Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What kind of CPU for Lightroom/Photoshop

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I wanna update my PC System - so i search for a good System to work with LR/PS/Premiere

At the moment i wanna change to a i7-6700k (4x4Ghz) or a E5-1650v4 (6x3,7Ghz)

Both will have 32GB RAM, a m.2 BootSSD, a working SSD and a 4TB BackupDrive.

As GPU i will use a GTX1070.

What do you think? Which CPU would fit for my work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can search the internet for CPU speed comparisons. In general, for Lightroom you want the fastest CPU you can afford. The extra memory doesn't do much for Lightroom, 16GB is fine. I don't know what you mean by "working SSD", but there's no point in putting your photos on a SSD, you will never notice the tiny fractions of seconds difference that it makes. On the other hand, if youu mean that you want the catalog file and previews on an SSD, that's a very good idea. The GPU only makes a difference if you have a 4K or larger screen, otherwise you could get away with a much less expensive GPU.

All of the above recommendations applies to Lightroom only. I cannot speak about Photoshop or Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i have already search some pages, but there find no comparsion between those 2 cpus.
Now i have 16GB - and i see i need more...some of my photoshop files are more than 5-8GB, my ram is always full.
But i think, the i7 will also be fast on premiere..i dont think you don´t feel really a difference to the e-5, perhaps a few seconds.

So i think i choose the i7 with 32GB. Yes, the catalog will be on the m.2 SSD and my "working" directory with the images from this year will be on a SSD. Older one on HD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2016 Sep 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the catalog will be on the m.2 SSD and my "working" directory with the images from this year will be on a SSD.

It is a waste of time to put photos to the SSD and then move them off of there later. Putting photos on an SSD does not result in anything but an extremely small speed benefit that you will never notice, and it will be dwarfed by the time you spend moving the photos to somewhere else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2016 Sep 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

clickpix wrote:

Yes, i have already search some pages, but there find no comparsion between those 2 cpus.

The links I provided to Puget Custom Computer's tests can be used to predict the performance of ANY processor based on # of cores it has. There is no need to see results for the two specific processors you posted. The i7-6700k has 4-cores and 4.0GHz clock speed. The E5-1650 v4 has six-cores and a slightly slower (10%) 3.6GHz clock speed. Look at the charts:

Lightroom 4 versus 6 core performance.....very little gain!

Adobe Lightroom CC/6 Multi Core Performance - Puget Custom Computers

Premiere 4 versus 6 core performance.....Showing as 99% Efficient up to 6 cores, which means 6/4 = 50% performance improvement. Only you can decide if the higher cost ($650 versus $350 = 85% higher) of the E5-1650v4 processor is worth the speed improvement (85% more $s to get 50% more performance). It's actually 0nly a 45% performance increase because the E5-1650 v4 has a 10% lower clock speed.

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Multi Core Performance - Puget Custom Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR doesn't benefit much beyond 4-cores.

Adobe Lightroom CC/6 Multi Core Performance - Puget Custom Computers

Best bet is the highest clock speed Quad Core processor you can afford. The i7-6700k is a good choice:

PassMark - Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - Price performance comparison .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere does benefit from more than 4-cores:

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Multi Core Performance - Puget Custom Computers

The E5-1650v4 Xeon processor will help here, but not in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere uses the GPU power a lot, if we talk of Premiere CS5 or later. Memory will help with concurrent running programs. The Multi Core Performance test does not reflect the influence of the GPU, but out of my testing, AI know that as logon as the GPU can be used for transitions, it has a great influence.

I didn't test Photoshop, but I suppose that Photoshop is quite similar then LR.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines