• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to install the critical security update?

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Adobe Flash Player has not worked for a couple days on any of my three browsers on any page that uses it.  Running Windows 10 on Surface Pro 4.  Really annoying.  Just found out there is a critical security flaw that has a critical security update available.  When I go to that page though...guess what?  Have to have Flash Player running in order to access the page....

Evidently this security issue allows the system to be taken over.  Kind of a big thing.  Would be nice if was a way to call Adobe and get walk-through on how to fix it.  Even better, would be nice to get some sort of notification of the issue in a timely manner rather than having to figure it out days later, potentially exposing system for extended period.

Can anyone provide help on how to do the security fix without having Flash working?

This all is just my perception from putting things together.  Have not been able to access any info about what the heck is going on or details regarding the severity.

[Moved from Shockwave to Flash... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. Since the plugin is not working in any of my browsers...it suggests the system *has* been compromised.  Adobe?  Adobe?  Bueller?  Bueller?  Anyone? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Flash Player Security Notifications and Advisories are available at Security Bulletins and Advisories .  Specific information on the 23.0.0.162 release is available at apsb16-29.  You can register to receive security notifications at Adobe Security Notification Registration

What page are you referring to when you say "When I go to that page though...guess what?  Have to have Flash Player running in order to access the page...."  What is the URL to this page?

What you mean by "the plugin is not working in any of my browsers"  Please provide specific details on the behaviour observed and browsers (including version).

As of Windows 8 Microsoft embeds Flash Player in IE, and Edge browser on Windows 10.  Flash Player updates for IE/Edge are released by Microsoft via Windows Update. If you're using IE/Edge run Windows Update to install the update.

If you're using a different browser (except for Chrome) launch the browser and go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer to download and install the update.

If you use Chrome, Google has already released the update. Update Chrome if it hasn't updated yet or go to chrome://components to force an update.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See comment below. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well good news is I can go to the security update page now without computer hanging, so that is progress.  However, there is no security update there to install, just a bunch of info that I don't know what to do with. 

When I go into Chrome components, it shows PepperFlash as 22.0.0.209 and says it is updated (though evidently new version is 23.0.0.xxx).  Not sure how to force it to update--google claims there is no way to manually uninstall and reinstall the plugin, at mercy of update mechanism. 

I do believe have 23.0.0.xxx installed on the Windows 10 box, though not finding a way to check version.  Have downloaded and installed it multiple times.  So evidently 23.0.0.xxx has the security fix in it? 

Seems like the problem then is to get Chrome to update it since it believes it is up-to-date.  Any suggestions on how to do that?

As for the behavior in chrome and edge, flash player content does not play.  For HBO NOW, the system just spins like it is loading and does not play.  As I said, the diagnostics page that is supposed to show a version number indicates that the plugin cannot load.  Don't know how to update it and get it to load on that page.  That would be a good accomplishment.  Here is the link to that page:
Troubleshoot Flash Player games, video, or audio| Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Maria, I know where they are located.  Unfortunately, since Flash Player is not working, it seems to block me from accessing those pages. 

Have done everything I can dream of and find by googling.  Still no luck.  Deleted cash and browsing history, uninstalled and reinstalled on the computer. 

When I google, "How do I make flash player work?" it takes to a page that has a diagnostic.  A box should show version number if flash is installed or else error msg if not.  I get error msg, "Could not load Flash plugin."  The problem?  When I go into Chrome and check for updates, it says all is up to date...and since Flash is part of Chrome I cannot install it separately into it. 

Based on all the memory leaks and security issues and problems making it run...I am starting to question Flash Player's quality.  Would really appreciate if Adobe had some way to talk directly with a tech support person about this, so I can make my computer work and ensure it has not had a security breach (since cannot access the security fix). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2016 Sep 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Windows 10 version do you have?  Go to Settings > About.  What is the Edition, Version, and OS Build listed?

Flash Player is not necessary to go to get.adobe.com/flashplayer to install Flash.  If you're not able to go to that page there is something else going on with your system.

What page are you going to here: "Well good news is I can go to the security update page now without computer hanging, so that is progress.  However, there is no security update there to install, just a bunch of info that I don't know what to do with."?  It would be very helpful if you post the URL to the pages you reference in your posts.

Google saves the plugin to two different locations, depending if it was updated via a Chrome update or component update.  For Chrome update, it's saved at C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\ChromeVersion\PepperFlash (latest version is 53.0.2785.116).  If it's updated via component update it's saved at C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash\FlashVersion.

I would uninstall Chrome, delete everything inside C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash, and then re-install Chrome.

For IE/Edge, the latest update was released in KB3188128 . Please make sure this update is installed on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2016 Sep 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria -

I did give a link to the page.  Please re-read my post--it is at end of post.  Did not say I could not install Flash.  Have repeatedly installed it.  Please re-read posts.  Windows 10 Version 1607 OS Build 14393.187. 

I did already tumble to uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome, and did delete everything you list (was instructions on the link page).  It helped for a day but periodically the flash player still causes the page to freeze so that I have to kill Chrome and restart it, or else it gives message that the content could not play or else it gives message that the Flash Player plugin is not responding and wants to know whether to kill it or not. 

So basically my Surface Pro 4 cannot reliably play video on Edge or Chrome due to the apparent reliance on Flash Player which became broke at the time of this last "critical security issue".  System was working fine until then.  Likely my system has been infiltrated and affected in some way the virus scanner is not detecting.  And you folks are having a hard time reading my posts and grocking their content accurately.  Would be super great if could chat with a human directly on phone and get this resolved in a timely fashion.

===========

What Windows 10 version do you have?  Go to Settings > About.  What is the Edition, Version, and OS Build listed?

Flash Player is not necessary to go to get.adobe.com/flashplayer to install Flash.  If you're not able to go to that page there is something else going on with your system. [Did not say could not install Flash.  Have repeatedly installed it.]

What page are you going to here: "Well good news is I can go to the security update page now without computer hanging, so that is progress.  However, there is no security update there to install, just a bunch of info that I don't know what to do with."?  It would be very helpful if you post the URL to the pages you reference in your posts. [I did give the link.  It is at end of previous post: "Troubleshoot Flash Player games, video, or audio| Windows ".]

Google saves the plugin to two different locations, depending if it was updated via a Chrome update or component update.  For Chrome update, it's saved at C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\ChromeVersion\PepperFlash (latest version is 53.0.2785.116).  If it's updated via component update it's saved at C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash\FlashVersion.

I would uninstall Chrome, delete everything inside C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash, and then re-install Chrome.  [Already did all that.  It seemed to help briefly.  Now, periodically, Flash is not working again.]

For IE/Edge, the latest update was released in KB3188128 . Please make sure this update is installed on your system.

Is there a way to get Edge and Chrome to use some other service for playing video???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the link at the end was not related to the first comment in the post, since they weren't directly referring to each other.

Since you've uninstalled and re-installed Chrome, what Flash Player version is listed in chrome://plugins and chrome://components?

I have seen numerous posts within the last several days about Flash Player issues on Chrome on Windows (mainly folks getting 'could not load plugin' error).  I have escalated the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is 23.0.0.166...should be latest/greatest. 

Yes, likely tied to the "critical security update" timeframe.  Geesh have work-related critical contract documents to electronically sign tonight...you guessed it, cannot, because the Flash plugin won't work to access the documents through their system.  Really would like to get this fixed.  Will have to find another computer to use to do this work tomorrow that needed done stamped today. 

Plus, there is still the issue about what the hell kind of exploits and their symptoms are known via the critical security issue...?  My understanding is the "system can be taken over".  Ok, well, will Mcafee reliably detect and remove any worms or what-nots that were injected via the memory overflow faults in the code?  What names of what viruses have been identified to exploit this Flash issue?  That info will help me find ways to test for the presence of, and remove the exploits. 

What makes me suspect my system has been compromised is the timing with the security update (new version), and the failing of the Flash Player on my system.  Also, after I removed Chrome and reinstalled and did the other items...it worked for a period, and then started failing again.  This suggests to me that some active changes to my system still exist, and re-created a Flash issue of some sort. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2016 Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you need to use Acrobat to sign electronic documents you'll need to install the NPAPI plugin, if you haven't done so yet.  Acrobat uses the NPAPI plugin and Chrome uses the PPAPI plugin. Two completely different things.

While there is always a chance of your system being affected by a Flash exploit, I doubt this is the case with Chrome.  If you read through the forums we have several users reporting issues with Flash Player and Chrome.  You're issue may or may not be related.  On that front, please do the following:

1. Launch Chrome
  2. navigate to chrome://plugins
  3. click the +Details link in the upper right to display plugin details (if not already selected)
  4. Look for the Flash Player entry and the Flash Player path Chrome is using
  5. Go to the directory path obtained in step 4
  6. What files are listed in that directory?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No their system uses FLASH FLASH FLASH!!!!  Jesus Christ, it's Jason Bourne!  I mean really?!?  Adobe.  It's been what going on 2 weeks now and no damn where near fixing my damn computer.  Cannot look at vids out of Amazon it turns out...FLASH.  Damn it!  Could you at least give me a blessed number I can call and talk to a damn human instead of passing notes back and forth which evidently don't make sense to you or else maybe you are just trolling me by now??  Would really like to get my computer un-Adobe'd and remove any exploits and be able to access content and my work system from home. 

Thanks!

P.S.  As with idiots and trolls alike, I have begun my official Adobe review and complaint process.  Whereby for every day that goes by with my system un-de-Adobefuckated, I post 10 negative comments and reviews about Adobe. 

====

Hi,

If you need to use Acrobat to sign electronic documents you'll need to install the NPAPI plugin, if you haven't done so yet.  Acrobat uses the NPAPI plugin and Chrome uses the PPAPI plugin. Two completely different things.

While there is always a chance of your system being affected by a Flash exploit, I doubt this is the case with Chrome.  If you read through the forums we have several users reporting issues with Flash Player and Chrome.  You're issue may or may not be related.  On that front, please do the following:

1. Launch Chrome
  2. navigate to chrome://plugins
  3. click the +Details link in the upper right to display plugin details (if not already selected)
  4. Look for the Flash Player entry and the Flash Player path Chrome is using
  5. Go to the directory path obtained in step 4
  6. What files are listed in that directory?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having a problem with this: Adobe Flash Player - Version: 23.0.0.166 Download Critical Security Update

Couldn't get it to update. A few minutes later, I got a java update message, so I updated Java. I went back to see the condition of my critical update mentioned above and it was gone! No more problems with flash player!

Don't know if this is just a coincidence, or a real cure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines