• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alternative to QuickTime Animation - alpha channel & small size?

Engaged ,
Jun 01, 2016 Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I'm searching for a replacement to the QT Animation codec I used to use for video files needed with an alpha channel on a Windows system.

• Apple QuickTime does not support Windows anymore and I'm scratching my head to find a good intermediate video container/codec that supports alpha channels for graphical overlays.  I'm looking for something that exports a 10 minute clip to smaller than or around 1 or 2 gigs.  Compression is acceptable.   I reuse these overlays on every video I export and I found there was a large time reduction in exporting RGBA footage rather than Dynamic Link to After Effects.

• My best guess is to use JPEG 2000 Level 1 in an .MXF wrapper?   Any other suggestions or thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016
  • JPEG 2000 lvl1 it is. I receive an error in premiere when importing JPEG 2000 MXFs, but somehow overnight the error went away.  The 10 minute file came in at 976,326 KB which is ~1.5 GB smaller than the QT Animation codec. Should have been using that all along.

• I tried the PNG sequence, and it was the smallest (I think), but the fact it cannot be contained in a single file makes it unusable in our workflow.
  • I tried Targa sequence, which was much larger 34k vs 8,000k.
  • I tried GoPro Cineform, which

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best guess sounds correct.  However, I wouldn't 10 minutes at just 1 or 2 gigs.  I expect the file size will be larger.

But I've been known to be wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, QuickTime 7 works just fine on Windows 10 for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.png sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• JPEG 2000 lvl1 it is. I receive an error in premiere when importing JPEG 2000 MXFs, but somehow overnight the error went away.  The 10 minute file came in at 976,326 KB which is ~1.5 GB smaller than the QT Animation codec. Should have been using that all along.

• I tried the PNG sequence, and it was the smallest (I think), but the fact it cannot be contained in a single file makes it unusable in our workflow.
  • I tried Targa sequence, which was much larger 34k vs 8,000k.
  • I tried GoPro Cineform, which although is listed as QT still worked without QT installed.  It worked well, but the files turned out to be astronomical in size and much larger than QT Animation.
  • I tried DNxHD, but the files were too large, and I didn't find any RGBA options for export even though the format spec supports it.
  • I tried AVI (uncompressed), wow.  File size would have taken a hard drive per clip.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, if anyone reading this knows of a better way please share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try QT JPEG 2000. You should be able to access that from any version of AE on any platform. AE and PPro will decode the footage even without the QT Player installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't be the only guy trying to find an alternative. The QT for Windows support pages on apple.com must have some vivid and likely censored threads on what your folks are going to do now.

I had to look up JPEG2000 to check the alpha ability. Never knew that codec could carry an alpha. Learn something new all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou! I've just spent the last hour trying to find an alpha codec replacement for a bunch of Quicktime Animation files I regularly use and this helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh the search of the Holy D.I. - the ultimate question - how do I get lossless quality and small size and reasonable render time? what to do when I need Alpha? how about 10bit? how can we make a living without Quicktime support? after going back and forth with this for a long time, making comparison tables and consulting with Ae users on different platforms (CreativeCow, AElist, and here), what I have found out is this:

• Quicktime Support on Windows - to my understanding this topic is still in debate with no definite answer from Apple or Adobe. what I understand is that the problem is with Quicktime player so a rule of thumb based on advice given here and on other platforms is to install just the basic install of Quicktime with the main components, and not the player, and you will be fine.

• Quicktime Png - will give you smallest file size and maximum quality + Alpha support - for small sequences that you need to deliver via Web it is the best. the downsize that it will render the slowest. this is a comparison table but not taking into account the Alpha.

tested with 3:33 minutes of compressed MP4 Video File 2880x2880. No Alpha

CodecFile SizeRender Time
QT Png20GB   135 minutes
QT Animation40GB15 minutes
QT PhotoJpeg 100%9 GB 12 minutes

Quality Test after: look exact at 400% scanning for noise and Luminance/Color differences

• DnxHD - heard about it only recently because editors wanted to work with that and to get this codec back - can be 10bit and Alpha - you just need to put the settings right in Ae. the interface is too complicated.

• Quicktime Animation will render very fast and it is reliable and popular codec that support alpha with the maximum quality. it will give you a very large file size, but if you are in a server based environment (I work also in a news channel) and need to deliver fast without a problem in terms of file size - this is the way to go.

• Png Sequence - is great if you need to render bit by bit (you can select "skip existing files") and it does have 10bit and alpha. it can be your best friend if you have a big high resolution project and you want to pre-render certain parts so it won't take forever at the end.

• MagicYUV - I just finished a project using that codec and the results were amazing. on Windows you do need to install the codec (it's free). it does have Alpha and 10Bit but did not run full tests. (only made sure it can produce an Alpha)

tested with 5 seconds of 9624x1080 Composition in Ae rendering a pre-render layer of Png Sequence

CodecSize
Render TIME
Animation3.3GB 36 Seconds
DNxHR 8 BIT HIGH QUALITY 0.55GB 33 Seconds
Cineform Pro 0.45GB 22 Seconds
PhotoJpeg 100% 0.58GB 33 Seconds
MagicYUV-8BIT  1GB     13 Seconds!!!!

Tested the same Composition with Effects and Animation without the pre-rendered layer

CodecSize
Render TIME
Animation673MB 1 minute,25 Seconds
DNxHR 8 BIT HIGH QUALITY 213MB     1 minute, 24 Seconds

Quality test After: at 200% - Photojpeg - a mild grainines,  Cineform and DNxHR that look a bit washed on the reds.

• PhotoJpeg - will render fast and give good quality. on some cases it is a good D.I. on other cases (especially with graphics) it can give poor results

• Jpeg2000 - did not know it could carry Alpha will give you good results and same render time and size as Photojpeg and better quality when you render half or quarter size for Proxy or Preview. thinking to work with that instead of Photojpeg.

My Conclusion and Workflow so far:

1. if I need to deliver 10 seconds of graphics on Alpha on  the Web - I will use QT PNG. if it's in a server based environment where I need to deliver fast - QT Animation.

2. if I need proxy or preview of a high res composition- I will render Photojpeg 75% or Jpeg 2000 and set resolution to quarter.

3. if I need High Res (above HD) D.I for delivery to an editor - I will use MagivYUV. and if it's on Windows I will give them the installation file.

4. if I need HD for delivery to an editor, 10Bit, Alpha or No - I will give him DNxHD.

5. if I need a D.I but to be the smallest file size and render time and it's not a graphic I will try PhotoJpeg 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great info thanks Roei,

One quick question though... (for the future in light of the lack of support for Quicktime)....

If MXF-JPEG2000 is

• better quality than PhotoJPEG
  • a lot faster than QT-PNG (5-6x faster on my machine)
  • carries an alpha channel at RGB4444 8, 10, or 12bits...

Wouldn't it make sense to use that for almost all of the deliveries?

I just did a 8-bit JPEG2000-lvl 3 render, it was roughly 6x faster than the QT-PNG, half the size, and I can't see the quality difference between it and QT-PNG at 400% zoom... thoughts apprecited!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey Daniel. if we are talking about the same Jpeg2000 (choosing Quicktime and on Format Options choosing Jpeg2000 - 100% Quality), I made another test on a recent project in 1920x1080 Composition with two types of Footage, Rendered as 8-bpc (there's is not 10bpc for these codecs):

1. All Graphics on Alpha - We will call this Graphics

Logo.gif

2. Vfx on Video Footage in the format of MXF 10bit - we will call this Video

video.gif

here is the Table

TypeCodecRender TimeFile Size
GraphicsJpeg2000 RGB+Alpha13 Sec12.2MB
Graphics

QT Png

RGB+ALPHA

19 Sec6.42MB
Video

Jpeg2000

RGB

7 Sec11.4MB
Video

QT Png

RGB

6 Sec11.8MB

Quality test: Exactly the same scanning for Luma/Chroma Changes or Noise Levels at 1600%

as you can see Png wins here in terms of file size on Alpha - almost half the size. on vfx shots, graphics that tend to be pretty short on Alpha, QT Png is my best bet for now and the test confirms it.  the Video test is also not so good for Jpeg2000. but I believe that as the video will be longer, Png will lose. I am guessing that for short duration D.I, I will stick with Quicktime Png, unless the editor want's 10Bit - in which case both Qt Png and Jpeg2000 do not support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I was using Media Encoder's JPEG2000 MXF OP1a settings... can you try that one?

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 2.45.11 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure there it is:

Type

Codec

Render Time

File Size

GraphicsJpeg2000 RGB+Alpha13 Sec12.2MB
Graphics

QT Png

RGB+ALPHA

19 Sec6.42MB
Graphics

JPEG2000* MXF OP1a

RGB+ALPHA

26 sec15.8MB
Video

Jpeg2000

RGB

7 Sec11.4MB
Video

QT Png

RGB

6 Sec11.8MB
Video

JPEG2000* MXF OP1a

RGB

7 sec4.47MB

*these were the settings for Jpeg2000 mxf op1a

quality test: all look the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, wow was this a helpful thread! Thanks so much for all this great info! Kudos to Roei T for taking the time to put all this info together.

I do have one question if anyone has time to answer. (Google didn't help me.).

What are the "Broadcast Profiles" in the AME settings, and why is "Level 5" the choice above? Just curious, as I like to understand these things rather than just using the "follow the cookbook recipe" approach.

Cheers,

Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a mistake in the the table of MagivYUV and wrote DNxHD instead of MagicYuv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also if you use more transparency than it becomes a smaller file with QT PNG codec

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Careful when using the JPEG2000 MXF OP1a codec. I've encountered issues with codec producing an unwanted black pixel bar on the top of the video clip. This happens when exporting OP1a to H264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as of today, Adobe released ProRes export on windows. so you can do ProRes4444 and the file will be rather small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this post. I've been trying to export out of character animator with a transparent background and the file size of the default Cineform GoPro codec is just outragiously large.  Settings as JPG2000 MXF with 4:4:4 8-bit Alpha at broadcast level 3 has super crisp edges and file size is much more managable. thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apple ProRes4444 with Alpha

Skip everything else.

Get used to large files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines