• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rh2015 sloooow saves

Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2016 Sep 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• When I press Ctrl+S, the save can take up to 20 seconds; if I click the interface during that time, I'll get the NOT RESPONDING notification from Windows 7 Enterprise.
  • The later in the day, the longer the saves. Closing and opening Rh does not shorten the save times and neither does rebooting Windows.
  • Rh is installed on my C: drive and my project is on my own E: drive. I tried moving the project to my C: drive but there was no improvement.
  • There is no difference between saving a one-character change with one topic open or saving more changes with more topics open.
  • We have been using git for version control for many years, but the slow saves have been going on for only a couple of weeks.
  • I do not have a backup program running on my workstation.

I suspect that this has something to do with Windows 7, but Rh2015 is the only app that's been suffering from slow saves. What's Rh2015 doing during saves that is sooooo hard to do quickly? What software package did Microsoft release within the last 30 days that might have caused a problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

I asked our IT guy if there were anything added recently, such as a desktop management system. He said no, and also that any backup I might have going would be Box synchronization or something that I myself would have to set up.

As for the video, is WTFV the new RTFM?

I appreciate how awesome Captivate is. I also know that I absorb written material better than videos.

"Select File > Options > Clear project cache (.cpd) file before opening any project" was actually the fastest route between A and B

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very surprised to hear you say that moving from the E drive to the C drive made no change. Normally I would expect sllllooooooowwwww behavior if a project is on a network drive. Move it to the C drive and ZING! Speeds right up!

Perhaps you might try what is outlined in the video linked below and see if it improves anything.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The E: drive is local, not network. All my apps are installed on a solid-state C: drive, and I have an enormous local E: drive that spins. That's why my third bullet specified that the E: drive was local.

So Rh is communicating with its source files over a local bus, not a network connection.

I am finding that the save times are slow sometimes and fast others within the same hour, and there ain't no rhyme or reason to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Through the years of my participating here in the support forums you would be surprised at how many people use network drives and are utterly convinced that they are local drives because they see the drive letters on their own PC.

Then again, I've seen many strange things in years of support. When one lady saw the first 3.5 inch floppy, she insisted it was one of those new "hard drives" because of the hard plastic casing. LOL

When you say the E drive is on a "local bus", do you mean that it's connected to the motherboard or that it's a USB drive?

Did you try what was outlined in the video? If not, why not?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not watch the video because you sent it under the assumption that don't know the difference between a local bus and a network connection. I have known about Rh's network drive problems since 2012.

The E drive and C drive communicate over a local bus. I can disconnect the Ethernet cable and still work on the project. I have no external drives connected over USB, Fibre Channel, SAS-2 or SAS-3, IEEE 802.11, or neural synapses.

I have had this workstation for more than 6 months, and Rh has only been saving slowly for the last 2 or 3 weeks. I do not know whether the slowness started on a Tuesday, but I suspect that the workstation is running something — or the last Windows service pack has done something — to affect Rh and Rh only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I would suggest is what is in Rick's video and regardless of where the

project is.

The other thing I once encountered was IT adding a new on the fly backup

that slowed things up.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2016 Sep 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Windows 10 I've personally noticed my own PC rather inexplicably slowing to a crawl at times. When that happens, I rather assume it's because Windows itself is downloading some update and it's affecting overall performance. My wife regularly reports the same on her PC.

Hope you find a solution.

I'm done here... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I asked our IT guy if there were anything added recently, such as a desktop management system. He said no, and also that any backup I might have going would be Box synchronization or something that I myself would have to set up.

As for the video, is WTFV the new RTFM?

I appreciate how awesome Captivate is. I also know that I absorb written material better than videos.

"Select File > Options > Clear project cache (.cpd) file before opening any project" was actually the fastest route between A and B in this case.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp