• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Kobo Touch not opening a book transferred from Adobe Digital Editions 2.0

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The book transferred fine from my public library to ADE on the computer and can be read there It appeared to transfer to my  Kobo Touch ok, but won't open there. Message on  the e reader is saying "This document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management and is not currently authorized for use with you Adobe ID. Please sign in again with your authorized Adobe ID again and try again". Adobe on my computer signs me in automatically and I don't know what else to do in that respect. I tried signing out of Kobo and setting it up again, but that didn't work either. Other library books have transferred to the e reader fine, so don't know why this one is different.  Many thanks.

TOPICS
Kobo editions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you had it working with library books to your Kobo using ADE 2.0? 

There are issues with ADE2.0 in combination with Overdrive library books and certain eReaders.

Easiest solution is to uninstall and install v1.7.2.

Version 1.7.2 is the answer to many problems with ADE 2.0.

ADE2.0 regularly seems to have problems with Sony and Nook devices (and some others?), and with some Windows versions too.

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks sjpt. I have only downloaded a couple of library books previously, but ADE2.0 did work ok with them. I'm thinking maybe I'll talk to the library before I go so far as to replace with v1.7.2? Hoping this is a one-off problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a couple of library books that downloaded to my Bookeen Opus, but that the Opus couldn't then read.

One would not open, one opened but empty, and once crashed the Opus (small chaep and handy, but not the most reliable device).

All were readable on ADE on the PC.

I put all that down to some bug in the Opus software, not ADE.

In fact, my Opus did usually work with ADE2.0 and Overdrive library books;

it was the combination of my wife's Sony PRS-350, ADE2.0 and Overdrive that forced us to revert to 1.7.2.

It might be worth deleting the book from your Kobo and copying it from PC to Kobo using file manager.

It may just have been that the transfer got corrupted somehow.

As long as the Kobo is authorised with the correct AdobeID, and ADE has done the .acsm->.epub DRM conversion,

the Kobo should be able to read books that have been copied in this way (I've recently seen it referred to as 'sidecopied').

That was the solution I used with the Sony until I realized that using 1.7.2 allowed copy from ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2013 Jan 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks again, I'll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2013 Jan 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with my Kobo Glo. I had it with 1.7.2 and 2.0 of ADE. Do you have any other suggestions.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 18, 2013 Jan 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes the authorization on a device gets into an odd state.

Try deauthorizing the Glo (ctrl-alt-E when in Digital Editions with the Glo plugged in), and then reauthorizing it.

If that does not work, a more extreme version is to use Windows Explorer or similar to delete a (hidden) directory on the Glo,

with a name something like '.adobe-digital-editions'.  Then, once again, reauthorize using ADE.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2013 Jan 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing happened when I did Ctrl-Alt-E on my laptop. No option that I can see in Adobe Editions to deauthorize.

I did deauthorize on the kobo itself and resynced with KOBO (two days ago).

I do not want to start deleting hidden files.

Any other suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 20, 2013 Jan 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only other thing I can think of is a factory reset of the Glo.

Check the instructions to see how to do that;

http://kobo.intelliresponse.com/index.jsp?requestType=NormalRequest&source=4&id=3812&question=

I haven't got a Kobo so can't verify details, but just in case check you been through all the steps mentioned in

http://help.overdrive.com/article/0363/How-to-transfer-titles-to-a-Kobo-eReader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you manage to get this working as I have the same problem with my kobo glo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm holding these possilbe fixes in abeyance at present as I don't to mess things up and I am also waiting to hear from the library I borrowed from to see if they have encountered this problem before. I'll let you know if I get anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got mine working this morning. On my Kobo Glo under Settings/Account/Signed in As: (my email address), I signed out. This forced me to setup my Kobo again. When the setup was finished the book transferred and I was able to open it up. I had previously deauthorized and authorized both ADE and KOBO but I do not think that made a difference.

If you have not already tried that it might be worth your while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks. Unfortunately I did try this and it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks to all. The library got on to Overdrive who, like sjpt, recommended a factory reset. I have done this and the book has now transferred OK. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2014 Feb 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

De/reauthorising didn't help nor did factory reset. What did work was to move the files from the Adobe Digital Editions folder to the root folder of the Kobo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Windows Explorer to I think copy (rather than move) the files in the "Adobe Digital Editions" folder up to the root, the highest level. I can't check this just now becuase it is my wife's Kobo that has the problem. The file names will be of the format "name of book".epub and there is also a file "manifest.xml". I coped them all to root and Kobo "found" them. This is highly unsatisfactory but sometimes  this is what we have to deal with. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a similar problem with my Kobo Touch; not with a library ebook but one i bought. I added it to my ADE 3.0 library on the computer and it worked OK, but then on my Kobo it says i am not authorised to read it. The Adobe ID is the same on both devices and gives me no problem with other ebooks. Previous versions of ADE (2.0.1, 1.7.2) just can't recognise the ebook protection, de and reauthorising didn't change anything, nor did factory reset, and i am not sure how to copy the book in the root folder (if it means the main Kobo folder, i tried it and didn't work). Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same error code come up with every book I transfer over to my Kobo e-reader.  The book is a solid black color in the e-reader and when you try to open it, it pops up this error code.  Could someone help us out here please.!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nearly 2 years and a couple of versions later, this same problem is still coming up. 

I have no interest in buying books - I have too many physical ones already, and that's what the library and book exchanges are for.  I've been using the OverDrive app on my many-years-old-gifted-to-me Android phone and although it's slow for browsing the library site, in practice, using this app has been effortless.  My sister gave me a Kobo Touch 2.0 (which was a "replacement" gift for the fitness thingybob that didn't work with my not-up-to-date phone), and I'm trying to make use of her gift and this is really annoying.

Here's how I want it to work:

I check out a book in OverDrive, download it onto my computer (since the Kobo doesn't support such an app) and then it shows up on my Kobo.

But of course that's not how it works.  So I followed all the instructions on the Kobo site.  Downloaded ADE 4.5 ('cuz that's what's current)  Got the above error.  Tried getting help from the Kobo people, they were a bit slow, so I looked up a fix on my own (de-authorizing everything, de-installing everything, deleting downloaded books, factory reset, re-installing everything, re-authorizing everything, re-downloading everything.)  Did ALL of that and it still didn't work, so I followed some other advice that said to wait a few hours.  THEN if finally worked and I was able to read a book or two.  (Then discovered the Touch 2.0 has no backlighting option, so I have to turn a light on to read in bed, which is stupid, but whatever.)

So then a few weeks later, I go to download another book, and I even wait 24 hours before trying to read it.  Same bloody error.  What the heck???? People, I am not interested in doing a whole bunch of de-installing/re-installing crap EVERY time I want to read a library book.

FIX THIS ALREADY!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2016 May 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same experience as everything listed above and I've found a solution. Although it's definitely a work around and not really a fix, it seems to work every time.

I download the book I want, and when I properly disconnect the the kobo of course I get the dreaded "this document is protected...blah blah blah".

All I do is download another book. Doesn't matter if you actually want to read it, somehow after downloading a second book, the kobo can magically read the original book I downloaded. It only shows the error for the last book I downloaded. So if I download a second book right away, I can read the book I want. Sounds weird, but it works for me every time. I sure hope this all gets fixed in future versions and I can go back to just downloading one book at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly, if I deliberately follow the steps of trying first book and then downloading a random 2nd one, the first one starts working.  (and sometimes the 2nd as well)

Thanks for the tip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this. I tried almost everything else suggested here and this is the only solution that actually got around the problem for me! I wish I'd read this first then I wouldn't have wasted a frustrating hour and a half.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just started going through similar crap. I have successfully used Adobe digital editions 2.0 with on my desktop and a KOBOtouch e-reader for a few years. I even ran digital editions 4.0 on my laptop with the KOBO no problems.  After not using my KOBO for a couple of months I wanted to start using it again downloading from a public library with digital editions 2.0. It worked on the desktop but could not transfer and start reading on the the  KOBO due to DRM problems. I noticed an update for KOBO so I performed that ok.

Still didnt work DRM problems. I then decided to go to v4.5 of digital editions. After many iterations of authorizing and de-authorizing the desktop  finally reading on Digital editions works fine on the desktop, but the authorization for the KOBO is not possible because the authorization menu does nothing. Anybody have any advise ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines