• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I Don't Want True Key or anything else. Just Flash, please.

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I just installed the adobe flash player today. When I installed it, it installed something called True Key. I didn't want True Key. I uninstalled it, but will the flash player try to install other software I don't want? I did select "Let adobe install updates", and now I'm afraid the "updates" might include software I didn't want / need / authorize!

Thanks,

-Brian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Hi,

McAfee and True Key are optional offers available on the Flash Player download center.  Users can opt-out of installing these.

Capture.JPG

If you didn't see the offer, and have ad-blockers installed, it's most likely the reason you didn't see the offer.

Selecting the 'Let Adobe install updates (recommended)' option is the best way to ensure you always have the most recent version of Flash Player installed as Flash Player regularly checks for updates and installs an update within 24 hours of it being releas

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

McAfee and True Key are optional offers available on the Flash Player download center.  Users can opt-out of installing these.

Capture.JPG

If you didn't see the offer, and have ad-blockers installed, it's most likely the reason you didn't see the offer.

Selecting the 'Let Adobe install updates (recommended)' option is the best way to ensure you always have the most recent version of Flash Player installed as Flash Player regularly checks for updates and installs an update within 24 hours of it being released.  When Flash Player updates via this method only the Flash Player is installed.  Option offers are only installed from the main Flash Player download page as users have to select whether or not to install the option offers.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 14, 2016 May 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one, Folks,

I just accidentally installed bloatware on my computer. You guys at Adobe must know that the absolute majority of Flash users not only hate your incompetence which forces us to update regularly. We also need to watch out not get bloatware forced on us. And now the next step: Blaming the user who decides that he doesn't want to be pestered by ads.We need to see ads everythere, otherwise Adobe will not show us the checkboxes whenever we need to downlaoad the newest security upgrade. If I were working for Adobe I'd start searching for a new job now.

As for the bloatware: It'll be uninstalled right after I uninstalled Flash for good. I had Flash for convenience, but nowadays it's not really needed anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DAMN YOU AND TRUE KEY!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Au contraire, It's not a fault of ad block software, I'm running vanilla Firefox(no add-ons), about two weeks ago I reformatted my computer, hence me needing the software, and the screen I was shown for "Step 1" was this. (I went back after and rechecked)Adobe you idiots.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2016 Jun 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe they unbundled it from that version? Did you make sure that you did not have TrueKey before, but did have it after the installation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@robertdl ,

I'll forward your post to the online installer team.  I don't have details on the rules of when an add-on displays or doesn't display.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

These are optional offers where customer can opt out if he/she is not interested. These are offered solely based on the Operating System and the browser combination the user is using to download the Flash Player. These will also not be offered if the user is already having these installed in his machine.

Regards

Bhaskar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The user doesn't SEE the options not to install the additional programs under some conditions. It's Adobe's responsibility to find out what those conditions are and to cover those cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, these are NOT optional for Windows 10 Users. I just went and got Adobe Reader for a PDF I'm having issues with and it downloaded AND installed Reader, True Key and freaking McAfee, this should NOT be up to Adobe to force me to go do extra work to remove these damn programs I did not want in the first place. And I looked, there was ZERO opt out. I download the Adobe Reader, and it auto installs all 3 programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Javascript disabled or use something utility that disabled Javascript?  If so, enable Javascript and the optional offers will display

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, why should I have to have yet something else installed on my computer to opt out of these installs? I don't have javascript installed, and I don't want it, I don't need it. So therefore, according to Adobe, I should be forced to have these programs shoved onto my system without my approval. Nice Adobe, real nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to install anything. JavaScript isn't something you install separately.  It's a browser feature.  I'm asking if you have somehow disabled JavaScript in the browser.  If so, you would need to enable JavaScript in the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bethr43024394​

I have a manual guide for updating flash on Windows here:

Guide to Manually updating Flash Player

Also if you accidentally got McAfee installed and having difficulty with the McAfee stuff I have something to assist here:

PSA - Automated Silent McAfee Security Scan Plus Remover

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2016 Sep 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a new laptop with Windows 10, I experienced the same when installing Acrobat Reader. No choice given, and my system has been freezing since arghhhhh. I've spent a lot over the years on Adobe products and really disappointed. Hopefully, I can uninstall, and TrueKey and McAfee will be eradicated. I'll just use Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are optional offers where customer can opt out if he/she is not interested. These are offered solely based on the Operating System and the browser combination the user is using to download the Flash Player. These will also not be offered if the user is already having these installed in his machine.

