• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GTX 1080 make After Effects and Premiere A LOT slower compared to my old GTX 680

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that Adobe doesn't support raytraced / CUDA with the newer cards and some older too.
I didn't like it but I can live with this.
But for some reason, everything in After Effects and Premiere got really slow since I installed the GTX 1080.
I don't know it it has something to do with the driver that is compatible with this GPU or it could be an issue with CUDA 8, or even Adobe messed up things and being lazy they forgot to add support for GPU acceleration. Playback and editing is slower than Windows Movie Maker, really.

It simply take seconds to update the frame, without any effect at all.
Premiere that used to be really fast can't even play in realtime like before.

I'll have to upgrade my CPU because of this problem, and I think that even doing this I'll not get the same performance I was getting before, or at least not much faster.

Is there a solution? Is it a known issue? It has something to do with Drivers? Cuda 8? Optix.1.dll? After Effects CC 2015 / 2015.3 ?
I can't work because of this...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those cards are simply too new to be properly supported. I would suggest you wait for the next CC updates before making any decisions. I'm pretty sure it will work better then.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you cannot work because of it he solution seems pretty obvious...put your 680 back in.  "Put 680 back in" vs. "Can't work"?  Seems like a no brainer to me.  Of course you won't be able to game on triple, 4k monitors @ 60fps but,   sometimes sacrifices need to be made so we can continue working.  Hopefully you still have the 680....Or sell your 1080 and pick up a 970.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have the GTX 680, but I need to sell it soon to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and memory RAM
I will try to put it back, but I'm afraid that the CUDA 8 / newer drivers could mess it up too
I did not found a way to downgrade the CUDA version if it's related to the problem

EDIT: By updating the Premiere GPU accelerations seen to be working now, depending on the project it seen slow, but I think it's because of my old CPU.

Testing GTX 680 in After Effects feels a bit faster, but I'm not sure. Raytrace runs flawlessly using the GTX 680, and keep the errors and black screen using the GTX 1080 as before. Would be nice if they add support to Pascal gpus, even if raytrace is outdated, because it's easier to make a lot of things using it than using an external software that require a lot of tweeking to look acceptable. The Cinema4D integration is handy, but not that seamless as it could be, and I think it doesn't support plugins like TurbulenceFD (Fire and Smoke simulation) I'll try to use Element 3D instead for now and hope that Adobe update CUDA / Raytrace / GPU acceleration support soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2016 Sep 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FuurioBR wrote:

I'll try to use Element 3D instead for now and hope that Adobe update CUDA / Raytrace / GPU acceleration support soon.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for that...see this.

Now, the new version of AE that is "coming soon" will have a much more integrated Cinema 4D solution that behaves similarly to the ray-traced renderer. Bad news is that it's not GPU-accelerated. Good news is that it's the Cinema 4D standard renderer, so it will be fully multithreaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see... Well, if to make raytrace work with Pascal GPUs is a matter of just updating some dll's, they could do it just because.
But if they don't, by making Cinema 4D properly integrated would do the trick. Cinema 4D runs smooth here.
I'll miss GPU-acceleration, but sonner or later I'll get the best CPU available.
They could at least accept alternative renderers, there are a lot of 3D renderers with GPU-acceleration available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently set up a build (moving from mac) with:

i7 6700 CPU, 16GB ram and a GTX1070, and rendering across the board is insanely slow. Right now i'm exporting a 10 second logo sting with over an hour left estimating. Not sure whether our issues are linked but like you said, can't work because of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jamals26396181 wrote:

I recently set up a build (moving from mac) with:

i7 6700 CPU, 16GB ram and a GTX1070, and rendering across the board is insanely slow. Right now i'm exporting a 10 second logo sting with over an hour left estimating. Not sure whether our issues are linked but like you said, can't work because of this.

What did you create that logo sting with? Was it the ray-traced renderer or some third-party plugin? If not, the GPU should be fairly irrelevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've contacted Adobe, got this answer:

"We really apologize for the inconvenience but the ray-traced 3d is no longer being developed by the Engineering team as there is much more powerful Cinema 4D is available inside After Effects. So, all the future efforts will be on integration with Maxon Cinema 4D and 3D plug-ins Raytraced-3D will remain in After Effects until there's a suitable replacement, but will no longer be developed.

Stating that doesn't means that this card will never be utilized or added for performance as we are committed to do the best utilization of the software and hardware and add anything and everything that can help is faster processing, quality and stability of the software So, rest assured that there will be features, cards and hardware that will be added to get the most out of it. You just need to wait for the next release of After Effects which will definitely have more features, stability and faster workflows."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2016 Sep 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GREAT NEWS!
I've got it working! Only with the Optix 3.9.1 It looks a slower than it should, but at least I've got it working... The Optix 4.0 doesn't even show up on After Effects, doesn't detect CUDA with it. If someone find a way to improve it, make it faster, or even to get Optix 4.0 working (with should be faster) let me know! For now, I'll leave the dll here, just replace the one found in the "Support Files" (make a backup copy first) DOWNLOAD:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1931sr3ik9mapt/optix.1.dll?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2016 Sep 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude! God bless you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does checking the box "Enable untested, unsupported GP for CUDA acceleration etc" make AE actually  use the GPU's cuda cores properly?

Both  15.3 & 17 seem to have the 10 series as unsupported even if in the "raytracer_supported_cards"  txt file the gpu is added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

evan.fotis wrote:

Does checking the box "Enable untested, unsupported GP for CUDA acceleration etc" make AE actually use the GPU's cuda cores properly?

Both 15.3 & 17 seem to have the 10 series as unsupported even if in the "raytracer_supported_cards" txt file the gpu is added.

Yes. Or, rather, it should.

But again, that's only in reference to the ray-traced renderer which is going to be phased out at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines