• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing Invalid Broken Links

Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2008 Jun 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please advise on how we can remove invalid broken links? There are times when we publish a project, RoboHelp will shut down. Once we restart the program it has added links where they don't belong, thus causing the Broken links. How can we remove these?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manually and painfully, of course.

Actually, I'd be more concerned with the cause than the effect. I don't think I've ever heard of RoboHelp shutting down when a publishing process is underway. The publishing might be interrupted or cancelled occasionally due to excessive network traffic, but no RH shutdown.

Is RH or the project on a network? It should not be...

Come back with version info on your OS, RH, etc.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither RH or the project is located on a network drive. We are currently running RH server 4.0 and RH client 7 using Windows XP. We recently upgraded the memory to double what is required. Sometimes when RH shuts down it will still finish the import as well. Than other times it will add the invalid broken links. We're trying to find a way to remove the broken links, as well as any other advise you can offer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2008 Jun 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH7 will only work with RH Server 7.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is not using Server RH 4 with Client RH 7. What I'm trying to obtain is how to remove these invalid broken links. Can someone please tell me how to remove these invalid broken links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you prefer working against all odds (unsupported versions), that is your choice.

If you prefer to fight a problem instead of solving the root cause, that is your choice.

If you want to know how to remove invalid broken links, it should be the same method as removing valid links: select each one, right click, and select Remove Hyperlink.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to disagree with you sencinas but because of the Unicode features in RH7 client, ONLY the RH7 Server can be used with Webhelp Pro or FlashHelp Pro output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused, when we were running RH 7 Server as well as RH 7 on the client side we encountered more issues. We went to the Adobe site where it was recommened to run RH 4.0 on the server side and continue to run RH 7 on the client side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But RH4 Server is so old that it is positively prehistoric. Do you still have the link to which you say it says its OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not trying to work against the odds at all, I'm just trying to trouble shoot one issue at a time. We have a test server that is the set up the exact same way as our production server and that one works just fine with this current set up. Unfortunately I do not have the link that stated this as I was not the one on the project with my company at the time. Would someone be able to contact me live so we can discuss in more detail?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I asked about the link is that there is some confusion out there in RHland about RH versions. RH7 was a much older version (released in about 1998) but which also has the same name as the current version . Maybe that link was referring to that older version as that version of RH Server would have been available around the same time.

As far as us users are concerned, and emails I have from Adobe back this up, you can not - I repeat can not - publish RH7 client content on anything other than RH7 Server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sencinas

What we need you to confirm is whether or not you are using the original version 7 or the current one. As Colum is pointing out, the current one will not work with old versions and could well be the cause of your problems. They occur when you publish, the old RH7 will not work with RH Engine 4 which is what you would be using when you publish.

The current version can be distinguished by the fact that it has a multiple document interface, more than one topic open at a time. Also as it opens you will see a green screen that say Adobe RH 7, I emphasise the Adobe bit.

Another way of tackling this problem is not to publish but just generate to the local drive. Does that have the same problems.

We are trying to help you but if you are using incompatible versions, then we would all be wasting time. Hence trying to clarify that first.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sencinas

I have just picked up on the other post about using 4. Did you post about those problems and didn't Harvey respond on that point?

Like Colum, I would certainly like to see that page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2008 Jun 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some of the issues we have experienced when running Server 7 with Client 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2008 Jun 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sencinas

Hopefully you realize that the code you posted would only be helpful to an application developer familiar with the innards of all the RoboHelp code. Even then, I'd be doubtful that it might make much (if any) sense to them. Maybe so, but I'd be doubtful. I'm pretty certain it has no meaning to anyone here trying to help you out.

Also, just from perusing the post here, I'm going to crawl out on a limb and suggest that there is more than a little confusion surrounding the RoboHelp Server (RoboEngine) versions. I base this off Colum's reply about it being nearly prehistoric. I suspect Colum is maybe thinking of RoboHelp version 4. That version had nothing comparable to the RoboEngine. I'm betting you are referring to what shipped with X4 (Logically version 12).

Happy bug hunting all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2008 Jul 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it amazing that the orignal question was not answered. "How to remove broken links", I have version 6 and I cant remove broken links, I can only right click and restore, which does not work as the oringal file does not exist. I am not going to restore and file I don't want back to a location I don't want to compile a help file which is wrong just because there is no simple way to remove a broken link.

Also the statement of " I don't think I've ever heard of RoboHelp shutting down" amazes me. I have had my version "shutdown/crash" numerous times since using it, during generation stage and quite frankly I am extremely dissapointed in the software and considering sending it back.

Any chance of answering the original thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon is quite entitled to say "I don't think I've ever heard of RoboHelp shutting down when a publishing process is underway" if that is his experience and I have to say that is my experience too, hang yes, close down no. Generation is an earlier stage and then it might close down.

The original post was about fixing broken links AND RoboHelp adding links, something else I have not experienced myself or seen before on this forum. That could be because of the RoboServer / RoboEngine issues, I don't know. If your issue is just broken links, first look at the code in the topics and second consider renaming the CPD and then reopening the project. See my site first and look at Opening Projects to see what might be lost and how to easily restore it.

Is this the sole reason for your disappointment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also encountered this problem. The only solution I have found is to go to the topic that is appearing in the broken link section and investigate why the link is showing up as broken. Sometimes I have found that it the topic is pointing to an index entry that no longer exists (indicated by a key icon), especially with bookmarks. When I redid the bookmark, the broken link entry often times disappeared.

Debbie Sarig

www.lingotip.com - Translating the World!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 07, 2008 Jul 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You might have missed it, but my 6/26 reply stated "If you want to know how to remove invalid broken links, it should be the same method as removing valid links: select each one, right click, and select Remove Hyperlink."

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp