• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bulk Importing Names onto Nametag

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I'm looking to import several hundred names into namtags, with 10 on each page in inDesign.

I can export them to a list of any format, though they currently exist in excel. Is there any easier way to do this rather than copy and pasting them into the indd document?

I've already checked out linking text, but my issue is that some names will be on two lines on a single name tag (as they won't fit in horizontally) but then if a last name doesn't fit on the one nametag, it gets pushed to the next one and messes it up, and if I make allowances for two lines of text, then sometimes two names end up on one nametag.

Any help or insight here is appreciated, I'm trying to be as clear as possible. Hopefully this isn't too unique a situation.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

This is exactly what Data Merge does.

1. Make sure your Excel columns have headings, e.g., firstName, lastName, etc.
  2. Save it in a delimited file format (.csv will work well if the entries don't contain commas) CLOSE IT
  3. In InDesign, setup a single name tag occupying 1/10th of the page at the top-left corner; and be certain another 9 (which InDesign will generate) will fit in the remaining space (some basic math is in order)
  4. Open the Data Merge panel: Window > Utilities > Data Merge
  5. Choose Select Data Sou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an ideal job for Data Merge.

You set up one name tag with the correct positioning, and enough room in your text fields for the longest name.

Export your excel to csv or tab-delimited text, and use the data merge panel to link the fields to your tag. 

You then set up and run a multiple record per page merge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Data Merge for sure:

Automate business card creation using InDesign « Caveat Lector

If you have the design flexibility, one solution could be to put all last names on a second line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what Data Merge does.

1. Make sure your Excel columns have headings, e.g., firstName, lastName, etc.
  2. Save it in a delimited file format (.csv will work well if the entries don't contain commas) CLOSE IT
  3. In InDesign, setup a single name tag occupying 1/10th of the page at the top-left corner; and be certain another 9 (which InDesign will generate) will fit in the remaining space (some basic math is in order)
  4. Open the Data Merge panel: Window > Utilities > Data Merge
  5. Choose Select Data Source from the Data Merge panel menu; navigate to your saved .csv file and select it
  6. The Data Merge panel will become populated with the available column headings read in the data source file
  7. Set a text frame where you want the name to appear on the name tag, and with a live insertion point, (blinking cursor), double-click the desired column heading in the Data Merge panel to set the field in the frame.
  8. So you should have something like this:

You can style the fields however you'd like the names to appear.
  9. Choose Create Merged Document from the Data Merge panel menu
  10. In the Create Merged Document dialog, choose Multiple Records from the Records Per Document Page menu
  11. Switch to the Multiple Record Layout tab, tick Preview Multiple Record Layout and make adjustments if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am trying to do this with event tickets, but it is creating 100 pages with a single one, even thought I selected multiple records in the Data Merge window? I am using InDesign 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines