• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Navigation Pane

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2008 Jun 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are trying to work around the map file to link in an application. To do this we would like the navigation pane to open when a direct page is pulled in the browser. Is there a simple way this can be done?

Example: One of my topics is called suspensions.html I would like to be able to directly link to suspensions.html inside the application and when the page is displayed it also pulls the navigation pane with it. I know I can place a javascript in to accomplish this but I don’t want to have to do that for each page every time I publish.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello jtncarter -

Do you call the Help from within the app? How?

We use a Help icon or hot key that tied to a JavaScript that reads the app "main" frame and passes that to the compiled Help startup html file - no "typical" App-to-RoboHelp map file involved. The JS is part of the app not the Help - I have nothing to do with it other than STRICT file naming to follow the app.

Using your post, we would have:

Application screen with Help button (calls Help): ../suspension/suspension.htm
Help calls to: ../help/startpage.htm
Help topic appended to call: ../help/suspension/suspension.htm

When in the app, on the "Suspension" screen, click the Help icon to launch context help for "Suspensions" along with the navigation pane.

Hope that help.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes its a big help. The problem is I have files in folders and that is creating a problem.

I have it linked in the application we are developing as...

Desktop\help\!SSL!\webhelp\help.htm#path\inspections\viewing_inspections.htm

The TOC pulls but I get a "page cannot be displayed" for the viewing_inspections.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 19, 2008 Jun 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello jtncarter -

Having files in folders is not the problem - location of the folders and path linked from the app may be your problem.

Place your generated Help in a second level folder under the app (root) such as:

(root)/
(root/help/
(root)/help/topic/

Then have the app call:

../help/(yourstartpage).htm(yourtopicappendmethod)

If, as you replied, you are calling "Desktop\help\!SSL!\webhelp\help.htm#path\inspections\viewing_inspections.htm" it will never work because you are calling a file that exists only on your workstation desktop.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2008 Jun 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I guess yesterday was just not my best day.

Thanks but until I learn the difference between a ( \ ) and a ( / ) nothing is going to work.

After I changed everything to ( / ) it worked fine. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp