6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2008 10:16 AM by Joe_Russell RSS

Shockwave 11 Active X Crash

Joe_Russell
      Just loaded the new Shockwave 11. Authorware crashes when I try to insert a new Activex control into the flowline that references the new Shockwave Activex. Anybody know why or how I can avoid this issue?

Thanks in advance,
      Joe Russell
        • 1. Re: Shockwave 11 Active X Crash
          Newsgroup_User Community Member
          Maybe they didn't bother to make sure it would be compatible with Authorware
          7, since Authorware is no longer in development.

"Joe Russell" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fsqnok$s12$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Just loaded the new Shockwave 11. Authorware crashes when I try to insert
          > a
          > new Activex control into the flowline that references the new Shockwave
          > Activex. Anybody know why or how I can avoid this issue?
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          > Joe Russell
          >

• 2. Re: Shockwave 11 Active X Crash
            _forumSteve
            Joe,

Have you made any progress with this issue?

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. After uninstalling Shockwave 11, I was able to insert a Shockwave ActiveX Control. However, after upgrading again the "CallSprite" method stops working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
            • 3. Re: Shockwave 11 Active X Crash
              Joe_Russell Community Member
              _PlayerOne_,
              No, I haven't made any progress on this. I can confirm that it happens also in Director 11 and Director MX 2004. Director 11 is a currently supported product and yet it experiences the same error. I have also posted this to the director forums but no response there. I have also explored calling it from Swing in Java, same effect. Calling it in a Power Point presentation with Visual Basic also causes it to crash.

I got the "compatibility player" portion to load but it didn't have any effect on this issue.

No solution has presented itself. Currently, I am advising our company and our customers to revert to the 10.3.0.24 version and to avoid installing the 11.0.0.429 version until it gets fixed. Unfortunately, this means Vista performance is poor but luckily our customers haven't moved entirely to Vista.
              • 4. Shockwave 11 Active X Crash
                _forumSteve Community Member
                It sounds like you've been pretty thorough, so this may be old news. But I figure I'll throw it out here for anyone that's interested.

Best I can tell, the file that is actually responsible for the problem is "swdir.dll".

There is an entry in the registry under "HKEY_USERS" that directs the runtime to use "system32\Adobe\Director\swdir.dll". Search the registry for "InProcServer32" to find it.

Modifying the entry ("Adobe" to "Macromed") will solve the problem in runtime by directing Shockwave to use the old file. It doesn't help authortime in Authorware that much. It generates an error dialog instead of crashing.
                • 5. Re: Shockwave 11 Active X Crash
                  _forumSteve Community Member
                  Well, I just used BuddyAPI to modify the registry before and after loading the ActiveX control. As long as Shockwave 11 is not installed when the ActiveX control is initially set up, it works...

Ultimately, it may not be useful b/c of permissions, but at least its working.
                  • 6. Re: Shockwave 11 Active X Crash
                    Joe_Russell Community Member
                    It looks like the new Shockwave player version 11.0.0.458 fixes this issue. It does introduce a new issue where the right click functionality of Director has changed but the crashing issue has been addressed.