Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon 5D Mark IV and photoshop compatibility

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2016 Sep 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've got a couple of questions about the compatibility of the Mark IV raw and Photoshop CC.

I'm currently still using PS CC2014 and its related CR version.

Is it this version compatible with the Mark IV Raw? If not,  is it possible to update only CR and leave PS CC 2014?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this moment, the Canon 5D Mark IV raw files cannot be used in Adobe software. You'd hvae to use the manufacturer's software to convert the files to TIF, and then you can use them in Adobe software. Most likely when the next Adobe software update comes out, then you will be able to use the RAWs from this camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you quick answer!That's what I suspected... But do you know if it is possible to only update CR (maybe manually?) and not Photoshop? Or I would have to update everything to the latest cc release? Sorry if I ask, it seems stupid question but I always update them together so I have no idea.. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACR should be a separate item in the CC Desktop updates list so I think you can update just it, unless it doesn’t work with CC 2014 for some reason. I don’t know because I don’t have CC 2014 on my computer, anymore. Do you have ACR 9.6.1, now, or something much older? Use Help / About Plug-in / Camera Raw to find out what version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. I do have CR 9.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe say..Soon after the camera is released,

no Idee for....

one or two Days ?

One or two weeks?

one or two months?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cattleya007 wrote:

no Idee for....

one or two Days ?

One or two weeks?

one or two months?

Adobe didn't say "soon", they never announce release dates in advance. So ...

one or two Days ? No one knows

One or two weeks? No one knows

one or two months? No one knows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure wish they would hurry up with update.  Creating the TIF files and then sending to LR that way is such a long winded way of doing things.  I'm not going to bother with any more RAW on mark iv until update comes out.  Might have to stick to RAW  on the mark iii for now.  Sometimes being one of the first comes with drama but I'm sure we will all be very happy once Adobe sort this for us. Come on Adobe, you know we love you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kra2ykatt wrote:

Sure wish they would hurry up with update. Creating the TIF files and then sending to LR that way is such a long winded way of doing things. I'm not going to bother with any more RAW on mark iv until update comes out. Might have to stick to RAW on the mark iii for now. Sometimes being one of the first comes with drama but I'm sure we will all be very happy once Adobe sort this for us. Come on Adobe, you know we love you

Perhaps you should tell Adobe this, instead of writing it in a user-to-user forum, we users can't speed this up at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My temporary solution has been to install the latest version of Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4 and batch process them to tif files. It is taking a long time to complete this process with over 600 RAW files. I will be glad when Adobe LR 5 will be able to recognize the new raw format in the MK IV. I previously updated my Adobe DNG Converter and that wouldn't work for me either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you find that editing white balance on the TIFF files is a bit..  "off"?  I feel like as I adjust the temperature in Lightroom, it just gives the entire image an artificial color cast, rather than the smooth, appealing effect of adjusting temperature on a RAW file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, I'm not having any problems with white balance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you find that editing white balance on the TIFF files is a bit..  "off"?  I feel like as I adjust the temperature in Lightroom, it just gives the entire image an artificial color cast, rather than the smooth, appealing effect of adjusting temperature on a RAW file.

I've noticed, and customers of my Export LUT plugin have also noticed, that if you apply a preset to a raw and to a full-resolution, 16-bit TIFF exported by LR from the raw, there can be noticeable differences in the colors.  I don't have a full understanding of the technical reasons for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adjust the white balance on the RAW in DPP before you export it to a TIFF.  This way you will have the full advantage of the RAW data for the white balance.  This is the same problem with trying to adjust white balance in a JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh.  I figured this was the best option.  Not having full use of this amazing camera is painful.  C'mon, Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See here for estimates of when the next release will come out, based on past releases: Re: Next scheduled update for LR/CCBut as already indicated, Adobe employees and others who know for sure aren't allowed to say anything publicly.  And when LR/ACR support for the 5D Mark IV does come out, it's very possible it won't support the dual-pixel functionality (at least initially).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that Camera Raw 9.6.1 is available (don't know when it was available) and I'm installing it now.  It says to support new camera models, but no clue where to find what those models are and if the Mark IV is one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MrhoniKeith wrote:

I see that Camera Raw 9.6.1 is available (don't know when it was available) and I'm installing it now. It says to support new camera models, but no clue where to find what those models are and if the Mark IV is one of them.

All in the Lightroom blog (July 19, 2016)

Camera Raw 9.6.1 now available

Only Fujifilm XT-2 support was added in 9.6.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHEN? WHEN? WHEN?????

Adobe is slacking!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody knows. Well, those who do know are bound by a nondisclosure agreement not to tell. You have to remember that your camera model isn't the only model that Adobe is concerned about. There really are other camera makers that need to be supported as well. In my opinion, Adobe seems to make conscious efforts to provide updates in as timely a manner as possible. My guess is that the next update to Lightroom will come in the next few 2-4 weeks. But that is only a guess. To get the real answer, you'll just have to wait until the next release comes. Be aware that Lightroom 6 and Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC and the latest version of Photoshop Elements  are the only versions that will receive the update to support your new camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No point in getting the new camera at the first day if the software that you use in the workflow isn't capable of handling the images. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you probably feel victimized right now. This issue comes up every time a new major camera is released. Buyers of previous Canon models have expressed the same frustration that you are facing now. When the Nikon D7200 was released there were a bunch of angry  users blaming Adobe for not being on top of things. The fact is, this happens every time a new camera is released. It takes time for Adobe to create the profiles for each camera model because Adobe is just another company to them. It isn't their concern whether or not Lightroom or camera raw can support their raw file format. After all, Canon provides their own software. It isn't the camera brand, it's every model that Adobe has to support. You'll get an update as soon as it's ready. It isn't going to do you any good saying that you have clients waiting. It isn't going to do and he is to blame Adobe. As long as every camera maker insists on creating their own proprietary raw file format, this issue will continue. Am I an Adobe fan boy? Not at all. I face frustrations as well. But this is the way the system works, and you aren't going to change it. And you aren't the only person facing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I understand Adobe takes time to update file profiles. But it is my job to voice my opinion... and if I rely heavily on Adobe products in my business, pay monthly subscription for their software that isn't current, then it is my duty to yell and scream my dissatisfaction. After all, there are other alternatives and may choose to be more responsive to the clients' needs. So Adobe should be more proactive adding the support as soon as cameras are on the market... I am looking for the date when this upgrade would be available and came across these threads... I do think it's terrible customer service on Adobe's part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree.  They own the market and should be responsible with having things ready for every "major" camera launch.  Not every camera, but every "major" launch.  The 5D Mark IV launch in my opinion warrants having RAW compatibility ready immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are sure older cameras to meet your clients needs until you have support. Canon doesn't worry about whether or not Lightroom and Photoshop can support their raw format. Canon provides their own software. If you choose to use another software such as Lightroom or Photoshop then you have to wait in line just like everyone else has had to wait in line whenever they have purchased a brand-new camera. Adobe has get the camera after it has been released and create profiles specific to the model. It isn't just the Canon raw file format. It is the specific model. If you want to lobby Canon to provide Adobe with advanced copies, go for it. A better alternative would be to convince Canon, Nikon and other camera makers to use a common raw file format. What would you suggest that would improve Adobe's "terrible" customer service in this regard? Really, in your Nirvana world, how should this be resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines