Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inserting YouTube URL into interactive PDF in InDesign

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I need to insert a YouTube URL into an InDesign file which I am then exporting as an interactive PDF. Can anyone assist me in how to do this? I am using Indesign CC.

Many thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

You want a YouTube video to play inside a PDF? I'm not sure that's possible. You'd need to actually embed the video.

You might want to reconsider this anyway. http://boblevine.us/its-okay-to-say-no-to-interactive-pdf/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want a YouTube video to play inside a PDF? I'm not sure that's possible. You'd need to actually embed the video.

You might want to reconsider this anyway. http://boblevine.us/its-okay-to-say-no-to-interactive-pdf/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is ADOBE saying they make 'interactive' PDF and ebook?   File size is a HUGE consideration so if the video/sound files are embedded it is kind of a problem (file size balloons which they should know by now) and if you can't insert video or sound file from a https site (what? really?)  then they aren't really 'interactive' at all! 

They have been saying that for years - why haven't they fixed it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read my blog post that I linked to?

Adobe does not control the PDF specifications and they don't control the myriad PDF readers that out there...most of which are garbage.

You should completely reconsider this. If it needs to stream it needs web access anyway. Build it as a web page. It will be fully responsive and work on all devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure that is all  fine - the point is ADOBE are saying PDF and ebooks are 'interactive' and can play video and sound files - well ok but that is somewhat disingenuous.  Practically they can't do it so they shouldn't say it thats all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how you do define interactivity, but a button or text field already making a PDF interactive. Furthermore you're also able to embed media files (video and audio) into PDFs, so what are you complaining about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well sure you embed media but not from https  which is kind of the whole internet - if you embed directly the file size balloons - in downloadable PDF or ebook file size is a real concern - so yes it is possible but not practical

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

power point can!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines