Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS5 Crashing at "Starting up Service Registry"

Sep 09, 2010 Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Windows 7 (32-bit).  All other Adobe applications work fine.  InDesign worked fine yesterday.  I'm getting the following error after the crash in the Windows event viewer:

Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version: 7.0.2.522, time stamp: 0x4c3ead95
Faulting module name: BIB.dll, version: 1.2.2.7565, time stamp: 0x4b900a93
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000019ff
Faulting process id: 0xdc0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb504d848b4375
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS5\InDesign.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS5\BIB.dll
Report Id: c6bcaa95-bc40-11df-969f-0023aea121bb

I've been researching this problem all day and have tried every single possible solution I've found including:  deleting preferences, checking folder permissions, rebooting, running updates, and even changing the default printer.

The PC is on a domain and InDesign launches with no problems with any other user logged into the PC.

I did install a new graphics card yesterday (GeForce 210) and a second monitor.  I've seen other threads reference a multiple monitor issue but found no threads detailing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try renaming the SING folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 21, 2010 Oct 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also  these steps can be performed :

#  Provide permissions to the Sing folder

# Unhide main admin account and can check whether you are able to launch the product .

Go to a command prompt as the administrator.
           type cmd in the search box and then right click when it is found and select Run as Administrator
           Type net  user  administrator  /active:yes
           The Administrator Account should now appear as an option on the Welcome Screen
            Reboot and log  in as the administrator

See if this helps!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2011 Apr 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I had a 'similar' problem.

Adobe Indesign CS5 (64-bit) on Windows 7 crashed at "Starting up Service Registry", Photoshop, Illustrator worked just fine. Tried to search for solutions:

- reinstalled

- all sorts of registry settings etc.

- changed SING permissions

None of that worked.

Finally I saw someone who had a solution for a bug in version CS3: when your default printer is not available when starting Indesign CS5 for the first time it will crash. Changed the default printer, and luckily Indesign started up!

Since I was frustrated to see only problems, no solutions, I decided to post it . Hope it will help someone else in the future!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 01, 2011 May 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for posting this foostrom. I downloaded the CS5 Design Standard and everything worked except inDesign. So I uninstalled and downloaded it again. Still nothing. I searched and searched for a fix. Finally I came across your post. I'm working on a laptop, so my printer is never available unless I need to print something and I dock it and plug it in. I changed my default printer and voila, it opened up without a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting the info about the default printer issue.

Switching my printer to another printer -- listed as "Idle" vs "Offline" -- solved my problem with CS 5.5 Indesign (Mac) crashing at launch.

Background:

Following a new install, my new CS 5.5 Indesign update on Mac OS X - 10.6.7 would crash every time I tried to start it. Funny thing was that Indesign CS 5 was working, but no dice with Indesign 5.5, just crash after crash at launch. Meanwhile all the other new 5.5 Design Suite apps were working like a charm.

I pulled my hair out for hours trying to work this out. Adobe's outsourced techs in India had me reinstalling the app, opening up folder and file permissions to the world, and at one point took over my computer remotely. Their outsourcing dime must have been running out when they told me to call Apple -- that one threw me into a fit.

I then stumbled on this post, switched my printer, and presto, InDesign 5.5 now launches and works!!!

Come on Adobe!

I've seen too many bugs and issues like this just linger from version to version with no attention. I and everyone posting here rely on your tools, and collectively we have helped you build your empire. Instead of outsourcing your customer support requests to semi-trained and under-paid techs, how about actually fixing these issues. I won't even get into the weeds on charging exhorbitant fees for mid-version upgrades. I paid for 5.5 in the hopes of getting a  version that could deliver promised stability and features that I didn't get in CS5 -- features that I'm depending on to keep my clients happy.

A professional retreat for Adobe executives to rediscover the value of prioritizing its customers and their needs might not be a bad idea.

Now back to work -- crossing my fingers that InDesign 5.5 will be stable and deliver on its promises.

chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having just purchased an upgrade from Master Collection CS4 to CS5.5 last night, I have been dealing with crashes from Illustrator & InDesign continually since the install - completely unable to work and have lost several hours to this.

As the other users here have reported, I tried everything I could think of or found reports of, i.e. confirmed all Adobe & Windows patches/updates were installed, checked directory permissions, reinstalled Illustrator & InDesign, ensured the legacy Documents & Settings folder was accessible, and completed all this as Domain Admin rights, etc.  After exhaustive attempts & near giving up, I came across the printer solution mentioned here, I changed my default printer and Voila!, both applications now open fine without crashing.  How frustrating! (& liberating, too, since I can now get back to work thankfully...) I was really looking forward to this new version & couldn't/can't believe I was running into so many problems with a clean install - I was coming from a Master Suite CS4 install on another Windows 7 64-bit system that had no issues to speak of even though it wasn't fully supported for the 64-bit system back then, so I anticipated this install would be smooth.

Install environment:  Newly formatted Windows 7 64-bit OS with new install of Adobe Master Collection CS5.5

Problem encountered:  Photoshop 64-bit would open, however Illustrator & InDesign would both crash consistently - could not open any files including templates or make a new file, etc (Illustrator would load & crash immediately when trying to open a file or make a new file; InDesign would crash before loading completely) - NOTE: this crash behavior was occuring on a "clean" OS install, anti-virus disabled, and before any additional application plug-ins were installed; all work was done as domain administrator

Solution:  Changed default printer.  (I work in multiple locations & the original default printer, an HP 2600n Color, was inaccessible because it is a network printer configured for one of the other locations where I work; I switched default printer to an accessible network printer, HP 2055dn, accessible on the same subnet where I am currently working & voila!, Illustrator & InDesign problems solved!!)

Amazing that the printer could create (& solve) so many issues!  THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS FIX!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all. i'm having the same problem. all programs in the design premium cs5.5 are working except for indesign. initially, it would freeze til the splash message, then eventually it wouldn't launch at all. but when i check the process in the task manger, it says that "indesign32.exe" is running.

i tried the ff but nothing worked:

1. uninstall then reinstall

2. removed SING folder

3. set my default printer to another printer (serveral times, different printers)

it really sucks that the suite is quite expensive and adobe still gives us these problems. i would appreciate any help / recommendations.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm using windows 7 professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue for me was caused by the App Data folder being redirected to the server. Once we turned off redirection, it worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I turn that off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a policy in Active Directory. You'll have to talk to your IT guy to get it turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The suite is actually for personal use and i just use it at home. Thanks anyway, i'll try to research more on this issue. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2011 May 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i still can't resolve this issue with indesign. any other recommendations? i already spoke with adobe tech support twice, and it seems like they also don't know the solution to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2011 Aug 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem here. A crash when in the startup screen appaers: stratup service registry. Tried to do the trick with the printer, but that didn't work.

Noticed that starting up In Design wasn't a problem after logging in as a different user...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2011 Aug 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS?

In any event, I'd recommend getting a crash report. http://indesignsecrets.com/guide-to-interpreting-indesign-crash-reports.php.

If you're on Windows 7/Vista, well, I don't know any easy way to do that.

On the other hand, if it's tied to a user account, then you should be able to blow away InDesign and Adobe's caches and preferences. If that doesn't do it, then it'll be some subtle OS preferences or configuration files...

The crash report should point to the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2011 Aug 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OSX Lion…

I'll try the solution with the caches and preferences…

Thanks.

Lawrence Spierings

Op 7 aug. 2011, om 09:36 heeft John Hawkinson het volgende geschreven:

What OS?

In any event, I'd recommend getting a crash report. http://indesignsecrets.com/guide-to-interpreting-indesign-crash-reports.php.

If you're on Windows 7/Vista, well, I don't know any easy way to do that.

On the other hand, if it's tied to a user account, then you should be able to blow away InDesign and Adobe's caches and preferences. If that doesn't do it, then it'll be some subtle OS preferences or configuration files...

The crash report should point to the problem.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you to Foostrom's post from 2011...

Adobe - are you paying attention ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had similar problem. InDesign CS5 crash at startup, all other apps work fine.

My op.system Windows XP SP3.

I solved the problem with following steps:

1. Setup another user account (must be administrative) - let say "test"

2. Login to the new account

3. Start inDesign (in my case it started)

4. Close inDesign

5. Logout

6. Login to your user account

7. Copy preference files from "Documents and Settings\test\Application Data\Adobe\InDesign" to "Documents and Settings\your account\Application Data\Adobe\InDesign"

8. Start inDesign

In my case it worked. All other actions described in this forum did not.

Kind Regards,

Zbigniew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Als0 2018 need help. I did this using my Mac Desktop. Right now on 10.13.3 of High Sierra. It wouldn't open on my normal user but it would open on the "Test" user. Didn't know where to copy the information from though. Is this a possible fix fo Macs as well? Everything on my CS5 Suite is working but InDesign. Tried everything else here and didn't work. PLEASE HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Try this:

1. Unhide all hidden and protected files on the explorer.
  2. Go to Users/your_user_name/AppData/Local/Adobe/InDesign
  3. Delete the folder "Version 7.0".

That's all and it just worked fine with me.

ozaboza

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem is in the plugins folder, remove the folder "prepress"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the printer fix worked!

So weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the default printer bug is still there in windows 10 and latest adobe indesign cc . Instructions to change the default one and start work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines