Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS 2015.5 - Refine Edge tool? Missing?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

With the new update of Photoshop it appears that the Refine Edge tool has been removed or changed into something else?
Anyone shed some light on this? Its a tool that I would always use to quickly adjust my selections when editing photography.

Closest tool I can see that looks the same and is in the same location as the Refine Edge tool is Select and Mask. This is under the right click of the selection.

Cheers,

Adam.

EG Design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Yes it has been retired , just when I learned how to use it Seriously I'm not up to speed with the new release yet, but Jesus Ramirez has posted a set of videos on the new features

How To Use The Select And Mask Workspace In Photoshop - YouTube

or to see many of the important ones

Photoshop CC 2015.5 Tutorials - YouTube

I think there are also links in Jeff Tranberry's post above to a number of videos by Jule Anne Kost who is always worth watching.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 206 Replies 206
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running Windows or Macintosh? I'm updating at the moment, but will check this at my end when they have completed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it has been retired , just when I learned how to use it Seriously I'm not up to speed with the new release yet, but Jesus Ramirez has posted a set of videos on the new features

How To Use The Select And Mask Workspace In Photoshop - YouTube

or to see many of the important ones

Photoshop CC 2015.5 Tutorials - YouTube

I think there are also links in Jeff Tranberry's post above to a number of videos by Jule Anne Kost who is always worth watching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select and Mask it is! Good one, Terri. Hadn't fully read up on the new release either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing my video, Terri!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2016 Jul 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri Stevens wrote:

That's a useful video Terri, so thanks for sharing.  I have not checked JT's blog yet, but he is usually worth checking out every time there is a CC update.  I can't say that I am fully up to speed with S&M yet, but getting there.  When it works, it does so quickly and efficiently, but I have had it fail on selections I am sure I'd have had no problems with the old algorithm.   I remember it took me a while to become really comfortable with Refine Edge though — far too many tutorials use optimal images to demonstrate, which is a cop-out.  Which is why the Martin Evening tutorial with its real world example image is so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2016 Jul 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't tell too many people that you're not up to speed with S&M yet Trevor, they may get the wrong idea But what's a bit of sadism and masochism between friends.

Your right though the new tool does take some getting used to as people here are finding out. I think Adobe have taken a bit of a chance tying S&M to the GPU to gain performance as we all know the drivers particularly on the Mac have caused problems in earlier versions of Photoshop and now expecting them to work with this new feature is possibly a big ask. Fully agree about those tutorials with carefully selected backgrounds, the trouble is with complex backgrounds the cleanup process is quite long and often doesn't allow the tutorial to fit in the time span YouTube allows. In the area I work in,advertising, the photographers largely use blue and green screen in the studio and then all we need to do is use something like Primatte which strips away the background incredibly easily , particularly when the photographer has lit the scene properly , which mostly they do. However its nice to know you can drop out a background from a subject out of doors. I don't think I've met someone new to Photoshop yet who's first goal has not been to remove a background seamlessly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He talks and moves to fast to follow what heis doing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You.. Now I have to learn again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies guys.

I can see the reason for new tool, but sometimes you want that precision with the pen tool selection and then being able to adjust the feature, edge and contrast of that selection.
That video has made a valid point and shown the ability with that tool, while being able to be quick with the selection and achieving the effect needed for the job. But I just can't stand it when a tool gets removed that I used so much for my job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still use the new Select and Mask feature on a selection created with the Pen tool..

1.jpg

2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benjamin can you explain how to use it with the pen tool? Once I created the path what should I do? I am working on silver pieces over white background! thanks

Matteo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what i am after too. I can see its the same as refine edge and better, but given the choice of tools, it is too limited and it shouldn't be.

Why give the option for the lasso, but not each of them. Even using a graphic tablet you can struggle to make a clean selection over a large detailed area.

Having key points to work from during your selection will make it so much easier. AKA the pen tool.

The pen tool should be an option and to make a selection from that, the same way I was working before.

I don't want to have to make a mask from the pen tool selection and then adjust that again by using the select and mask tool. It should all be contained within that one tool.

Adobe need to update this already, in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should help:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i know that the tools are there but the refine edge works differently and that's my problem. I had a stubbon problem with hair and i couldn't get it done properly with  the new layer and mask tool, it would always take too much away, while refine edge in cc2014 could do the job in 1 stroke... is there a way to add legacy support for the old refine brush?

problem ist probably is. the old tool analysed the whole area i painted with the brush. the new one directly tries to mask while i paint...

Previously the result changed in how many i painted, now it doesn't matter... can you hold a key to make it wait for the whole painting like before?

english is not my native tongue, so i have it's understandable what i mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SMeurer wrote:

i know that the tools are there but the refine edge works differently and that's my problem. I had a stubbon problem with hair and i couldn't get it done properly with the new layer and mask tool, it would always take too much away, while refine edge in cc2014 could do the job in 1 stroke... is there a way to add legacy support for the old refine brush?

problem ist probably is. the old tool analysed the whole area i painted with the brush. the new one directly tries to mask while i paint...

Previously the result changed in how many i painted, now it doesn't matter... can you hold a key to make it wait for the whole painting like before?

english is not my native tongue, so i have it's understandable what i mean.

Would you be able to post a test image for us?

EG-Design: Yes, that would be pretty handy. remember, though, a path and selection are two different beasts, and not always interchangable. However, It's worth posting a feature request over at feedback.photoshop.com..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2016 Aug 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! I HATE the new tool. I want REFINE EDGE BACK!!!!!

Maybe the new on is supposed to be the same or better, but it doesn't function the same or better. The refine edge tool was much simpler to use. I barely ever had to adjust the settings and the edge detection was much more accurate. For example I could do a simple quick selection on a person in a photo, make it a mask and then go into refine edge and very quickly and efficiently adjust the edges. I LOVED how it would help me mask HAIR. It could detect even the slightest change in the photo to help me mask hair and edges of people's skin and clothing. Now when I go to adjust it is picking up everything in the background and adding it to my mask. Why change a great thing? I am also working on a project with a tight deadline and now I have to try to learn how to use this new tool. Don't even try to tell me it is the same. It absolutely is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't get along with Select and Mask you can always install PS CC2015.1.2 which has Refine Edge. There is no need to remove the current version as you can have more than one Photoshop build on your computer at any one time

Download and install Creative Cloud apps

Go down to the section 'install previous versions of apps'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I don't show an update available to get to version 15.5.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am with you there, Katie! I find myself under a tight deadline and, lo and behold, my core software has been "improved" for me. Instead of meeting a deadline, I end up frantically searching for a quick fix or training! There has GOT to be a better way to roll out feature changes. We graphic professionals rely on Adobe software and can't afford to stop in the middle of what we're doing.

Some sort of soft roll-out where the old tool still exists for one version would be more than welcome. This sort of approach to surprise updates creates problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soft roll-outs sound like a GREAT idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry what I meant was I can't revert to 2015.1.2. It does not show up in my list of previous versions on the Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Katie,

Sorry must admit I didn't check the list. Just install CC2015 and then apply the updates in the normal way to get CC2015.1.2. The latest version is in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 and CC2015 will install to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 so it won't be overwritten.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri, I don't have any previous versions of Photoshop available for download via my Creative Cloud application on my Mac.Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 3.13.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Katie,

I'm viewing the forum on my phone on my way home so am not by a computer. You can get the download here and by pass the desktop app

Adobe CC 2015 Direct Download Links: Creative Cloud 2015 Release | ProDesignTools

Make sure you read the important information about clicking on the link. It sets a cookie which gives you access to the Adobe server otherwise it will not work. Then you can apply the updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines