Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images - RoboSourceControl Issues

Jun 13, 2008 Jun 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our team of 8 people is currently working on a RH7 project that has over 200+ images. We are running into some major issues with how these are stored in the project. I will list them below.
1. What is the best way to house 200+ images. I don't see a dedicated folder to house them. Currently they appear at the bottom of the project because of RoboSourceControl (RSC). We tried moving them to folders, but RSC does seem to sync them properly. Is there any place in RH to manage hundreds of images effectively?
2. I was surprised to find that popups were only designed for topics, so consequently we have to copy and paste the file path into the popup dialog box because images do not appear in any of the drop downs.

I guess what it boils down to is we are really confused on the best way to handle images with source control enabled. Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
if your only goal is to avoid seeing the long list of images (and forgive me if I am simplifying your issue), then you can click on the Show / Hide button at the top of the Project Manager pane (the button looks like a blue filter), and deselect Images. When you do that, all image files, no matter what project folder they are stored in, disappear from view. You can restore them to view when you need to work on them.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, stlsrt4

What product are you using? RoboHelp for Word or RoboHelp HTML?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp for HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi stlsrt4 -

You say you tried to move the graphics to folders, but had problems. How did you try to accomplish this, and what was it that failed?

There isn't an inherent problem with having large numbers of graphics in a subfolder. With RSC, it's usually the act of moving a lot of files that is the problem, especially at the root level.

G.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Gravenstein
Hi stlsrt4 -

You say you tried to move the graphics to folders, but had problems. How did you try to accomplish this, and what was it that failed?

There isn't an inherent problem with having large numbers of graphics in a subfolder. With RSC, it's usually the act of moving a lot of files that is the problem, especially at the root level.

G.

This is what we wanted to accomplish.

Project Files
-->Images (Folder)
-->Report Images (Folder)
reportImages.htm (This holds the references to the report image so that is shows up in the project. We don't want this here, but RH needs the image to be in a topic before it shows up on the screen.)
image.jpg
-->Secretary Images (Folder)
secretaryImages.htm (This holds the references to the secretary image so that is shows up in the project. We don't want this here, but RH needs the image to be in a topic before it shows up on the screen.)
image2.jpg

I thought we could just create the directory structure are pre-load all the images into the correct location so that the users could add them to their topics. I never realized that I would have to create a topic, add the image, them move the image from the root to the folder and hope SC syncs it correctly. Consequently, all this back and forth moving of images from the root to the appropriate directories is causing some users not to see all the images in their project.

I'm just really disappointed that managing images within RH with SC seems to be an after-thought. Out of the hundreds of topics that SC manages our biggest problem is getting the images referenced and loaded properly. I'm at the point of just having RH manage them at the root level because it seems that what the program likes, but it is very confusing to have hundreds of images that you have to sift through. Our development team is going crazy over this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't have to go through all those contortions. You can add an image to a topic directly if you browse to it.

If you have a folder in your project named Images, then a common approach would be as follows:

1. Using Windows Explorer, author places the gif/jpg in the Images folder.
2. In RH, author navigates to a topic.
3. From that topic, the author selects Insert Image.
4. In the Image dialog box, author clicks the browse button. (The folder icon at the upper right of the dialog box...at least that's where it is in RH6.) Ignore the "Images in project folders" list.
5. Author navigates to the project Images folder and selects the image.
6. Author confirms, closes, etc.
7. Author is done. RH and RSC take care of the rest.

Try it, and let me know if that works. The key is browsing to the image in your filesystem, not looking for it in the RH list.

HTH,
G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you need to rename your images so that they appear less confusing, even in the same folder. If they can be grouped into, say, 20-30 categories, then you could use a 2-3 character prefix to identify each image.

It can be incredibly gratifying when you stop smashing your face into cinder blocks.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess we were trying to avoid having 200+ images appear in the root level of the project. It would be so much easier if RoboHelp either made the images invisible within the IDE or condensed the images into a special 'Images' folder within RoboHelp. Nonetheless, thanks for the suggestions and I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if your only goal is to avoid seeing the long list of images (and forgive me if I am simplifying your issue), then you can click on the Show / Hide button at the top of the Project Manager pane (the button looks like a blue filter), and deselect Images. When you do that, all image files, no matter what project folder they are stored in, disappear from view. You can restore them to view when you need to work on them.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I swear the simplest solutions are sometimes the best. I just noticed, after you mentioned the blue filter, there is also a button called 'Toggle Project Manager View' that collapses all the images into a folder called 'Images'. Which is exactly what we wanted. Thanks everyone for all their help. It is very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi there

That view is called "Classic" view. Unfortunately, it's not the default view when you open RoboHelp 7.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp