• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import Photo's library to Lightroom?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just started using Lightroom and subscripted for a year. I have about 12.000 pictures in a Photo's Library that I wanted to import but it says my library is not a Photo's Library and it is not possible to import older libraries. I checked it out but this library is not an old iPhoto library, it is a Photo's library.

Does anyone know if there is a solution for this?

I added a screenshot of the error I am getting every single time I tried. It is in Dutch since I downloaded the Dutch version. Literally it says: Your selection is no iPhoto-Library. (the importprogram-plug-in expects version 9.5.1. or higher). My new Macbook Pro is just 1 week old and the OS version is brand, all is updated.

I cannot find any solution on the web for this particular problem. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Schermafbeelding 2016-06-22 om 23.35.40.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Hi ervanheel,

The Lightroom plugin is designed to import the images from Apple's iPhoto, however now iPhoto is not supported by Apple and it has been changed to Photos app, that is the reason you are getting the above message.

Please check the following link for how to import images from Apple Photos to Lightroom: can photos stored in the new Apple Photos be quickly transferred to Lightroom? I am not at all happy with this new apple…

Let me know if it helps.

Regards

Tanuj

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ervanheel,

The Lightroom plugin is designed to import the images from Apple's iPhoto, however now iPhoto is not supported by Apple and it has been changed to Photos app, that is the reason you are getting the above message.

Please check the following link for how to import images from Apple Photos to Lightroom: can photos stored in the new Apple Photos be quickly transferred to Lightroom? I am not at all happy...

Let me know if it helps.

Regards

Tanuj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photos Library is not your images and the actual Library file from Photos can't be imported into LR.

You will either have to Export all your images from Photos to some place on your hard drive then Import those Photos Exported images into LR.

Or if you don't mind loosing all your edits you can find all the original images in a Mac Package file (Folder) under your username > Pictures > Photos Library.photoLibrary. Right click on that file and select "Show Package Contents. It will open up to many subfolder one of which is called Masters. In that Masters folder you will find all your original images under other Subfolder usually by Dates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses. So that means I will have 2 photo libraries, 1 for the Photos app, 1 for Lightroom. The strange thing is that if I watch this "Masters" file, it only shows pictures from 2014, 2015, 2016. I have photo's in this Library since I use Mac, which started in 2008. Is there a possibility to check if those photos have been added to these master files without manually scrolling through the whole collection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ervanheel wrote:

Thanks for the responses. So that means I will have 2 photo libraries, 1 for the Photos app, 1 for Lightroom.

Ideally (in my opinion) you will only be using one software to catalog and edit your photos, and so whichever one you choose, there will need to be only one photo library. (And backups on a different physical disk) Using two such programs concurrently really doubles your work and increases the possibliity of confusion, and the two programs don't speak to one another so changes in one program are not reflected in the other program.

The strange thing is that if I watch this "Masters" file, it only shows pictures from 2014, 2015, 2016. I have photo's in this Library since I use Mac, which started in 2008. Is there a possibility to check if those photos have been added to these master files without manually scrolling through the whole collection?

I don't use Photos, but certainly there must be a function to search for photos by date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cant find one, since I did a Sync with iCloud to have all my pics. All the pics now have the same date. What is strange is that in Photos I can search for dates, but not in the "Masters" map. Looks like there is just one option, that is searching for the exact picture (or group of pictures) I want to import in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What Date are you looking at?

If you are using Finder they may all have the same "File Creation Date". That is when the File was placed on the hard drive, Not when it was taken.

I doubt Apple allows Photos to change the actual date the image was taken. In LR that would be the "Date Time Digitized" and the "Date Time Original". In other words the capture time and date as it was placed into the Metadata if the image file by the camera.

As I stated above if you want all your original files you will have to get them Out Of the Masters folder inside that Package folder.

I totally agree with dj_paige. Using more than one cataloging program is foolish and confusing.

Pick one and stick with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines