Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does the glossary tab no appear? Using Robohelp 10

Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Robohelp 10 and currently have three projects going.  One of the projects I inherited and I am doing upkeep, the glossary tab works in this project.  One is also inherited and the glossary tab does not appear on this project.  The last is a practice, new project and the glossary tab does not appear on this project either.  Is there a .dll file that I need?  Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

It might be helpful to know exactly which output type you are producing.

If it's Microsoft HTML Help (CHM) you will need to ensure that the HHActiveX.dll files are shipped and installed. (I said "files" because there are now two. One for 32 bit Windows and one for 64 bit Windows).

If it's WebHelp or Responsive or other, you may need to examine the SSL recipe to ensure the Glossary is configured to show.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick.  I've seen that answer before.  And we are using Microsoft HTML Help (.chm).  However, I do not have administrative privileges so I cannot move or install any .dll file.  Are these files that should have been part of the install of Robohelp 10?  I did a search and found 3 copies of HHActiveX.dll in my Program Files (X86) folder.

RoboHTML C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RobeoHelp 10

Redist C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp10

x64 C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp10\Redist

Where are they supposed to be and is there a different name for the 32 bit vs. 64 bit?

Also, just out of curiosity, why does one project display the glossary tab, but the other two don't?

Thanks,  Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Ahhh the wonderful mysteries of our new 64 bit operating systems.

So here's the deal. If your Windows operating system is 64 bit, when you open a CHM file by just double-clicking it in say, Windows File Explorer, the Windows operating system launches the 64 bit version of the HTML Help viewer. And in that case, it would expect to find the 64 bit version of the DLL.

Now, RoboHelp HTML is a 32 bit application. So when you compile a CHM file and you click the "View Result" button after it compiles, RoboHelp launches the 32 bit version of the HTML Help viewer. And in that case, it would expect to find the 32 bit version of the DLL.

Based on your report, it would seem that RoboHelp doesn't actually register both versions of the DLL. And it's entirely possible to have one or the other registered, both registered or neither registered. And depending on how you were opening the CHM file, you would see exactly what you are reporting here.

Fortunately I've created a video that might be helpful. Just click the link below.

RoboWizard

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I found the answer.  The .dll file was already loaded, so that wasn't the problem.  I finally found under Project Setup>Windows that the New Window had a small globe which I am assuming means something about the Web.  I created a new Window and chose Microsoft HTML Help and lo and behold there was the checkbox to turn on the Glossary.  It now works.  Always look for the simple solution first I guess. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Live and learn, eh?

Indeed, when you looked at the Windows in the Output Setup area, you likely only saw a WebHelp window defined. These are indicated by the globe icon.

tmp2.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp