Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player installation fail on iMac - tried everything

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2016 Sep 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

normally I can instal Flash Player updates without problems. But for the latest update (23.0.0.162), I've been trying for days without success. It starts installing Flash Player but stops half way through and throws up a message saying 'Adobe Flash Player: Installation failed. Click 'Finish' for further assistance'.

The 'further assistance' offer nothing that works, just various wild goose chases, and there is no access to any human support other than this forum.

I've tried this multiple times with the same result. Have also download there 'Uninstall' app, but nothing works. I am using 2015 iMac OSX version 10.11.16.

Any help much appreciated - thanks all!  Colin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi n00bby,

I'd like to get the install log files from you to investigate further.  Please review the FAQ Where do I find the Flash Player installation log on the Macintosh? and provide all 4 files (install.log, FlashPlayerInstallManager.log, Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log) files.  Please read through the FAQ and configure your system to obtain all files for the same installation attempt before attempting to run the installer again.  After gathering all files, upload them to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document and post the link to the uploaded files in your reply.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Maria,

thank you but I'm afraid I found your response unintelligible. I am a lay user, not an IT department.

Please could you let me know if it's possible to talk this though with someone, even if I have to pay? If not, please could you message again with instructions that a reasonably experienced lay person has a hope of being able to follow?

Thanks!

n00bby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi n00bby,

The FAQ Where do I find the Flash Player installation log on the Macintosh? , contain a video.  Please view the video if you haven't done so yet.

If that's too difficult, you can try the offline installer posted at the bottom of the Where do I find the Flash Player installation log on the Macintosh? page in the 'Still having problems' section.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Maria,

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

I have been able to upload only one of the logs you requested (InstalManager Log...please follow the link above. 

With regard to the other logs, I followed every step of the video (Applications, then into Utilities, then into /var/log, then scroll to Install.log, then scroll to end of the text therein and add some markers, then run the FlashPlayer install in the usual way. As before it failed half way through. Then when I went back in Install.log  to look for text after my markers, there was NO text. I have uploaded a screen grab so that you can see that.

Is there anyone I can discuss this with in real time?

Colin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. I'm so sick of trying to get Flash back on my laptop. I've tried for at least the five or six days. I can't find a phone number on the Adobe website to resolve this. I would really like some help. I'm not a tech person but I'm also not a dummy. Please Adobe, help me. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2016 Sep 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still no nearer being able to download their update despite completing a series of pointless exercises that made no difference.

On the plus side I am beginning to enjoy life without Flashplayer and maybe, given Adobe's commitment to only switching on their customer service 'bots once every 24 hours, life without all their products. To stream video I now use Chrome as my browser which means I can stream vids without having Flashplayer separately installed.  "Flash - ah ah - You're the screw up of the universe"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@n00bby

Thank you for providing the log file.  It was very helpful.  The online installer is failing due to a known bug with the online installer that we have been investigating a fix for.  Until the bug is fixed, please use the offline installer at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Mac page in the 'Still having problems' section.

Also, we are not 'bots'.  These forums are mainly user-to-user forums and staff participate when they can, in-between their normal workload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2016 Oct 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Maria,

thanks for the workaround, and apologies for the 'bot comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@maryr3749997

What operating system, including version is this on?  If it's Mac, see my first post above and provide the install log files, or try using the standalone installer (link in post #3).  If it's Windows, please start a new topic. and provide the following information:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same trouble with a late 2012 27" iMac running Mac OS X 10.10.5 (14F1912).  I've downloaded the Flash installation file five times and each time the installation has failed to complete.  The only way to quit it is to force quit.

So, by Einstein's reckoning, I'm insane:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Please relieve me of my insanity :-))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@halcyonjohn13690447

Please see my replies above to the OP and provide the requested install log files, or try using the offline installer (link posted above).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I successfully used the offline installer, then decided to give you the install logs you asked for.  So, knowing that the other installer wouldn't work, I booted it again and recorded the log data.  Here's the link:

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log files (both are from the online installer) are from a July 15, 2016 installation attempt, so it's not from the latest attempt, unless the date/time on you computer is wrong (which I would presume is doubtful).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those two logs contain nothing else, and they are dated July 15, 2016, as you have noted.  My iMac date is set automatically to my region (I'm in Australia).  It's October 1 here, as confirmed in the FlashPlayerInstallManager.log. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2016 Oct 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@halcyonjohn13690447 ,

thanks for the added info.  If Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log don't contain any recent info it suggests July was the last time you attempted to use the online installer as these log files are for the online installer.  FlashPlayerInstallManager.log is for Flash Player itself, and install.log is a system file that is written to whenever there are program installations/uninstallations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess that's quite possible even though I'm fairly diligent about updates.  I had the Flash installer preference set to install automatically, but I realised recently that it didn't seem to be working.  So I reverted to 'Notify me …'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to reinstall adobe flash player.. in the first place why does adobe make me reinstall it at all ????

then it shows me a place to put my password and the space where i typed the password shakes and it means it is not the correct password.. so then i go to change my password and it still shakes when i put in the new password

i am beginning to hate Adobe Flash Player.. why do i have to keep reinstalling it??????????????

and why does it not work when i try to do that?????????

and why are there no humans who can help??????

i am using safari 10.0   on a mac

if there is any human out there who can help that will be great

i am at <moderator note: deleted PII>

thanks

susan evans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Susan

I'm one of those, like you, who experienced the difficulty installing Adobe Flash.  My answers to your questions are not 'official', but I hope they help:

1.  Like most software, Flash is subject to ongoing attack.  Updates a essential to maintain the security of your Mac.

2.  You can set the Flash Installer preferences to install flash automatically, BUT it won't complete the installation if you require an Admin Password to permit changes to your system and applications [as you should :-)) ]. 

3.  Adobe may have fixed the bug(s) that prevented the 'online' installer from functioning properly, but in any case there is an offline version that you can download.  It definitely works.  Go to Installation problems | Flash Player | Mac , scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on 'Flash Player for Safari and Firefox - NPAPI'.  That will download the full installation file.  Double click on it and proceed as usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sevan19

Flash Player updates are released monthly and include new features, bug fixes, and security fixes.

It is the operating system, not Flash Player, that is prompting for the password.  Please see the FAQ What userid & password do I need to install Flash Player? for assistance.

Flash Player is free software. Adobe, and many other companies do not offer tech support for free products.  Staff participate in these forums regularly (Mon - Fri during normal business hours), when they can, in between their normal workload.  On occasion some staff participate on weekends, but it's not common.

What browser are you attempting to install Flash Player for?  What happens when you run the installer?  Is there an error?  If so, post a screenshot.  If you need assistance with taking/posting a screenshot, see How to I attach a screenshot FAQ.

If you opt into background updates (update option = Allow Adobe to install updates) then updates occur silently in the background with no user interaction within 24 hours of a Flash Player release.  This is the recommended update option as it's the least intrusive to the end user.

HTH.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines