• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Word Documents with Images

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2008 Jun 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, When I import word document in to Robohelp, it imports the images also. Now, I have duplicate images in multiple topics. How do I avoid duplicate images being imported? Is there anyway, where I can collate and store all the images in a single folder, instead of saving it in multiple folders?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum

I think I understand what you mean.

When you import document one, it has an image called Screen1. When you import the next document, it has the same image so you don't want it imported. Is that the case? If not then we need some clarification.

If that is the problem, the import routine has no way of knowing that two different images are the same. Having the same name would not help as a I could create an image of a man and an image of a woman, then give the file name man.jpg to both. Filename is the same, image is not.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.. That is my problem. When I have 10 word documents to import, and all 10 documents have some images in common, my project stores duplicate images. I want to avoid this. Is there any work around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the beauty of creating the content in RH, you don't get that problem.

When importing, there is no way I know of avoiding that problem precisely because RH has no way of knowing the image is the same.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My simple solution is after import, go into the Design view and manually replace the image with the one you already have in the project... Ugly but it's the only way that works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2008 Jun 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possible solution is to replace your images in the Word documents with the path to the image. Or some other tracking feature that you can then update later.

I never did get this off the ground, but I had an idea to handle the fact that our documents tend to have one or more warning or information icons. Within Word, I have an AutoText that inserts [msg_warn] or [msg_info]. When the Word documents are imported into RoboHelp, then I would run a global search and replace [msg_warn] with the path to the warning icon.

If you can be organized enough to pull that off, it may work out. Unfortunately, things didn't work that way for my projects, but it was a nice thought.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2008 Jun 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice idea... I too have a Warning and Note icon repeated on almost every page.. but I don't find it too much bother to paste over the top with the "proper" icon after importing 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2008 Jun 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
quote:

Originally posted by: markpud
Nice idea... I too have a Warning and Note icon repeated on almost every page.. but I don't find it too much bother to paste over the top with the "proper" icon after importing :)

You're right. One reason this plan never came to fruition is because this doesn't take a lot of time.

When I first came aboard, I envisioned a lot of importing of Word documents where each change was done to a Word doc (complete with macros and useful AutoText) and then imported into RoboHelp. Then, a global search would take care of the image problem. But that isn't really our MO, so this never happened.

Although, it's a great way to create a new project. Author your Word documents with meaningful characters to represent each icon. Then when you import everything, just include the graphic once and then do a global search.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp