Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign keeps crashing since most recent updates have been loaded

Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all...

Three of us here at work have updated our Creative Cloud applications (Bridge, InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator - three days ago) and since then have experienced frequent InDesign crashes.....it just unexpectedly quits for no good reason.  Once I was applying a gradient. Another time I was just nudging text over. Most recently I was adding a feather to a photo.  This problem is happening to all three of us which makes me think it is a problem with the updates?????

Help....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of a suite, such as CS6... or part of a Cloud subscription?

Either way,

When you ask a question you need to provide some basic information

-Forum quick start https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-5601

Mac or Windows, and EXACTLY which version of the operating system?

Recent Mac AND Windows operating systems have been known to cause "odd" problems

Are you using a computer Administrator account with full read/write permission?

Exactly which version of the program do you have that is causing problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi...sorry about that.  New to the forum.

I am on a PC (Windows 7 Professional).  I am using InDesign (2015) from my Creative Cloud subscription.  There were new CC updates on Monday that I've recently installed and this is where my troubles started from...

Since asking this problem, I've been to the Adobe Chat helpline about it and they are telling me that the problem may be because I'm working off a server.  He had me look at my error log on my Event Viewer and this is the message I got for each crash:

Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version: 11.4.0.90,
time stamp: 0x574c8600

Faulting module name: Public.dll, version: 11.4.0.90, time
stamp: 0x574c84e4

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000007d344

Faulting process id: 0xffc

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1ce21e5a7eca1

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe
InDesign CC 2015\InDesign.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign
CC 2015\Public.dll

Report Id: 31f4b518-3a16-11e6-995d-3085a9a961d4

He tells me that the Faulting Module: Public.dll are links from the server.  ????

I'm supposed to try putting files onto my main hard drive to test but not sure how that is going to work because:

1.  I don't crash all the time and it's not always because of a link....nudging text has made me crash as well, but never a second time after reboot.

2.  Don't understand why I would have issues with my server file now when I didn't BEFORE I installed the updates.

I'm thinking of uninstalling InDesign and then re-installing to see if that makes a difference.

Thoughts anyone??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, Adobe programs are not DESIGNED to...

1-be installed on and run from a server (1)

2-directly use files that are located on a server

If you are using files located on a server, you are very likely going to have inconsistent results... may work, or may not

(1) Solution for networks...

http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeanywhere/faq.html

Adobe Anywhere http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeanywhere.html

http://www.creativeimpatience.com/adobe-anywhere-enterprise-solution/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi....

Our programs are not running off the server...they are running off our individual hard drives.

The files are all on our servers.  I have NEVER worked for ANY design house in my 20+ years that does not work off a server so to tell me that working off a server is causing the issues sounds a bit far fetched to me!  Especially since we've never had this issue for ANY version of InDesign we've had before. ???  Plus...the designers who haven't updated are working just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'm having the same issue with the latest updates. Adobe thinks that 'us Professionals' are stupid. Just wish for once the developers could utilise the software for professional users and not first time designers. InDesign keep crashing on start up. Un-installed and re-installed. Worked fine. But as luck might have it, it suddenly crashed and now does not want to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paulo...

Our office has been in touch with Adobe this morning and NOW they are saying that it is a glitch with the update.  Sigh.

But, one colleague was having the same issues as you Paulo.  She had to uninstall and then reinstall InDesign every morning since the update.  It would work all day until she shut down but then wouldn't let her back in again.  She contacted Adobe through Chat and a tech went onto her computer and did a bunch of stuff to fix it.  It seems to be working now, so I would contact them.  The tech's name is Kartikey so if the tech you get is stumped, have them refer to this tech and what she/he did to lreinwald's computer.

You will lose your workspace however so hopefully you have saved it somewhere.

Good luck.

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are a college with Macs and experience the similar problems with latest InDesign 11.4.0.90.  Until Version 101.3.0.34 we had no problems.

InDesign quits unexpectedly when starting up! All the time! This only happens if working from a network user account. Working with a local user account works fine.

iMacs 2015 and 2016 with OSX 10.10.5 or OSX 10.11.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there GBS-Art College...

Sorry to hear you are having issues. Obviously Adobe has not yet fixed the problem.  My rep told me that their engineers are working on the problem but that was over a week ago...haven't heard anything yet, sooooo....  Highly recommend that you re-install the older version of InDesign.  Don't uninstall InDesign....just re-install previous version: InDesign (2015).  (see my note two posts up).

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can't add anything very constructive, just to say that our experience is similar to others.

• Running Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64-bit OS
  • Installed the latest update via the Creative Cloud app, and it opened fine the first time. It's Release 2015.4, Build 11.4.0.90.
  • All subsequent attempts to launch it fail with the generic "stopped working" message. Clicking the Debug button gets us "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in InDesign.exe [9576]."
  • Launching it using the control-alt-shift trick and deleting preferences works ... but then subsequent launches fail.

We will probably take the advice of re-installing the older version, but certainly hope Adobe comes up with a solution soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe guys,

Working on Adobe InDesign 2015 cc  software to deploy to other users in our environment,

I have created the application(Inclues 11.4.1.102 Update) using creative cloud packager, And when I install the application using the MSI with the below command line. And launch the shortcut I get the below error.

Msiexec /I “AdobeCreativeCloud-InDesign2015-TP01.msi"

"ADOBE InDesign CC 2015 has stopped working"

Problem signature:   Problem Event Name: APPCRASH   Application Name: InDesign.exe   Application Version: 11.0.0.72   Application Timestamp: 55673d21   Fault Module Name: PMRuntime.dll   Fault Module Version: 5.0.0.191   Fault Module Timestamp: 55673aa1   Exception Code: c0000005   Exception Offset: 00000000000077c5   OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4   Locale ID: 5129   Additional Information 1: 081b   Additional Information 2: 081b7be89bc843cb9883c16f2578a29f   Additional Information 3: c211   Additional Information 4: c2114a23c3cfa4a4a6835423c0cf3b49

we are using windows 7 service pack 1. and I have tried below steps to fix the issue with no success

1. Ran the application shortcut as an admin to check if the shortcut works as an admin

2. Deleted the %temp%\adobe\InDesign\Version 11.0 folder

3. Ran Process monitor against the EXE

4. Deleted the APPINIT registry and restarted the machine to check if that the issue

5. Repaired the Redistributables and restarted the machine

6. Killed the many users process in Taskmgr to check if the exe needs more memory to load.

7. Recreated the application using CCP just to have the main application not with update    resulting in same error

8. Tried to CTRL+ALT+Windows to check preference which didn’t come up

9.      Installed, Uninstalled, reinstalled and still failed to launch

Please can I have a response to this ASAP since there are around 13 users who are waiting to have this application deployed.

I have the DUMP for the EXE and can copy it to the location you want me to copy it, it’s over 57 MB after zipping the file.

Regards Yusuf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yusuf,

We have received an email from you over the issue. It looks a different issue from what is being discussed here.

I have replied to  your email seeking additional information, please check.

Regards

Abhinav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the base version (InDesign CC 2015) installed?

Are you trying to apply the package containing the update (11.4.1.102) to this base version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Adobe paying customer should apologize to a developer for not providing information in the format required. Adobe, and its developers, should understand that customers are NOT their on-payroll debuggers. I am responsible for a company running 5 papers on Adobe CC and we are having our productivity impacted by the same issue reported on this thread, using both Windows 10 and previous versions of Windows.  It is not the first time we experience similar problems with updates. My expectation is that when a company releases an update it has already been tested and debugged. That is, after all, why we pay for a license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you Hugo.  We are a busy office and can't afford these 2 to 6 hours of downtime every time there is a buggy update.

We seem to be working ok now since our fix this morning.  The problem has something to do with Preferences.  I'm told the engineers at Adobe are working on the problem but in the meantime, you may need to do the following:  (keep in mind that we are working in Windows 7 Professional, so this may not work for other platforms??)

Uninstall InDesign.

Reinstall InDesign.

When I did this, it opened fine the first time and kept all the previous preferences and workspace.  But when I closed it and tried to relaunch it, it would not....CRASH!!!  Ugh....

So then you have to do this:

Close InDesign if it isn't already.

Click on start and type %appdata% and Open Roaming

Go to Adobe >InDesign > Version 11.0

Move this folder (Version 11.0) to your desktop

Relaunch InDesign

When you relaunch InDesign, you will have lost your printer presets and your workspace which you will have to setup again and save.

So far I am working ok.  Haven't had any crashes...knock on wood.  If you are uncomfortable trying this on your own, you can contact adobe through chat and give them remote access to your computer to fix this for you.

Good luck everyone.  And thanks for all your input.

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. I tried your suggestion (in Windows 10 the folder is located in C:\Users\userName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign) but I still got the same result after letting inDesign rebuild the folder from scratch... a crash after opening a few pages. Probably in our case the issue has a different cause...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh bummer...sorry to hear that Hugo.  Definitely get in touch with Adobe.  Hopefully they can help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok....another day and we are still having problems.  Ugh.  Still crashing and don't know why.  This time however it seems to be crashing when we play with gradients...not always but a lot.  I crashed once last evening and my colleague has crashed twice in a half hour on two different files, while playing with gradients.  Sigh.......

Any other thoughts anyone?

Is there any way to re-install InDesign at the previous version BEFORE this latest update???

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Renee,

Please share the dump file for the crash  that you are facing with InDesign

You may use the below steps to generate the dump file:

1. When Id crashes, do not close the program and go to Task manage

2. Right click on the ‘Not Responding’ InDesign.exe and choose Create dump file option

You may share the file via Dropbox/Google Drive with us @ abkaushi@adobe.com

This would help us to investigate the issue.

Regards

Abhinav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abhinav...

I've been chatting with Adobe tech guys for three days and they have done all this.  We are back to wether the problem is with the server.

Here are all my case numbers:

Today: 0187940484

Yesterday: 0187935781

Friday: 0187929109

If you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear it.  The latest is ....two of us have updated and are experiencing crashes.  Two others of us have updated and have not......????  And the others who have not upgraded yet, haven't had ANY issues.  So....very confused.

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abhinav...

I've just sent you a link to my Dropbox to have a look at the InDesign Dump file you asked me to make.  I just crashed while applying a gradient to a grouped set of boxes filled with colour only....no links to the server.

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hellow. I have problem with INDD CS6 on OS X.

We using the server and we taking all data from this. When my mac going to sleep mood and i woke up him so still freeze me and i must to turning off indd. This is the file what he show me like report.

Pls if some one know whats happen help me.
Thanks for any answer

ERROR.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2016 Oct 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did exactly this and now my InDesign is working again. Really frustrated with Adobe's apparent beta testing on it's users. Wasting SO much of our staff time. It's always a risk every time we update to a newer version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2016 Jul 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, we pay for a license, cos there is no other option. Adobe seems to become more arrogant, and the quality of their software become worst from version to version. Maybe they should pay more attention to stability of the software, rather to implement doubtful features. But they don't. We all sorry, but that seem to be the truth. When a company become a de facto monopolist, it stops to care about the users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neenorm,

Issue I have been having is possibly with Libraries. Haven't had the pleasure of creating grads in InDesign. Hopefully won't need to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines