Can't download Adobe Flash Player

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Operating System: Windows 7

Mozilla Firefox: Latest Version

Flash Player Version: None

For the past week or so I've been trying to view twitch streams but my browser would either crash or display a message saying "Couldn't load plugin". I've searched on the internet what the issue might be and I found that I had to install/update/reinstall Adobe Flash Player. I uninstalled it but now I'm getting the following error: "Insufficient user privileges to install application." I was previously using the browser Opera but I changed because I thought that it might be a problem with the browser. I now use Mozilla Firefox, and when I go to twitch my browser after 2-3 seconds crashes. I am using the admin user of the computer. I can't do a 30 day restore because I've modified alot of files since then.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The insufficient user privileges error normally indicates permissions issues on the file system and Flash Player can't write to the system.  To verify, please provide the FlashInstall.log file saved at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash.  If this is a 64-bit OS, then also provide the FlashInstall.log file saved at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash.  Upload the file(s) to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document and post the link to the uploaded file(s) in your reply.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried opening the logfiles and I didn't have permission to open them. Now it's stuck on uploading Gyazo - 1a4097602664f66fd9088f5919a627fe.png when I click on Create Link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I  don't recall an instance where the log files were not accessible.  Usually the permissions issue is on one of the Flash Player files, not the log file.  Please see the Microsoft support article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/968003  for assistance.  The article mentions Windows Updates, but the permission error you're seeing is usually associated with a Microsoft ACCESS_DENIED error (that's why I wanted to look at the log file to verify what the Microsoft error was).  Following the instructions on this page will reset all file system and registry permissions to what they're supposed to be.  You should be able to install Flash Player after running the script on the Microsoft support document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright I'm gonna check it out, but I have a question. Is it gonna possibly affect any files that I have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can very well affect existing files as it will go through the entire file system and registry and reset permissions.

Alternatively, you can try a more restrictive approach by following the instructions in this FAQ: Troubleshoot Flash Player install issues related to Windows registry permissions This one will only reset permissions on Flash Player registry entries and files.  I recommended the other one first as it has been more beneficial to users than the more restrictive one.

I would recommend performing a system backup (and registry backup) before running either one of these, just in case something goes awry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files I'm mainly worried about being affected are mostly doc and excel files. Are these in any danger of being modified or deleted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you run the more restrictive script (from the Adobe FAQ) it won'd touch any of those files.  The script from Microsoft might, but I don't think it will delete them, however, it could modify the permissions.  It all depends what state your system is in.  I would save a copy of the files (externally) in case something does happen to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran the script from Microsoft and it still happens. Apparently my Adobe Flash Player is up to date. But I still don't understand why I have insufficient privileges. Is it because it's updated?. I still don't understand why my browser crashes whenever I go on to Twitch though. Could you help me out on that one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Twitch actually using Flash Player on your machine?  In generally, it's HTML5 video.  You can confirm by right-clicking on the video.  If it says About Flash Player, it's ours, and the following video troubleshooting would apply.  If not, it's a problem with video playback in the browser itself.  Making sure you have current Graphics drivers is a good place to start though.

Please work through the video troubleshooting guide.

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/video-playback-issues.html

For the permissions issue, if you have administrative rights already and you're running into permission problems, it's a good indication that the filesystem is corrupt.  This could be an indication that your disk is on the way out, and it would be smart to backup anything critical before giving the disk a workout with any scan and repair tools.

Once your backup situation is in order, I'd start by just using the regular windows facilities for basic disk maintenance:

Check your hard disk for errors - Windows 7:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2641432

Repair any problems you find.  If you're still having trouble, manually uninstall Flash Player using the directions below.  It's very likely that you won't be able to complete the steps (you won't be able to delete something), at which point you'll have found your corrupted file.  There are lots of third-party utilities that might help.  There's a utility called Unlocker that usually works for me, and will get the file into a state where it can be deleted. Again, I'd make a good backup before doing invasive stuff with the filesystem, just in case things go sideways. 

http://filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

Performing a Clean install of Flash Player on Windows:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit confused by this comment "Apparently my Adobe Flash Player is up to date. But I still don't understand why I have insufficient privileges. Is it because it's updated?"

Insufficient permissions error usually happens at install time.  Running the Microsoft script would have fixed the permissions on the registry and file system.  Where are you seeing the insufficient permissions error?  Please attach a screnshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It loads up to 70-75% then I get this error: f1357d40cd41f5f15bf8008f32a2f3f2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

The scripts I previously mentioned (Troubleshoot Flash Player install issues related to Windows registry permissions and/or https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/968003​) should fix the permissions issue (if run correctly).

Can you try accessing the FlashInstall.log file at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash, and if 64-bit OS at C:\Windows \SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash again?

Also, if you have Flash Player installed (you stated previously you did), please go to https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html and click the Check Now button. Post a screenshot of the resulting system information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright so, I ran yesterday the Microsoft script and nothing really changed. Now I ran the Flash script and I think it's fixed. The streams are dropping some frames though every few seconds when I watch them from Firefox. When I use Opera it gets smoother. Here's the screenshot you asked for: cd0f6b564fa407ae726a066bca79abb2.pngI was also able to access  the FlashInstall.log file at C:\Windows \SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash. Also I installed an anti-malware program and it said something about Windows corrupt files. That message was displayed before I ran the Flash script. Now I'm gonna run it again and see if I still get the message. What exactly happens when there are Windows corrupt files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, the operating system's files don't exist just for fun.  If they're corrupt, they either don't work, crash, or work in some other unpredictable manner ranging between perfectly fine and totally weird.  It's hard to know.  What you *do* know is that they're messed up.

It sort of like noticing a handful of random bolts that fell off under your car.  What do they do?  Do they matter?  Who knows.  It's probably better to put them back they way they were supposed to be installed.  You might never notice that they're missing, or your transmission might fall off on the freeway.  It's obviously not right, but predicting the side-effects is a hard and unnecessary exercise, compared to just repairing the operating system installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines