• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible to recover Indesign files after a crash?

Participant ,
Sep 19, 2016 Sep 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign crashed and when I re-opened it, I only gives me older versions of files that I did save. I've just lost hours of work. Is there any way to recover the more recent versions of the files before the crash??? Help! I'm on a deadline. This is not good!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 19, 2016 Sep 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: this was not a system crash, just a program crash. I'm on a Mac OS 10.10.5, InDesign version CC. Also, I'm sure I had saved the file and yet upon re-starting, I only have the 3.5 hours old version. I've never had this happen. I'm hoping I can recover the file but I don't know where to look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure - there's a help section for this Recover InDesign documents

Let me know if you get stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this link, Recover InDesign documents 

I did look at this page yesterday and tried to find my files, but the peculiar thing is that I cannot find an InDesign Recovery Folder anywhere on my computer. I searched for the following words in the finder and got nothing. "Recovery" "Recovered files" "Recovery folder" "dbt" and nothing. So, do you know where the folder "lives" on my hard drive so I can look there? Any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, if InDesign crashes your work would be automatically recovered. The most I've ever lost, even on a file that hadn't been saved at all was only a couple of minutes of work.

Did you not get an autorecovery when you opened InDesign again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strangely, I did not get an auto recovery this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per the notes

• Mac OS X: Users/[User Name]/Library/Cache/Adobe InDesign/Version[#.0]/InDesign Recovery

Note:

The information contained in the above folders is in encrypted format. You can't use it to recover the document using a third-party tool or force InDesign to recover the data for you.

While on the Desktop - Hold the Option key on your keyboard, and click the Go menu at the top of the screen. With the Go menu open, you'll notice that pressing and releasing Option will display or hide the Library choice in this menu. Select Library from the Go menu (while holding down Option) to access the hidden folder.

Then follow the thread to Cache/Adobe/InDesign/Version/InDesign Recovery

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so now I finally found the folder (thanks), though I still don't understand why a keyword search did not help me in the finder. Inside the InDesign Recovery folder are 3 files named: DBTmp, DBSharingShield, and RecoveryData (with the word "Backup" on the icon). While this looks promising, I am unable to open the file. When I try to open it I get this message "Cannot open the file "RecoveryData". Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."

Now what?

How do I access this backup document?

Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it says in the help files - you can't really do anything with these.

If there was a document to recover it would be in there. If it's not then it's lost.

Do you use Time Machine?

By the way - it doesn't show up because it's a hidden folder. http://lifehacker.com/5711409/how-to-search-for-hidden-packaged-and-system-files-in-os-x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So even though it says backup, it's not really a backup?!? Oh well, I guess I'll have to recreate the files. Sure does not give me a very confident feeling moving forward though.

If there were recovered files in that folder, what would they look like?

Yes I use Time machine but I only backup once a day so those hours of work are gone.

Thanks for your suggestions and tips, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly the same problem.

What you have to do is reinstall the CC indesign 2015,

then the old program will find and recover your files.

Simple if you know the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Can you explain this?

I don't understand what  "then the old program will find and recover your files" means.

Lately I've had Indesign crashes where it just goes down and doesn't offer to recover my current work files the way it used to and I lose whatever I've done since the last save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rigoliarts  wrote

InDesign crashed and... I've just lost hours of work.

I know it's too late for you for this time, and I do wish you the best with the recovery efforts, but please don't work for hours without a regular Save. Saving every 5-10 minutes is a better idea—or every time you complete a "section", whichever comes first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, and a Save As with an incremental file name occasionally plus an external save from time-to-time. Belt and braces!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines