• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory leak found in flash player active-x 'CallFunction' method.

Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I think I found a memory leak that results from  calling the flash player active-X object's method 'CallFunction'. Each time this  method is called it seems that memory is not properly freed.

I'm attaching here a  simple program I've made with C# that uses the shockwave flash object to load a  SWF and continuously perform calls to it using the 'CallFunction'. It also  displays the process memory so you can see how it's being increased after some  time running.

In the zip file, under the bin/release directory, you'll find the  compiled executable and both the test SWF (CallFunctionTest.swf) and its source (AS3 file) which is  just a dummy Sprite that exposes a callable method using the ExternalInterface.  The SWF has been compiled using Flex compiler (Version 3.3.0 build 4852).

The  leak may become more visible after some hours running. Also, it's interesting to  note that even by reloading the SWF without closing the application (by stopping  and restarting the stress in my test application) the memory is not freed.

As a reference, in my  computer (Intel Dual core E2180 @ 2Ghz) the test application's virtual memory  (VM64) increased from 192MB to 480MB in 4 hours. In Windows XP 32-bit when this value reaches 2GB the process runs out of memory and the application crashes.

Does anyone experienced the same problem?

I have Flash Player version 10,0,32,18 installed.

Thanks,

Joan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I found this problem recently.

I embedded Flash in my Visual C++ project through ActiveX, and intensively call

ShockwaveFlashObjects::IShockwaveFlash::CallFunction().

It seems that every time I invoke this function, the memory usage of my program increase about 8kB, and never goes back again. I think this is caused by the internal memory leak in Flash.

Does adobe have any plan to fix this issue?

Alvin. C. Chung

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alvin4life wrote:

Does adobe have any plan to fix this issue?

Have you reported it to Adobe (https://bugs.adobe.com/flashplayer/) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I reported it after posting to the forum:

https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-3149

It seems that it could be fixed (or at least the leak reduced) in the 10.1. I tested some of the 10.1 betas some time ago and didn't have the problem. Now I'm waiting to fully test the final 10.1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2016 Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still see this issue with flash player 22. anyone has idea bout this?

i have reported this here.

Flex form blackout issue

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines