• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Put AfterEffects Layers in Folders instead of PreComps

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love your stuff, Adobe. But when are you going to give AfterEffects the option to put layers inside of folders instead of pre-comps? It would help tremendously in keeping the timeline organized.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're asking to have the ability to expand pre-comps in the same timeline. Pre-composing is not just an organizational tool, it's a way to re-order the rendering of the pixels in the frame so you can do things you couldn't do before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I recognize expanding pre-comps would be impossible. I'm just asking to have some layers hidden away in a folder without having to scroll through 70 layers to find what I need on the timeline. Imagine if the Project Window didn't have folders. It'd be a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like "groups" in C4D? Very powerful organizational tool. I like Smoovies suggestion. I often end up precomposing just for grouping a bunch of related layers for the reasons cited by Smoovies. This adds unnecessary complexity to the Project panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taverino. I'm going to click the link above and request this feature. You should do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I request a new feature, I want to see how others solve this problem. My current system, which leaves a lot to be desired, is to create a text guide layer above the layers I want to group. I then "shy" the "grouped" layers. The text in the guide layer serves to document the underlying layers. Surely someone here has a better way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Zorro:

http://aescripts.com/zorro-the-layer-tagger/

I address this feature request here, by the way:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/12/top-feature-requests-for-after-effects-in-2012.html

I have hope that we will be able to do this somewhat soon. More requests that give details will help to raise the priority and focus the effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing as it's now 2016 and we still can't do this, I expect this will never happen (hope to be proven wrong though).

In the meantime, this is quite handy:

GM FoldLayers on Vimeo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Submit feature requests here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines