• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert .indd to pdf?

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2016 Aug 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently switched from pc to mac and in the process no longer can use indesign because I've downgraded to fewer adobe programs. I still have some .indd files left over though and was wondering if I could convert them to pdf? I heard you can do that through the adobe cloud but I only have the option to download them as .indd, .jpg, .png, or swatch. I don't have cloud membership because I bought the physical copy of the software (an old version).

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Aug 30, 2016 Aug 30, 2016

Note that I would absolutely not recommend the “cloud solution” available from within Acrobat in which InDesign documents are converted to PDF without InDesign being resident on your host computer.

Why?

(1)     The “cloud solution” does not have access to the fonts used in your InDesign document unless they are in the Adobe Type Library or are fonts installed by Windows.

(2)     The “cloud solution” does not have access to any graphic assets placed inside your InDesign document such as raster image

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Export > Adobe PDF (print)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I can't do this option because I no longer own Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What, exactly, do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2016 Sep 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late response! I have Adobe production premium cs4. Unfortunately it doesn't come with Acrobat Pro. I also own the student edition of cs5.5 for mac but recently switched to pc and no longer can use it. I has some old files from school that used a few of the programs that don't overlap between production premium cs4 and cs5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2016 Sep 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your options at this point are pretty limited, and outlined in the previous responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then there’s nothing you can do. You could download the trial and convert the INDD files that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you own Adobe Acrobat Pro? You can use File > Open to convert a file to a PDF on the fly—some of these conversions (like Powerpoint) need the application installed. I don't think you need InDesign installed, but I can't test it because I have it installed. I did test opening the .indd file in Acrobat Pro (see below) and it converted it.

Acrobat Pross_001.png

Acrobat Pross_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to remember trying that for some reason back in the day. Didn’t work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's part of my Acrobat class materials—so something I've always taught—but before I scare you, it's just a stop on the road to discussing how to get a basic PDF vs. how to get optimal PDFs out of the various Microsoft and Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's going to take way more than that to scare me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Challenge accepted! LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most Acrobat conversion options to PDF, except image formats and HTML, need the native app installed. For INDD it would use InDesign.

You can subscribe to InDesign for $30 for a month, convert all, then cancel. (Not $20 which is for a year commitment)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that I would absolutely not recommend the “cloud solution” available from within Acrobat in which InDesign documents are converted to PDF without InDesign being resident on your host computer.

Why?

(1)     The “cloud solution” does not have access to the fonts used in your InDesign document unless they are in the Adobe Type Library or are fonts installed by Windows.

(2)     The “cloud solution” does not have access to any graphic assets placed inside your InDesign document such as raster images, PDF, etc. unless they were embedded in the InDesign document. Otherwise, all that the conversion converts are the low resolution placeholders.

(3)     You don't have a choice of joboptions to use in the conversion.

I would personally treat this as a non-option. To properly create PDF of your InDesign documents, you must have InDesign installed and export PDF from within InDesign with your document open.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2016 Aug 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dov (as usual!)

That's something not publicized by the Acrobat team. At best, that method would only allow you to read an InDesign document when you didn't have a copy of the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Adobe programs do you have,  and what version?

Advantages of being on the Creative Cloud include that you can be Mac or Windows and that it includes all programs, which is why I am asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi animatoring,

The solution suggested by BarbBinder works absolutely fine and I double checked it. If you have any limitation doing that, you can also check the last one which is to get the ID for a month and finish your pending work.

As a last option, you can upload your files (if that's okay) using any of the technologies like Dropbox and share a download link here, so that we can convert your files into PDF for you.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agian, you woke up an old thread, just to post your answer to an already fully answered question. Locking this now.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines