make your final A4 pdf.

Make new indesign A5 document and import your A4 pdf file with Multipageimporter (free download) setting "Scale of imported pages" 50%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that sounds good. Do you happen to know where I might get this Multipageimporter?

Thanks

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is in your scripts of Indesign, but there is a more a downloadable script for more options, I run it in CC and it is working

http://indesignsecrets.com/zanelli-releases-multipageimporter-for-importing-both-pdf-and-indd-files....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think, it is about 71% in stead of 50% 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want the InDesign document to remain editable, just A5 instead of A4, you could use our (paid) http://www.id-extras.com/products/quickresize

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ariel,

Have you ever seen cases of text reflow using your tool? I ask because a number of years ago I ran into a problem with scaling text down where the line endings changed. It turned out that we were reducing the size of the text below the limits for kerning in that font and the spacing was changing. Admittedly, this was a pretty extreme change but could happen with smaller changes in smaller type.

The same problem could affect pages placed from .indd files using Scott Zanelli's script. It does not seem to be a problem placing PDF pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I have noticed in some cases that line breaks change slightly. This is quite rare in most cases, but it does happen.

Usually, the effect is minor, and of course the advantage with QuickResize is that you get a fully editable InDesign document, resized.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did not mean to imply that your tool was in any way defective or not useful. I just wondered if you'd been bitten by this (and I've only seen it once or twice, myself), or if you'd found some magical solution.

I agree that a fully editable document is a big plus, and as with any conversion operation I would caution users to carefully check for reflow (if line endings are critical) and especially for overset text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you try liquid layout? Well,  this is a solution without any investment. Grab the page tool > option bar setting to Scale > modify your paper size tot A5. All set and everything stays editable.

Plan B: maintain everything in A4 till very last: print to PDF with a certain scale factor. Could a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> using exactly the same proportions.

Actually you can do nothing. Just print PDF and send to typography with comment about auto-scale to A5. In 99.9999% they know how to do this.

Not same - Listen @thepatje if your author will find that need to do upper-size of types and do re-makeup.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone. Greatly appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export as PDF

In Acrobat Pro go to Print-Production > Preflight.

There is a scale command, which will resize a PDF to a given size. There is one prepaired to scale to A4, you can make changes to scale to A5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines