Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

23.0.0.162 installer crashes on Windows 7

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2016 Sep 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm trying to publish the new version over our LAN, and am following my normal procedures...

• download the exe installers and uninstaller
  • run the uninstaller silently with the -uninstall switch
  • run the installers silently with the -install switch.

I've downloaded the latest exe installers (and uninstaller).

However, the uninstaller and installers crash when I try to run them (example here is the uninstaller):

Crash.png

The text in the error:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: uninstall_flash_player.exe

Application Version: 23.0.0.162

Application Timestamp: 57c4cc94

Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.23392

Fault Module Timestamp: 56eb2fb9

Exception Code: c000008f

Exception Offset: 0000845d

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I'm running this on Windows 7 PCs (32 bit). The previous version - 22.0.0.209/210 - still works fine (no errors).

I've found that if I manually remove all Flash player files from a PC (ie %systemroot%\system32\macromed, and %appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player, and %appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player), then the first run of either installer, or the uninstaller, seems to run OK. However, subsequent attempts to run any of the files, or to view Flash in IE, all crash out with an identical AppCrash error to the one above.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm not able to reproduce the behaviour, however, have forwarded the information to the installer engineer for further investigation.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We'd like to get the crash dump files from you to investigate further. Crash dump logging is not enabled by default.  Please follow the instructions at Collecting User-Mode Dumps (Windows)  to enable crash dump logging.  For DumptType use option 2 - Full Dump.  Repeat the behaviour that results in the crash.  In the crash window, click 'View Details' to obtain the location of the files generated.  Obtain all files listed in the crash window details panel and upload them t to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document.  Post the link to the uploaded file in your reply.

Thank you.

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria

I've uploaded a dump file for your investigatory pleasure. Linky

However - I think I have found the issue. I found a laptop that wasn't experiencing the crashes and compared the list of installed items on it against the installed items on one of the failing desktops. This led me to a utility we use called DDinterceptor (D&D Interceptor). It's a small utility that pops up a confirmation message when users try to drag files in Windows (in an attempt to combat the regular rearranging of networked folders that our users enjoy so much). We've had it installed for years so it didn't spring to mind as a possible culprit.

Long story short - with DDinterceptor uninstalled the problem goes away, and the 23.0.0.162 installers / uninstaller run without issue.

Something's presumably changed in the Flash installers that's managing to trigger the confirmation message. Any chance of getting the installers changed so that the new behaviour is removed and they play nicely with the utility (ever the optimist)? In the meantime I'll script a way of disabling our utility before I run the Flash updates.

Thanks for your input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Glasgow29980493 ,

Thank you for providing the log files and the additional information on the D&D Interceptor utility.  I'm not familiar with that tool.  I will forward the log files and the D&D Interceptor tool to our installer engineer for further investigation.

We recently made some changes to the installers to address security vulnerabilities, but they were made prior to the latest release.  Since these were security-related changes they won't be rolled back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines