Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove hyperlink from PDF?

Oct 17, 2009 Oct 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro and I created a document from a web page.  I want to remove one of the hyperlinks from the front page.  I looked at the online support (see link below) which told me to

Delete a link

1. Select the Link tool or the Select Object tool .
  2. Select the link rectangle you want to delete.
  3. Choose Edit > Delete, or press the Delete key.

When I tried to do this, I could not find the Link tool, so I used the Select Object tool.  I selected the link to be deleted, but when I chose Edit > Delete, the Delete function was not available.  I then tried to press the Delete button on my computer but this did not work.

Does anyone know how I can delete a hyperlink from a web created PDF document?  Thank you!
TOPICS
ADE authorization

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2009 Oct 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post your question in the forum for Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes it looks like there is a link in the PDF when there isn't.  When the cursor is over a URL or e-mail address, Acrobat reads the text and lets you click is as a link, even when the document itself is only text with no defined link.

Try this (in Acrobat Standard or Pro):  Click on the Tools menu, Advanced Editing, and Link Tool.  Any links in the document will become visible as rectangles.  If no rectangles show, there are no links.  Another way to confirm would be to click on the Advanced menu, Document Processing, and Remove All Links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 18, 2013 Aug 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 1. Install PDF Editor

1) Download PDF Editor and install this software by double clicking the exe file. During the installation, please follow installation message and choose the right option according to your needs.

2) Once the installation finishes, there will be an icon on the desktop. Please launch this software by double clicking the icon.

Step 2. Remove Hyperlinks from PDF

1) The following snapshot is from the software interface. Please click option Open to add PDF file to software interface. Or you can simply drag PDF file to software interface.

2) Please find option Edit Link then click it. The mouse will turn to cross. Please drag area around the picture which will lead you to website.

3) Then there will be red rectangle frame around it. Right click the red frame and choose Property in the dropdown list. Then you will see the dialogue box like I showed in the left named Link Properties. Here you can set link actions, like open a page in a document, open a file or open a website file. Those options are useful when you need to add hyperlinks. Meanwhile it is helpful when you need to remove hyperlinks.

4) If there is link on the image, the link will be shown on the Property tab. Please simply remove it here and then click button OK to back to the main interface.

5) By this way, the link will be removed successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2016 Jul 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install PDF editor? Um, could you be a little more specific?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2013 Nov 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one works for Acrobat Pro (tried in Acrobat X and XI)

1. Click on Tools button on the right and choose 'Document Processing' (If not present, you might need to activate the 'Document Processing' tab by clicking on View Menu > Tools > Document Processing)

2. Click on 'Remove all links' option.

3. The warning tells you that this is non-reversible. Accept and it will tell you how many links were removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2016 Jul 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been 20 years since I first used PDF files, why the heck are there no simple editors for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To better ansewer your question: I literally had to do this at my job today so I came across this thread that lead to down the actual path to the right answer. 

The Setting your looking for is (macOS/Acrobat 2022) : Acrobat > Preferences > General Tab > Deselect "Create links from URLs" option. 

This option makes any link formated text on the document a hyperlink even if you havent create an actual link on the document. Save File and your good to go, hope it helps! 

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 11.00.26 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Pro 2017 and this worked for me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works perfectly when the end user opens the PDF in a Pro version or in Adobe Reader versions; however, when the PDF opens in a browser, the links are magically reinstated. Has anyone found a fix for that (other than inserting a picture of the URL instead of text)? Removing all links from the PDF before saving doesn't solve the issue either. Thanks for any intel! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when the PDF opens in a browser, the links are magically reinstated. Has anyone found a fix

By @Pro XI and Office 365

The pdf viewer in a browser is built in, I'm not sure if they have preferences. You could try looking for a pdf addon with either more options or so simple it won't do links. There is an Acrobat plugin for chrome, though I haven't tried it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the ideas -- the goal is that anyone opening the PDF in a browser of their choice will not find active links. So it's probably safest to stick to "Mickey Mouse" ways of masking any URLs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I DONT HAVE PRO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe will be happy to sell you a subscription. Their work is done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preference option to not create links is in standard too. Also, to remove existing links (like those on saved websites) in either standard or pro version:

At least in Acrobat 2017 Standard you can remove all links by going to "Edit PDF" (on the right sidebar or tools tab) > "Link" dropdown above page in the Edit PDF toolbar > "Remove Web Links..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines