Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Video Seems to Have Changed & Become Restrictive

Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2016 Aug 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Adobe Captivate 9.0.1.320.

I know I have done this in the past, but there is a new notification when I try to import video (multi slide synchronized) into my project. My project is a standard (blank) project that will be published as HTML5. I wish to import MP4 video into the project.

2016-08-07 12-58-19 PM.png

Captivate wants to convert it to FLV first, which would be fine if the conversion to FLV and ultimately back to MP4 when published didn't totally destroy the quality, increase the size, and add black bars above and below the picture. Anyone know a way to continue to import this MP4 as an MP4? Is there a new preference setting I'm not aware of?

I saw another couple of posts about this issue but no resolution so I thought I would post a fresh inquiry.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Aug 08, 2016 Aug 08, 2016

Some tools can let you encode with an incompatible CODEC, where the file might be stored as MP4 but actually be encoded in a different format.

Your best bet may be to go back to the source and rebuild the MP4, or request an replacement of the corrupted copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pbdw1969,

That's a weird problem and one that I can't repeat. I ran a little test. It imported and published fine. This leads me to believe that although the video you are importing is labelled an MP4, it probably isn't or its corrupted. That's why Captivate is going to it's old fallback FLV.  I would try to import another MP4 to test if that is the issue or  if you have Adobe Media Encoder just encode it to an MP4..

My thoughts anyways...

Cheers

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting. I tried importing another MP4 file and it worked fine. I tested the actual Mp4 file that I need to import and it plays in various media players.  I'm going to do some more research. Thanks Steve, you might have got me on the right path. I'll let you know what I discover.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good. I had another thought.  You might want to play the video all the way through and see if it dies/sputters before the end. If so the Header in the MP4 wrapper might be corrupted and that would cause Captivate to be unable to read or identify its type.

Cheers

Steve 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 08, 2016 Aug 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some tools can let you encode with an incompatible CODEC, where the file might be stored as MP4 but actually be encoded in a different format.

Your best bet may be to go back to the source and rebuild the MP4, or request an replacement of the corrupted copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources