• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create the dotted line as it is in the image bellow...

Participant ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Comunity, please help me someone how to reach the result as it is in the image i attached bellow. I have text box where is the text aligned to the left side and i want to fill the rest of the each rows with dotted line automaticly... I am creating the "track list" where on the right side on the end of the text box will be time.

indesign-cs6-help-and-tutorials-5-638.jpg

Ofcourse88

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three dots than space insert to leader field in tabs panel (CTRL+SHIFT+T) and than apply to your TOC style this.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's called a tab leader. You create it by selecting the tab stop in the Tab panel and then entering a period in the small "leader" field.

Let us know if you need more details and I'll spell it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karffe​

Video for you - Add dots in tabs, InDesign - YouTube

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The indicated leader in the screen grab looks more like underscore characters than dots used in the leader field, but here's an alternative method that I use: Define a custom underline using a dotted or dashed stroke and apply it to the tab as a character style (can be done as a nested style). An advantage to this method is it can be used easily with Right-indent tabs that keep the text aligned to the right edge even if you change the column width, regular tab leaders cannot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just as easy to apply a leader to a tab character that is before the end of the text. Then that leader will be applied to a right-aligned tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that requires an extra tab, which might be a problem in some text. Plus, with the underline you have more control over simple dots or dashes than you can get using periods or underscores. I often use the Japanese dots stroke style, for example, with it's smaller dots and set a light stroke weight to make the leader less obtrusive. You could also use it to change the color of the leader if you wish.

Underlined tabs are certainly not the only way to go -- it's a matter of personal choice -- but something to be considered if you want more control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I agree about the extra tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your comments. i did it within tab leader, but there is less control over it. As it is mentioned by Peter Spier, there is other way how to do it with character style etc. But i cannot do it, i do not know how... I do understand character style but i cannot set it up right. Could you please describe this method please more detail? Thank you!

Ofcourse88

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Underlines.png

Other options in the other sections of the dialog should be left blank. Choose the underline style that you prefer from the dropdown and adjust the offset to your liking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 01, 2016 Aug 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your print screen, could you describe way how to reach the visual style as it is on the attached picture on the top of this topic with this method please?

Ofcourse88

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2016 Aug 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I said, from the image in your first post it looks like an underscore used for the leader (is that what you did?). If so, then choose a dashed style from the dropdown instead of dots. You may have to define a new stroke style to get exactly the look you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines