• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Webhelp slow to download when viewed over the internet

Jun 25, 2008 Jun 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am currently working for a client who requires their online help (webhelp) to be viewed over the company's intranet, which varies in speed depending on which office you are in. However, we are encountering problems viewing the help, with it taking up to 3 minutes to upload the project (although once in the project, they can navigate around reasonably well).

The project is big (550+ topics). Is there some means of optimising the download speeds? I have the publish settings defined as "over the internet", but can't see anything else. I have webhelp Pro - but I am not sure what difference that makes.

Any suggestions would be GRATEFULLY recieved!

Thanks,
Marian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marian.

First off, take a look at this link for the differences between WebHelp and WebHelp Pro. If you have the output on the client's intranet all you need to do is generate Webhelp output. Does the same delay occur when you open the help when it is located on a hard drive? If not, then the issue is with the intranet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry just to add, I noticed you say you have the ouptut optimised for "internet". Is that a typo? Set the output for a "local PC or intranet".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

Thanks for the quick response and the link.

Firstly, the webhelp is hosted on the company's intranet - which is hosting on their servers, which may or may not have IIS, but DON'T have Roboengine - so in conclusion I think I have the right format.

Secondly, I have Internet selected in the settings (not local pc or intranet) as I considered this would be the most forgiving for the company's cranky infrastructure and would make more allowance for slower download speeds - is this a correct assumption?

Thirdly, when I view the files from my hard drive it is fast to upload...which points to their infrastructure I guess.

Finally, are there any other suggestions for optimising the download speeds to help them out?

Thanks again,
Marian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Webhelp Pro output is ONLY required if you have RoboEngine (now called RoboHelp Server) installed. The output type allows you to publish to a server and generate reports on the help's usage. From what you say, webhelp is the way to go so you can leave RH Server out of the equation.

As far as the settings are concerned, try the "local pc or intranet" option as this is specifically designed for intranets.

BTW phrases like "the company's cranky infrastructure" doesn't instill confidence that anything you try will work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp