Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help Jumps Converting to Popups - HELP!

Jun 13, 2008 Jun 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Major issue here. I am maintaining a large, nearly 15-year old help system that has thousands of topics and links, and nearly 30 different source Word/RTF files. Suddenly, with no intentional changes whatsoever to my system or the source files, when I compile the project, the jumps that take the user to a different topic are converted to popup links in an entire document, and all of its constituent topics. What is worse is that this behavior is capricious; in some of the documents, when I check their properties, it says the links are popups, but to not compile as such, in other documents, when I check their properties, it says the links are popups, and they do compile as popups.

Here's what I have done and figured out so far: (1) I have checked the styles of the offending links. It seems that a single underlined word compiles as a popup link, and a double-underlined word compiles as a regular jump to a new topic, (2) The offending styles -- and there are dozens per document, thanks to numerous authors over the years and Word's lame handling of styles -- when changed back to the correct style, sometimes keep their style, other times revert back to the wrong style.

I am at wit's end. Does anyone know what to do? Changing to another help platform is not an option.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help you with the specifics but are you running the project from and generating to your local drive.

Any backups?

With a copy somewhere safe, I would try deleting the RTFs and then reopening the project. That recreates the RTFs from the DOCs and can get rid of corruptions.

Have you changed your version of Word since the proejct was last worked on? If so which version of Word and RH are you using? Also after you upgraded Word, did you uninstall and reinstall RH?

Sorry there is nothing that nails it but one of those might just help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
> Any backups?

Daily. There is no software that I trust so much that I risk losing a day's work!

> With a copy somewhere safe, I would try deleting the RTFs and then reopening the project. That recreates the RTFs from the DOCs and can get rid of corruptions.

I am going to try this. It seems to me that I have done this before when I had problems and it has worked, but I doubt it will this time, as I have tried using a completely unrelated project and had the same problem. But it's worth a try!

> Have you changed your version of Word since the project was last worked on? If so which version of Word and RH are you using? Also after you upgraded Word, did you uninstall and reinstall RH?

No changes since I last used the project, though my company regularly pushes various mandatory Microsoft Security updates. (I am on XP as an OS. Word 2002, and am using RH X5.) It hasn't been that long since I used the project, so there haven't been that many OS updates since.

My suspicion is that RoboHelp has somehow gone hinky, and perhaps there was a MS update that did it. I just downloaded and installed the 5.02 patch, and will try that. I will try the RTF fix next, and if that doesn't work, I guess it's time to uninstall/reinstall. If that doesn't work, I guess I will need to try a different machine. If that doesn't work...I guess it may be time to look for a new job!

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp