• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cut and paste the wrong data

Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with FM 10.  Eventually, when I copy something and then paste, it pastes something else. Usually whatever was in the clipboard previously. Pasting into any other program works fine, but FM will not paste the correct object, and become fixated on the previously pasted item.  When it happens, it happens whether I copy from within the doc, or from another program (Photoshop, Notepad, Word).

This happens with text or graphics.

I will work fine for hours, then it goes off the deep end and this happens.  In order to make it work properly again, I have to close FM and restart it.

Has anybody seen this before?  What is it and how do I stop it?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you haven't got some sort of clipboard manager program installed do you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.  Never heard of such an animal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen them before - they "remember" a whole series of prior CTL-X and CTL-C actions that can be browsed to select a previous one and paste it again. Anyway, is your clipboard behaving outside of Adobe apps? i.e. back in Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh - just thought of something else - do you have Skype installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No to Skype.

Everything outside of FM works fine.  I can copy, then paste to FM and it pastes something else.  Alt+Tab to Word and paste and it pastes what it should.

Its like FM has its own clipboard manager that does not always accept new input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder whether you have installed any other apps that have some keyboard shotcuts that conflict with the copy / paste commands in FrameMaker. I have seen some apps that do not use Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V for copy / paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None that I know of, but its something to watch for.

In any event, the items are copied to the clipboard since I can paste them to other apps, just not the one they need to go into (FM).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cut and paste using keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+C and Crtl+V).  Nothing fancy.

I will try using the menus the next time it happens and report the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I just noticed that you asked here about Skype. I *do* have it installed and use it frequently while working in FrameMaker. Is there some issue with that? I certainly hope not as Skype is my office phone...

Can you provide any details?

Thanks,
Laurie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Is there some issue with that? [Skype]

See: Framemaker10: can't cut and paste tables, rows, or columns

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't played with later versions enough to have much insight, but in FM7.1/Solaris, there seem to be at least 3 clipboards in play.

In particular, Frame seems to manage its own CB for certain dialogs, and even remembers what was last pasted between reboots.

Are you doing copy with keyboard shortcuts, mouse clicks, or menu pulls?

I could see keyboard and/or mouse ops being eaten by other apps running on the PC (not to mention keylogger malware).

If you can demonstrate the problem using menu pulls, you may have a reportable defect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this before on Windows 7 64-bit, but don't recall if it was

inside FrameMaker. See if your clipboard works outside FM. I sort of

remember using a reboot to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have Win 7 64-bit.

I does work fine outside of FM.

Restarting FM will fix it, its just a pain in the backside to have to keep rebooting the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pasting from the menu does not work when this problem occurs.

After rebooting FM, I don't have to re-copy the object.  I can just paste it from the clipboard and it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Pasting from the menu does not work when this problem occurs.

Say again? Does this mean you can't duplicate the problem using the menu, or the menu Copy/Paste functions are unavailable and/or do nothing.

Using whatever means, if you can get to a repeatably demonstrable failure, here's something else to try: do it slowly.

We have copy/paste scenarios in our configuration (terminal emulator green screens in particular) where the first copy simply cannot be done quickly, or you'll be pasting whatever was previously on the CB. I've learned to use right-click Menu Copy the first time. After that, keyboard copy seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paste through the menu returns the same erroneous results.  It pastes the wrong thing.

Speed is not a factor.  I can wait 5 min to copy and it still pastes the same item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

Which point version of FM10 are you using?

Do you have any FM plug-ins installed?

What happens in FM after you try multiple copy & paste operations in another app? Does FM still have clipboard content from before the mutliple external copy & paste operations or does it pick up any of those with a lag?

Have you tried the esc key shortcuts?

Cut

Esc e x, Control+x, Shift+Delete

Copy

Esc e c, Control+c

Paste text that you cut or copied

Esc e p, Control+v, Control+y

Quick-copy text

Click where you want to place the copied text. Then press Alt and drag through the text you want to copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its a laptop try and turn off the sticky keys as well

Harpreet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was so hoping to find some reason why this product is so prone to crashing that I would have given up Skype if that was the answer. But I don't run any Skype plug-ins and I don't have the problem described in that thread. I'm not on a laptop, I'm on a really beefy desktop with 20 gig of ram. I am starting to think there are just very few people using FM 11 on Windows 7 64 bit on a daily basis, otherwise there would have to be more people complaining.

-Laurie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update.  Still broken, but more info.

The problem seems to start when you stop copy/paste from an external source, and do a copy/paste from within FM (now at FM11). 

After this, it is stuck using its own clipboard, and ignores copies from any external source.  You can copy/paste anything you like, as long as it is from within FM.  It will never again paste anything from an external copy (Notepad, in this case) until you reboot the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not verified. I can easily alternate between multiple applications copying & pasting from all of them into and out of FM11 (Windows 64-bit Ultimate).

There's probably something else going on in your installation. Look at what applications and services are running in the background (schedulers, update applications. anti-virus, ec.) and try turning off all non-essential ones to see if you can get to a point that doesn't mess wih your clipboard. Then turn them on one by one until you can duplicate this scenario to identify the culprit.

[Yes, I know that that would be a real time-consuming PITA of a process, but I don't have any other suggestions... ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still suspicious that it's Skype - especially now that MS is converting all Messenger clients over to it. I bet it's installed as a plug-in in your browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely Skype free, unless it is installed and it does not show up anywhere when you go looking for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this issue in Framemaker 2015 as well. I have one workaround that seems to work, although the issue seems so random for me that I'm not sure it'll always work or work for others. But when this issue occurs try to paste as unicode text (Edit > Paste Special > Unicode Text > Click OK).  That fixed the issue for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines