20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2016 9:21 AM by rob day

Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB

norbert.Bonn Level 1

Hi ervybody,

My computer: Win7, 64bit, NTFS file system. 16GB RAM. Indesign CS6.

Poster Size A0 with a lot of pictures in high quality. Because the file should be transportable to other computers the pictures are embedded.

I saved the docuemnt the one day - the other day I was not longer able to open it: Indesign claims that it can not open the file or a plugin is missing. Filesize is now 4,27 GB.

How can I get access to my file again ?

Thanks,

Norbert

• 1. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Plugin missing suggests that the file was created in a newer version of InDeisgn.

Embedding the images probably wasn't a good idea, and I wish people would stop doing it.

You can use File>Package and the file, images and fonts are packed into a single folder. Which you can then zip and transport anywhere.

You could try

Blind open and IDML-export

If that fails then see this thread

How to open a corrupt/damaged Indesign file?

• 2. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What is the EXACT error message?

4.27 GB is phenomenally huge for a .indd file and is more than likely the result of embedding the images. It's possible the file is corrupt at this point, but without the error message it is not possible to say for sure, and I suspect that what really is wrong is something else.

• 3. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There is zero reason to embed that much data into an INDD file and there are past discussions where that caused a corrupt file.

For files that need to be used on more than one machine there are far better ways to work. I suggest using Dropbox and sharing the folder.

My guess, pending the exact error message is that the file is toast.

• 4. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
                norbert.Bonn Level 1

I expect from a major program I pay for that it will tell me when the file size is getting to large.

If embedding images is no good iedea then the program has to give me a warning or just refuse to do it.

But saving the file without problem and then refusing to open it again is simple a NO GO.

Who is paying for my lost 10 hours of working time ?

I do not use drop box or any cloud service due todata security reasons. So proposing to do that is not a solution.

Working with movie files 4 GB is no problem at all. So Adobe know how to handle that in general.

The exact error message is

"Die Datei xxx.indd kann nicht geöffnet werden. Das Datenformat wird von Adobe InDesign nicht unterstützt, ein für die Unterstüztung notwendiges Zusatzmodul fehlt oder die Datei ist bereits in einer anderern Anwendung geönnfnet"

or translated

"Cannot open the file xxx.indd. The data format is not supported or a plugin needed is missing. Or the file is already opened in another application".

As the file is on my local drive no other application is using it. I did not use any plugins - so I think there is a nasty bug in InDesign.

Any comments or help ?

Thanks,

Norbert

• 5. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
                  norbert.Bonn Level 1

The exact error message is

"Die Datei xxx.indd kann nicht geöffnet werden. Das Datenformat wird von Adobe InDesign nicht unterstützt, ein für die Unterstüztung notwendiges Zusatzmodul fehlt oder die Datei ist bereits in einer anderern Anwendung geönnfnet"

or translated

"Cannot open the file xxx.indd. The data format is not supported or a plugin needed is missing. Or the file is already opened in another application".

Yes, the poster contains more than 100 pictures.

InDesign never warned or has a problem working on the file. Just as I wanted to continue the work the next day it was not able to open the file again

Thanks,

Norbert

• 6. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Comparing a video file and a page layout is ridiculous.

What you’ve done shows a lack of understanding and was a huge mistake. Nobody is paying you for lost time but I suggest learning from it and not repeating it.

I know that sounds cold but if you’re going to use professional software you should invest some time to learn best practices and more importantly the consequences of not following them.

• 7. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
                      Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That error warning suggests the file was created or saved in another version of InDesign. And you're trying to open it in an earlier version. For example, saved in InDesign CC and you're trying to open it in CS6.

You have not indicated whether you tried the suggestions I posted.

Do you have any backups of the file? Surely a file that large you'd back it up regularly?

In Windows there's a previous version option https://www.google.ie/search?q=windows+previous+version&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b -ab&gws_rd=cr&ei=qmDyV_q3PMHz-…

Can you retrieve an earlier file that you worked on  - as a test - see if that opens.

That will tell us if the file is corrupt - or if your system is causing you hassle.

Alternatively - you can post your file on a dropbox link and I'll try to open here, and I can then return you an IDML file that you can open in CS6.

• 8. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
                        Derek Cross Level 6

Reinforcing what Bob's said, InDesign is the industry standard desk-top publishing program for professionals. It has a steep learning curve and if you're to use it successfully you need to invest some time in learning how to use it, not throw your toys out of the pram because you haven't used it properly and something's gone wrong.

We can make a number of suggestions of where you can get training – personal training, videos, and books and of course you can ask particular questions on this friendly forum.

• 9. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
                          norbert.Bonn Level 1

>I know that sounds cold but if you’re going to use professional software you should invest some time to learn best practices and more importantly the consequences of not following them.

I am a professional software developer for over 30 years now.

So I expect from a professional software to work like that: That means that a feature build in in the software has to work. That is what i pay for.

So either a feature is not implemented: fine. Or it works: fine. Or it works under certain conditions: then that has to be stated in the documentation. But there is no way that a feature will cause corrupted files and lost work when I use it according to the documentation.

So your remark lacks of understanding how a professional product has to be made.

• 10. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB

That error typically pops up when trying to open a file that is not a .indd (not likely here), there is a .idlk file in the folder with the .indd (delete it), or the file is corrupt (very likely here).

Try to open the file "as a copy" or try the script at Adobe Community: InDesign 6 is crashing when attempting to open a particular document. All others are opening OK.

There is also a recovery tool you can try at INDDRecovery — a program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents , and you may get lucky and someone from Adobe will look at the file if you send it to them. See Re: My indesign keeps crashing and corrupting my files. Please help

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
                              Derek Cross Level 6

Maybe you should put in a feature request: Wishform - Adobe InDesign

• 12. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
                                norbert.Bonn Level 1

Derek, I do not think that I have to visit a training course to learn  about the bugs of a program prior to using it in production.

Best practise means to use a product more effeciently. That is ok.

And I do know that embedding pictures will lead to performance issues and big files. But for a reason I decided to accept the disadvantages in this special case.

But crashing the file is not a disadvantage but a bug and has nothing to do with best practise but with product quality and liabililty.

• 13. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
                                  norbert.Bonn Level 1

I do not nead a new feature: I only want a exiting feature to work.

I just want to know if this a bug, if there is a fix to it or not.

• 14. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, very large files in InDesign are far more prone to corruption. My guess is there is more opportunity for glitches while writing to disk, especially if you work on a network.

In general, ID is very stable, probably the most stable of all the page layout applications I've used. I can't recall the last time I actually had a file go fatally corrupt with InDesign when using linked images.

How large are those images? A quick calculation based on 100 says they are around 40 mb ea, which strikes me as far more image data than required for even museum quality printing of that many images on a sheet that size. If the effective resolution is above 350 -400 ppi you should resize in Photoshop before placing, especially if you intend to embed. In truth, for a poster designed to be viewed from a distance, 200 ppi effective resolution is probably more than adequate.

• 15. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
                                      norbert.Bonn Level 1

Thanks, Peter.

At least some options.

No .idlk file in the folder found.

The other options I will try out

• 16. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB

Anther thing that can contribute to very large files and corruption is accumulating change data that becomes pure file bloat when your editing session is closed. That data is no longer accessible to you, or the program, after the file is closed and reopened. Best practice is to do a Save As periodically to remove that change data and rewrite the file. I do this at every major design change, or at the end of each session, appending a version number suffix so I create a backup chain in case there are any problems, or a client changes direction mid-stream and I need to go back to a previous state.

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
                                          norbert.Bonn Level 1

Thanks, Peter.

I have been working with InDesign since Version 1.5 and in general I have been quite happy with it.

Yes, of course, I could have downsampled the images. But then I should have known the exact size before and put them on the poster 1:1. If Indesign does the downsampling for a much bigger file the result is better that downsampling from 140% to 100%. And I did not want to invest much time - I just needed a big poster for identifying butterflies. So it was necessary to keep the resolution as best so I can enlarge the pdf  later on the screen.

Next time I will use linked images. But unfortunatley InDesign does not support a relative path but only full paths. That means to restore all links wehn opening the document from another place

• 18. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB

Relinking is pretty simple if all the links are in one folder (as they would be if you used the Package command). If the absolute paths written into the file are not accessible, ID automatically starts looking in the current folder and and any subfolders, so having the links in the same path as the .indd is all you need, or you can use the Relink to Folder command to find a different location.

Excess image size does you no good at all.

• 19. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
                                              norbert.Bonn Level 1

>Excess image size does you no good at all.

Best is 100% image size. But otherwise it is better to have 200% as source for downsampling by InDesing instead of 110%. In the end you cannot divide pixels

• 20. Re: Indesign CS6 refuse to open document > 4,25 GB
                                                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You mentioned your 16gb of memory, but you also have to consider available startup disk space. 16gb seems a bit short for a 5gb file. You could have a difficult time with a 5gb file in Photoshop and you certainly would be going to the scratch disk(s).

InDesign does not allow you to assign scratch disks but will use the startup disk when memory is short