Regards

Bhaskar

I have "McAfee Internet Security Suite" installed on my PC.  This does not prevent the update screen from offering "McAfee.Security Scan Plus" (a lesser product) to me.

I am concerned at the prospect of having two different levels of the same product installed on my machine.

I would select "Install Updates Automatically", If I could be 110% percent sure that other software won't suddenly be on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Optional 3rd party offers are only offered in the web download, as the user has to acknowledge/approve the inclusion of the optional offer.  Background Updates (install updates automatically option) only updates Flash Player, no other optional offers are included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too accidently installed the True Key. When I look in my programs, it is not listed...anywhere. I am guessing that means its bundled. Buggers!  Can I unstall adobe and reinstall without losing access to my docs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True Key is not 'bundled'.  It's a completely separate software that installs itself, with Control Panel entry enabling it to be uninstalled.  Removal instructions are available at https://help.truekey.com/hc/en-us/articles/212870718-How-do-I-uninstall-the-True-Key-app-from-my-Win...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really makes me angry! The installer does not warn you about True Key at first - that portion of the screen is blank and it only appears after a few seconds. Like probably most people, I had already read the page and clicked on Install before it appeared. I never even saw it the first time, only when I went back and looked.

I have just had to go to great lengths to get this crap off my computer! Adobe should not be bundling crapware by default. They have always been a reputable company which I have always trusted, and I don't expect them to resort to low-down spam like this. What next? Geekbuddy bundled with Adobe software? Enigma SpyHunter? "Bigger penis" offers? Just how low will Adobe sink for cash?

Anything which has to be sneakily "bundled" with other software is obviously not something anyone would ever want on their computer and I would never touch it on that principle alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@m_vargas I recently attended a software development Microsoft meeting/training that required Flash.

I was reluctant because of past experience (never on my new Surface Pro 4).

None of the caveats you mentioned above apply and the bloatware was installed by default. I'm a software developer, and I'm all about detail. I'm also patient, normally.

Adobe, just stop, please. Do not install bloatware by default. Requiring users to "opt out" or uninstall is not proper or even moral (it is sneaky).

I don't envy you @m_vargas, defending the indefensible. It's life sucking. Please turn whatever energy you may have left toward Adobe who is perpetuating this frustration. It's not right to do what you do, Adobe - install bloatware by default.

Please don't do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the OPTIONAL software should not DEFAULT to a CHECKED status.  This is simply a way to catch users in a hurry and falsely bolster numbers of bloatware installations.  Not to mention the fact that I did not even see the page with these options and the download that completed included the OPTIONAL software.  How low and petty can your marketing methods be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you have javascript disabled or ad-blockers enabled in your system you will not be able to see the optional offers. Once you have installed Flash Player, we recommend you to select "Allow Adobe to install updates". It would automatically update your Flash Player to the latest version and you will not be directed to the offerings page.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Must we life affirming to support massive trickery and exploitation with the lovely proffesional tone of writing. 

"It is your own fault that you are now encumbered with the annoyance of removing unwanted, unsought-for bloatware.
You should have just opted out. If you had not been a silly little user and only followed these 3 steps, (that you had no way of knowing beforehand) we would not have this problem, now would we?

All you needed to do was simple:
1. enable javascript,

2. disable adblock,

and 3 wait ten seconds for teh scam..- I mean the opt-out options to appear.

It is pretty clear that the fault lies with you, the silly little user and not with the pristine morality of the cooporation.

THANK´S!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The True Key garbage drives me nuts when I deploy computers. I install Flash on their computers and I'm careful not to install True Key.

Within a couple of months, I look at the user's computer, and True Key is suddenly on there, even though they haven't installed anything new. My guess is that the Adobe Flash Auto Updater is silently pushing True Key back on the system every time Flash Player runs an update.

Either way it's just so scummy, it's as bad as the bloatware Sun forces onto users who think they need Java.

Really, Adobe, you really need that extra $0.001 kickback from Intel and McAfee for every person you trick into installing this garbage when all they want to do is use Flash Player to watch a video from a site that hasn't switched to HTML5 yet?

The bloatware sneak-in is a really classless act. 2017 is the year I remove Flash Player from all my user's computers and use Group Policy to prevent them from reinstalling it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines