Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crashes while saving

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2008 Jul 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Several weeks ago I began a new robohelp 7.0 project with now more than 700 topics. The first crash happend as I tried the trick (hiding popup topics from search) described in this thread http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=449&threadid=897233. After installation of the patch 7.02.001 arose no more further crashes. For more than 5 weeks everything was fine.

Then I installed RH on my notebook. Unfortunately I forgot to install the patch and got some crashes. After the installation of the patch it became better. But since yesterday again the crashes arises. RH crashes to desktop most often while saving topics.

I've noticed that RH has "forgotten" the existence of several topics. Several "Fehlerhafte Verknüpfungen" (I don't know the english term for it) - topics with broken links in it - appear. After I re-imported them, the crashes occur more often. I tried to correct the links, but I can't save my changes. So I deleted the topics. This seemed to fix the problem, but unfortunately the problem with the crashes returned. With every crash more broken links appear.

Some facts:

Windows XP Pro SP 2, Intel Pentium 4, 3,60 GHz, 1 GB RAM
RH 7.02.001

So far I tried the following:
I tried the trick from Peter Grainge and deleted the cpd-file. That helped first, but the crashes came back later.

I hope someone could help me

MediMic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2008 Jul 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the project on your local disk rather than a network, other than under source control?

Have you tried opening one the supplied projects and doing similar work there to see if they crash?

This is a new project, do your old ones behave?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2008 Jul 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Peter Grainge
Is the project on your local disk rather than a network, other than under source control?

The project is local and I don't use source control.

quote:

Have you tried opening one the supplied projects and doing similar work there to see if they crash?

They don't crash and I've noticed that they save much faster than my project does.

quote:

This is a new project, do your old ones behave?

No problem with other / old projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so that puts it down to this project and I would have expected trashing the CPD to have worked. Clearly the problem is a bit deeper.

Going for easier solutions first, is it practical at this stage to create a new project and import the topics? Maybe a bunch at a time to see if it works for so long until you import a bunch of topics that give grief? You'll have some broken links but you can live with that during production as it will come right when all topics have been imported.

Is there anything very different about this project that you can pinpoint?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try your solution, but of course I'm really afraid that this happens again.

The only difference is that I used many popup topics (more than 100 clickable screenshots which open a little popup). Some of the popups are already renamed to name.xhtm to hide them from fulltext search.

So I will try to import these topics first. Perhaps they are the troublemakers.

thank you very much for your hints

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
short feedback:

I've tried to import all my topics in a new project and I think (and hope), that I know more about my problem now.

First project: Imported all my topics. It worked fine. After I added the baggage-files with the xhtm-files for the popup-links it got slower and crashed while opening a topic.

Second project: Imported some of my topics and the baggage files. It crashed while saving a topic.

Third project: Imported all of my topics except the baggage files. It works fine (for more than 2 hours now).

So I think, that the baggage files will probably cause the problems...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp