• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I upgrade to Lightroom 6 from version 5 without the Creative Cloud? I just want Lightroom.

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I upgrade to Lightroom 6 from version 5  without the Creative Cloud? I just want Lightroom.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Found it :

Lightroom CC/6 Branding

• The branding has changed – it’s now Lightroom CC for subscribers and Lightroom 6 for perpetual licenses.
  • Perpetual licenses ARE still available but they’re hard to find on Adobe’s website! It’s $149 for new licenses and $79 for upgrades.
  • Full boxed versions are available from third parties such as Amazon. Upgrades are only available direct from Adobe (click this link, then click Buy, then change it to an upgrade. If you’re not in the USA, select your country bottom

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it :

Lightroom CC/6 Branding

• The branding has changed – it’s now Lightroom CC for subscribers and Lightroom 6 for perpetual licenses.
  • Perpetual licenses ARE still available but they’re hard to find on Adobe’s website! It’s $149 for new licenses and $79 for upgrades.
  • Full boxed versions are available from third parties such as Amazon. Upgrades are only available direct from Adobe (click this link, then click Buy, then change it to an upgrade. If you’re not in the USA, select your country bottom left. Here’s the UK direct link.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just followed the link in your second bullet. The upgrade price of $79 does not appear to be an option. The only way to upgrade appears to be the $149 "full price".

btw - Adobe are trying to push CC at $9.99 per month - since it is almost 2 years between major upgrades that would price Lightroom via CC at almost $240. Which does not make economical sense for someone who only wants to use Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just followed the link in your second bullet. The upgrade price of $79 does not appear to be an option. The only way to upgrade appears to be the $149 "full price"

You need change "Full" to "Upgrade" and also specify the earlier version of Lightroom that you own and then the $79 price appears!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same with me any one has the solution????

sailor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ak45758955 wrote:

The same with me any one has the solution????

sailor

Excuse me, this has been a long thread. Solution to what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry it was about upgrade to lightroom 6 and what do you get for that upgrade , newer version off camera raw? as far i can see not much profit for me no dehayse or warp  willing to pay for it ,but impossible so far, the only profit goes to adobe, imagen how much income is rennegate from the contribution yearly to pay and when the major part has changed they can raise price bit by bit

sailor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignoringe your criticisms of Adobe, yes you can upgrade to Lightroom 6, you get all Lightroom 6 features, you get ongoing new camera and ongoing new lens support and ongoing bug fixes, but you do not get any of the newer Lightroom CC features like dehaze and boundary warp and guided upright (and a few others as well).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are trying to push CC at $9.99 per month - since it is almost 2 years between major upgrades that would price Lightroom via CC at almost $240. Which does not make economical sense for someone who only wants to use Lightroom.

Yes of course, that's why Adobe gives you options. You actually get a lot more features for the $9.99 a month than you get with the $79 upgrade price. So you have a choice. If you only want to use Lightroom, then $79 makes sense. If you want Lightroom plus new Lightroom features plus Lightroom Mobile plus Photoshop, you have to pay more, which also makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can buy from the following link. After clicking "Buy" change from Full to Upgrade; then select your existing LR product from the drop-down menu and the correct pricing will be displayed. Then simply choose “Add to Cart”

https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/software._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_softwar e_sl_most...

Or you can take a 30 day free trial via the Creative Cloud to test what’s new (some new features are only available to CC subscribers) and after the trial it’s possible to convert the CC version to the LR6 stand-alone version, upon purchase of a serial number and without any further installation. In either case make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements.

Compare Lightroom versions | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC

Minimum system requirements

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I did not notice the change from full to upgrade when I first used the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes me VERY VERY VERY angry.  Adobe are want their cake AND eat it.  As an amateur photographer - I love LR5 and feel abandoned with this stupid subscription idea - it's a complete ripoff.  Just like MS and its stupid 365 Office.  Why don't they realise that this will alienate thousands of users - I have totally lost confidence in them and will now look for an alternative.  Sorry Adobe - and goodbye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, Mike, you are angry because you MISUNDERSTAND the issue.

Of course you can buy Lightroom 6 without the Creative Cloud and without subscription. So what is there to be angry about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige   The issue I have is that yes, I can renew my standalone version of LR for $79, but in an earlier post you said we get a lot more features with the CC version.  So if we can do either, why are they watering down one version versus the other.  Personally, I HAVE to upgrade from LR5 because I bought a Nikon D750, and according to Adobe version 6 is needed in order to tether.  It seems clear that Adobe is driving the herd to the cloud.  I just want the FULL featured version of LR6 for $79, not for $120 per year. Or better yet, give me tethering codecs for the new D750 camera and I'll stick with LR5!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you pay more, again, for LR 7, you’ll get the new features beyond what LR 6 had when it first came out, the same as always. The CC people get things early because they pay continuously. This assumes that Adobe will offer LR 7 and not just go with CC for everything.

For $120/year you get Photoshop as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There will be no Lr 7 - says so on Adobe website

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there will not! Your options will be either Lr 6 with a last update at the end of the year or the subscription of Lr Classic CC (with Photoshop) or Lr CC with 1Tb of cloud space, but without Ps and without some advanced features Of Lr Classic.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want P/shop. I don't want mobile app versions. I don't want the pathetic - outrageous! - storage allocations that come with the subscription options. I don't want my stuff in the cloud. I don't want to be stuck with a subscription rate which Adobe can jack up at will, once I'm nailed to the CC floor.

Subscribing may suit some people. The idea that every little tweak that Adobe pasts into L/R and the bundled apps may keep these people happy. They may be able to shell out ad nauseam for the app - which they once had the option to own outright and upgrade if and when they felt so inclined. But not me.

People - be absolutely clear that the subscription 'option' is nothing to do with enhancing the capabilities of this application. It is a way to turn owners of Lightroom into renters of Lightroom. And, as is the case in almost every aspect of life, owning an asset is far better than renting it.

For example, TomTom sold TomTom navigation for Android as a stand alone. Then they told all us owners that we had now 'bought' a 3 year 'licence' to use the app. At the end of 3 years, all owners will be obliged to subscribe. Fortunately, by the time this happens, alternatives to TomTom will be available. They are now - not least Google nav for free.

But will there be a worthwhile alternative to L/R? As Apple's version of this software has been ditched, Adobe has grabbed the opportunity to establish a captive market for a rented application, with no viable alternative in sight.

People have said "Ah! But when v7 comes along you will be locked out ... ". It is most unlikely that there will ever be a v7 because with the constant "free upgrade" associated with renting the app, there is no need for Adobe to launch complete new versions. Any enhancements will be fed into the app as they are developed.

I will not even by the 'upgrade' to v6. I will buy the complete application at whatever Amazon UK charges. I spoke to Adobe today and, grinding away at the point until the poor guy must have wished he was at the dentist, I was reassured that 6 will live on my laptop completely independently from my 5.7.1. Never the twain will meet - for Adobe to hi-jack my existing fully paid versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 WILL live on your computer completely independent of Lightroom 5.7.1. Lightroom 6 had 14 updates. Lightroom 6 .14 is available as a FREE download from Adobe. It will be the last update ever for Lightroom 6. No big deal. No more updates. In other words, once you have installed that update you will have received everything you will ever receive from Adobe for Lightroom. The umbilical cord will be cut and you will be FREE for the rest of your life. No more updates, no more support, no more need for you to be bothered by Adobe ever again. So purchase Lightroom 6, be sure to get the 6.14 update, and live happily ever after!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

chrisnation  wrote

I don't want P/shop. I don't want mobile app versions. I don't want the pathetic - outrageous! - storage allocations that come with the subscription options. I don't want my stuff in the cloud. I don't want to be stuck with a subscription rate which Adobe can jack up at will, once I'm nailed to the CC floor.

Subscribing may suit some people. The idea that every little tweak that Adobe pasts into L/R and the bundled apps may keep these people happy. They may be able to shell out ad nauseam for the app - which they once had the option to own outright and upgrade if and when they felt so inclined. But not me.

People - be absolutely clear that the subscription 'option' is nothing to do with enhancing the capabilities of this application. It is a way to turn owners of Lightroom into renters of Lightroom. And, as is the case in almost every aspect of life, owning an asset is far better than renting it.

For example, TomTom sold TomTom navigation for Android as a stand alone. Then they told all us owners that we had now 'bought' a 3 year 'licence' to use the app. At the end of 3 years, all owners will be obliged to subscribe. Fortunately, by the time this happens, alternatives to TomTom will be available. They are now - not least Google nav for free.

But will there be a worthwhile alternative to L/R? As Apple's version of this software has been ditched, Adobe has grabbed the opportunity to establish a captive market for a rented application, with no viable alternative in sight.

People have said "Ah! But when v7 comes along you will be locked out ... ". It is most unlikely that there will ever be a v7 because with the constant "free upgrade" associated with renting the app, there is no need for Adobe to launch complete new versions. Any enhancements will be fed into the app as they are developed.

I will not even by the 'upgrade' to v6. I will buy the complete application at whatever Amazon UK charges. I spoke to Adobe today and, grinding away at the point until the poor guy must have wished he was at the dentist, I was reassured that 6 will live on my laptop completely independently from my 5.7.1. Never the twain will meet - for Adobe to hi-jack my existing fully paid versions.

This is a forum for technical support. This is 100% off-topic. Now I'm not a moderator, but if I was, I'd delete this. Just saying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cscottflanagan wrote:

dj_paige   The issue I have is that yes, I can renew my standalone version of LR for $79, but in an earlier post you said we get a lot more features with the CC version.  So if we can do either, why are they watering down one version versus the other.

Every company on the planet offers different items at different prices, and as far as I can tell, when you pay more, you get more; and when you pay less, you get less. What is so surprising about this?

It seems clear that Adobe is driving the herd to the cloud.  I just want the FULL featured version of LR6 for $79, not for $120 per year. Or better yet, give me tethering codecs for the new D750 camera and I'll stick with LR5!

But Adobe doesn't offer the FULL featured version for $79. Just like your cable TV or satellite TV provider wants more money for more channels. Just like automobile makers put their bigger engines in cars that cost more. Just like that higher grade of steak at the supermarket costs more than stew beef. You are in effect, asking for something for nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue with dj_paige's defence of Adobe in this respect. LR 5.7 WAS fully featured, it has failed to be maintained since CC came out. So the 'perpetual licence' holders, including me, are faced with the choice of subscribing to CC or running with 5.7 (or lower) which doesn't receive updates very often.

This is especially apparent in camera RAW support.

I appreciate that Adobe are trying to create a sustainable model, but from my point of view, it is being done at the expense of people who have long bought their products. $79 (almost the equivalent in pounds) to upgrade 5.7 to 6.x is clearly designed to force the hand of the perpetual licence user to move onto the CC platform, as the value for money for paying for the upgrade is tough to justify.

Yet, the CC model requires £95.88 per year. I have had my licence for 5.x for quite some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 5.7 WAS fully featured,

Stand-alone Lightroom 5.7 was not fully featured, compared to the Creative Cloud version of Lightroom 5.7. The feature allowing you to brush over the graduated filter areas and remove the effect of the graduated filter was in the Creative CLoud version only.

So the 'perpetual licence' holders, including me, are faced with the choice of subscribing to CC or running with 5.7 (or lower) which doesn't receive updates very often.

You are faced with the choice of running Lightroom 5.7 and using the FREE DNG Converter, upgrading to Lightroom 6 (now at 6.7) or subscribing to Lightroom CC 2015. All of these options have the EXACT SAME camera support.

$79 (almost the equivalent in pounds) to upgrade 5.7 to 6.x is clearly designed to force the hand of the perpetual licence user to move onto the CC platform

You are using the word "force" to have the opposite meaning of what "force" means. You have several choices here, and none of them is "Forced" on you. You can

• do nothing, stay at Lightroom 5.7 and use the FREE Adobe DNG converter to allow new camera's RAW photos to be usable in Lgihtroom 5.7
  • Upgrade to Lightroom 6 and get all new camera support at the cost of 79 US Dollars (or whatever the price is in your country)
  • Subscribe to Lightroom CC 2015 and get all new camera support at the cost of $9.99 US Dollars (or whatever the price is in your country)
  • Use some other manufacturer's software

You are not being "forced" to do anything. You have a number of choices. Since you have several choices, including a FREE option, how can you say this is being done at the expense of Adobe customers? Since every other company charges money for major upgrades, what exactly are you objecting to anyway? You won't find it any different if you switch to other software manufacturers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've met nonsense peddlers like you before, who are too busy defending than listening to the issue.

The bells and whistles of CC are of no interested to me, brushes and the suchlike are for AP togs.

What I do need is continued support for the cameras I am sent sometimes to trial, do features on etc. Often times this is not an issue as Canon/Nikon are supported of the bat, it's cameras like Fuji's X line, Sony etc. who's RAW profiles are not fully supported.

I went and looked at my receipt for LR 5 which is dated 2012 and cost around £270, depending on whether you include the tax, clearly you'd think I'm being unreasonable to expect the updated RAW file configs to be applied to the 5 version. I, however, do not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I do need is continued support for the cameras

Adobe makes that possible with the free DNG Converter. I'm not sure why you expect old software to be updated every time a manufacturer brings out a new camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines