• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nook: This book has been returned error

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a brand new Nook Glowlight Plus and after borrowing a first book from my public library without problems, using Adobe Digital Editions on a Windows PC, I kept getting this error on every other book I borrowed. After trying different things and looking for a solution online unsuccessfully, I managed to fix the problem by doing an "Erase and Deregister Device" (from Settings -> Device Info) and registering again (NB login + DRM Settings).

I see a lot of questions about this kind of problems and not many solutions so I thought I would share what worked for me hoping it helps someone else.

Cheers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, unfortunately the fix is only temporary in that while I can then open all the books I borrowed before the reset the problem still exists for any book borrowed after. It's not really practical to reset the nook every time I borrow a book so I'm still looking for a solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2015 Dec 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, after several frustrating rounds with B&N customer service I finally got someone to admit there is a bug in their system and sadly they have no idea when a fix might come. Here is the relevant excerpt from their latest message:

"A fix for the error messages you are getting is being planned for the next software release.

We regret to inform you that we have no specific time or date on when is the next software update for the NOOK GlowLight Plus going to be released."

For the time being I will have to go through a whole deregister/register cycle every time I want to put borrowed books onto my nook...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2015 Dec 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thanks so much for your post. This is exactly my problem! You have to follow this procedure every time you want to borrow a library book? If so I think I'll return the Nook and try a Kindle!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2016 Jan 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me as well last night and i had to reset the nook.  I am wondering though if it is adobe digital editions that's the problem because a couple of weeks ago the same thing happened to my Kobo.  But when i reset my kobo something wemt wrong in  the setup and the thing crased which is why i bought a nook.  Now the aame thing is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ADE 4.5 which I believe is the latest version. I still have my Nook Simple Touch which has issues but still works.  I loaded library books on to it from ADE just fine. I'm wondering if it's an incompatibility issue between Adobe and these new devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2016 Jan 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im wondering if i should try the nook glowlight and take back the plus.  You said you have the nook touch? I wonder if there is the same issue with the first glowlight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2016 Jan 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly my version of the Nook is no longer available. I will miss it. I don't really like anything about these new models. Good luck finding something you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it seems that for now you have to do that every time you want to add borrowed books to your nook. I had the same thought about returning it but the kindle doesn't support the epub standard which is a must-have for me - the kindle format isn't supported in Europe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What ADE vrrsion do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried with both the latest version of ADE - 4.5 - and the previous version 3.0. This didn't make any difference for me.

If the problem is within the DRM management of the nook it is irrelevant.

What I'd be interested in trying is to downgrade the OS of the nook - the DRM management was introduced in the latest version 4.5.1 - but I don't know if it can be found anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2016 Jan 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same issue with my Nook Glow Light Plus.  Each time a check-out a book online from my library, I have to reset my Nook.  This process is becoming troublesome and extremely annoying.  I'm not sure on which end the problem is coming from....BN or Adobe; I just wish that someone would correct it soon. This is my 5th Nook, but I am now sadly, thinking about getting an Amazon Kindle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2016 Jan 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an old amazon kindle keyboard and to be honest, I love it and would use it all of the time. But since i live in Canada, our libraries do not support the Kindle.  I wouldn't even have bought the nook if i could use the kindle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My new glowlight plus is doing the same thing.  I loaded and read only one library book, every subsequent book gives me the book has been returned error.  It's sooooo much fun listening to your kids cry about their useless Christmas present!   Thanks Barnes and Noble!   Solid product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2016 Jan 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Really disappointed!  I love the Glowlight Plus, lightweight, great battery life, but seriously?  One of the best things is I don't have to drive to the library to get a new book!  B&N - please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly enough, my nook got updated overnight with the software version 4.5.1.55 which was said to fix some minor bugs related to Adobe ID and DRM but whatever that was it didn't solve our problem.

I'm very disappointed to see that Barnes and Nobles didn't give this problem a higher priority.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine was updated last night as well and I shut my whole nook down after the update.  I just was able to load a library book without having to deregister / register.  Try shutting down.  Hope it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right! I just rebooted and it seems to work now. Let's hope this stays that way!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is awesome news.  I'm updating it now and will try it tonight when i get home from work.  Tomorrow is the deadline of my returning it and i was really going to.

Thank for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried again for the sake of it and it worked. So, the problem seems to be fixed in the latest version of the software: 45.1.24_user / 4.5.1.55

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it too and it worked!  I am so glad I didn't have to take it back because i really like this device.  Thanks for letting everyone know about the update. And thanks barnes and Noble for fixing it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we spoke too soon.  I'm getting the same error even after updating the software and trying it the same day i updated it.  I am soooooo freakin disappointed.  I was so excited when I thought they fixed it. Now I can't return it and get my money back if I wanted.  UGHHHHHH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I'm sorry to hear that. I've since then successfully borrowed several books from my public library without any problems.

Which version of ADE do you use? I'm still on ADE 3.0. I don't know whether it matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have to deregister my Nook every time I download a library book even with using ADE3.0.  Are you still able to download without problems?  I'm still getting the error Book has been returned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a real bummer. I know how frustrating this must be for you. I've been renting books from my public library repeatedly without any further problems.

Here is my set up:

Nook Glowlight Plus Model: BNRV510

Version 45.1.24_user / 4.5.1.55

ADE3.0 on Windows 7 Pro

Have you tried contacting BN Support? Of course this is likely going to be a frustrating experience in and of itself but after going through the usual period during which they send you canned responses you may actually get help. It's worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines