• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replacing images in Indesign by drag and drop

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am shocked and terrified that the latest version of InDesign CC is not allowing me to drag an image from a folder onto an image in my layout and have it automatically swap. Please tell me I am doing something wrong. This is a critical feature. Help!!!!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Actually I figured it out and it is possible. I've done it for years. I had a layer of artwork above the photo layer. If there is any artwork / boxes in front of the photo frame it will come in like it is dropping a new image instead of replacing. I simply turned off the top layer and it worked like it always has. Whew! This is a great feature for repurposing the same layout with different images. Alternatively, one can lock the layer rather than turning it off. 
***** Response modified by Modera

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that doesn't work in InDesign. To replace images in InDesign;

1. Select the frame containing the old image and File > Place will replace the old one with the new one, or
  2. Select the frame containing the old image and use the Relink icon in the links panel to link to a new image
    InDesign CCss_015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I figured it out and it is possible. I've done it for years. I had a layer of artwork above the photo layer. If there is any artwork / boxes in front of the photo frame it will come in like it is dropping a new image instead of replacing. I simply turned off the top layer and it worked like it always has. Whew! This is a great feature for repurposing the same layout with different images. Alternatively, one can lock the layer rather than turning it off. 
***** Response modified by Moderator "VS" *****

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure enough! I tried it before answering... and I swear it didn't work, but it does now.

Be sure to mark your answer as correct to close the thread. And thanks for showing me a new technique.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's really weird about all this is I have NEVER used this technique. I was strictly a File > Place kind of gal. But I recently started doing it. I knew I could drag onto the page. I never realized it would replace an image below.

Amazing what you can learn after so many years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did ever, but it depends if it replaces how the setting of the last place command war. If you select images replaces selected item (or similar) it would also replace any selected image where you drag it upon it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Willi, on my system (Mac OS X 10.11.6, InDesign CC 2015.4), it makes no difference what the setting was (Replace turned on Replace turned off) when the image was placed. Dragging another image from the Finder, I can always replace that image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old thread, but if anyone else comes here: you don't have to turn off layers above the layer where you want to drag and drop an image to replace an existing one. You just have to lock it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE: reading on a bit, I realized the OP was facing a different issue. Anyways....  🙂

Replying to this old thread in case it helps someone—

You can do what the OP is asking for using Adobe Bridge, instead of your operating system folder.

In other words, instead of opening a folder in your operating system and trying to drag and drop the image file into an image frame, open the folder via Adobe Bridge. From Bridge you can drag the image directly onto a frame in InDesign and it'll place the image there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines