• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot uninstall Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 from Mac.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks. I am on a Macbook Pro running Yosemite OS version 10.10.5.

I cannot uninstall Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 from my Mac.

Things I have tried that do not work:

- dragging the application (with all associated folders) into the trash and emptying the trash

- pressing the "eject" button on ADE in the finder, then dragging application into trash and emptying trash

- downloading and running CC cleaner

- searching for all related files on computer and deleting

- re-downloading Adobe Digital Editions 4.5, deleting the application, and emptying the trash

- force quitting and re-launching Finder

- hiding ADE from Finder sidebar

- ejecting ADE (it just comes back)

Although the application is presumably "deleted," it continues to show up like this in EVERY SINGLE FILE FOLDER on my computer.

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 6.25.15 PM.png

The only remaining trace of this program on my computer exists here, but it refuses to allow me to delete it:

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 6.32.11 PM.png

When I click to open Digital Editions 4.5 Installer.pkg, it simply makes me reinstall again.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for getting this terrible program off my computer. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has you also try to uninstall Digital Edition over the uninstall file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nanaky, can you elaborate. What do you mean by "uninstall Digital Edition over the uinstall file"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2016 Jul 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the folder of Digital Edition. In this should found a file for uninstall the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nanaky, I trashed all Digital Editions files on my computer but am still experiencing this issue (ADE graphic shows up in every single file viewer).

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 6.24.53 PM.png

I decided to re-download the program so that I could search for the uninstall file, which you explain is located in the files for Adobe Digital Editions.

Here are the available files in the ADE contents.

Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 10.07.03 AM.png

Here are the expanded files. I could not locate any uninstall file.

Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 10.02.56 AM.png

I searched for an uninstall file in the ADE contents. These are the results, and the message I received when clicking on the results.

Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 10.14.42 AM.png

In conclusion, it appears that there is no uninstall file located in the ADE contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And under Finder > Programms > Utlitis > Adobe Installer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nanaky, the program is installed on my computer, but there is no uninstaller included in Finder > Applications > Utilities > Adobe Installer.

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 7.31.54 AM.png

Is there a location where I can download the Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 Uninstaller?

I have googled "download Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 Uninstaller" but there are no clear options to download this online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😮 that the right folder.... this is strange. Better you ask a staff person if have a idee for you. I have no more idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help Nanaky! I wish Adobe actually had customer service 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a costfree product. So only help over forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I am having exactly the same problem. If you find a solution, could you please post it here? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you found a solution??

i have the same issue.

Adobe can't provide my any uninstaller and keep telling to search the answer through forums ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bump! Revisiting because I still have this problem!! I hate you Adobe Digital Editions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP reporting in, for anyone still suffering from this problem. After a year of living with this trash software haunting my computer, I finally made it to an Apple Genius Bar. Within five minutes the guy completely freed my computer of this junk.

A few things he did:

- ran malwareBytes Adwcleaner, deleted a couple files that come up after the scan and restarted the computer

- went into the Library and deleted ADE files

- completely cleared the cache

- emptied the trash (where the ADE installer was lurking, forever running and refusing to be closed or deleted)

Voila. Like magic, gone. So give this sequence a try, and if all else fails ask an apple genius. Good luck and godspeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe Digital Editions is indeed a horrible app - a piece of junk, and deserving of every negative rating it's received (and there's quite a few of those!). I wound up here after searching for uninstall information on ADE, after first checking that there was no 'uninstaller' provided (a$$hulls!) . After reading comments here, I was prepared for the worst.

All that said, I've just completed the uninstall manually, and (fingers crossed) don 't seem to have any issues. Here's what I did for the benefit of others who wind up here:

1. Installed a copy of MalwareBytes

[altho' it didn't seem to be necessary in this case, I think it's good to have it]

2. Did a search in 'Finder' for "Adobe Digital Edition" (in quotes, inside Finder's search bar, just as shown)

[it found an .xml file in my "Documents" folder, which led me to a nest of ADE-related folders, and containing the single book that was the reason for installing ADE in the first place]

3. I made sure that ADE was not running by checking 'Activity Monitor'

4. In the Applications folder, I "Trashed" two ".app" files with ADE in their name

[one was a small file of only a few hundred bytes... no idea what its purpose was, but guaranteed not for the user's benefit]

5. Deleted/Trashed ADE-related folders

[one in my Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Digital Edition, one in my "Documents" folder as mentioned above]

6. Emptied the Trash

Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines