• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move all comp objects w/o destroying keyframe positions?

Contributor ,
Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I built an animation that relies on a good number of position keyframes.  I want to take the entire animation and just move it up a bit on screen so it's centered better.  However, I'm not sure how to do this without manually adjusting each and every keyframe for the move.

I'd like to be able to nest the entire comp into one clip, and then change the position of that clip.  Is there a way to do this in AE?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

3 ideas come to mind:

1. add a null and parent all the layers to the null (if the layers have parents, then just parent the parents of course). you can delete the null afterwards and your keyframes will modify to the new offset.

2. pre-compose all the layers and then move it as just one layer.

3. if it's 3D scene, then you can just move the camera since it controls all of the layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 ideas come to mind:

1. add a null and parent all the layers to the null (if the layers have parents, then just parent the parents of course). you can delete the null afterwards and your keyframes will modify to the new offset.

2. pre-compose all the layers and then move it as just one layer.

3. if it's 3D scene, then you can just move the camera since it controls all of the layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Null was the jam.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help buddy. this workflow should have be written somewhere here: Adjust layer properties in After Effects under parent and layers, since it's a very important and useful implementation of parenting. even more that rigging a character in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and here's another way to do it, without using nulls:

• Reveal the position property on the layer to be tweaked
  • Put the timeline cursor on one of those keyframes
  • Highlight the position property on the far left; it highlights all the keyframes
  • Using the Up-Down-Right-left cursor keys, tweak the position to suit

All the position keyframes are modified by the same amount.  Very easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Dave. this got me going back and forth for a second, but I double checked and Op wrote in the header: "Move all comp objects" so he probably means move many layers with animation keyframes together. if you want to move one layer at a time, one value at a time then the offsetting technique like Dave suggested makes sense.

for instance if you got this type of setup:

or even this:

then yes, you can offset the layer or layers as long as these conditions apply:

1. one layer - one keyframe is under your CTI, all keyframes are selected

2. many layers - all the keyframes are parallel under your CTI - i.e, at the exact frame in time, all keyframes are selected

(I wouldn't risk doing this technique with many layers though. only with one layer)

but if you have this setup - use a null

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a newbie of after effects you have saved me hours of work. The Null tip is genius and you are an amazing person!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a mask moving over my title to reveal it. I need to move the title down from the middle to the bottom of the screen. I tried using the null method and yet my text doesn't show up after I move it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please start a new thread for this question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant, you just move the null object and everything follows, along with positions and movements.

Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines