• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to install updated Flash player on Vista. [was: Double clicking downloaded update doesn't work?]

Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vista, Firefox

So I realized my flash player on Firefox was outdated so I downloaded the update through the adobe website, and it downloaded directly to my desktop (as per my settings on Firefox). When I went to double click the exe file it didn't execute. For a split second my cursor gave the waiting/loading signal and then stopped. I checked task manager to confirm it wasn't loading. I then looked at some forums, and deleted all previous flash files from Firefox (shockwave, adobe flash, etc...) and re downloaded each of the files directly from adobe. They all give me the same error (no message, just don't open after double clicking. I updated Vista to no avail. I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox to no avail, I disabled all add-ons and extensions in Firefox to no avail. I have tried to open exe file while Firefox is both running and not running. I have restarted after each of these attempts, and have also done each attempt without restarting. Vista is up to date, Firefox is latest version, and I have no idea why double clicking the exe adobe install file will no result in the file actually opening. I have right clicked/ open right click/ run as admin, and I'm at a a complete loss.

Please help,

-Sukaji

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 17, 2016 Apr 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might need to use the current offline installers.

Make sure that Firefox is NOT running, and make sure anything Flash or plugin-container is not running either in task manager; those are some additional things that could bork up the install.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page until you see the 'still having problems' like the blown screenshot !

Download and install, hopefully it will be that simple for you

There is additional information regarding this here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is most likely due to a certificate signing issue. The online installer uses SHA256 certificate, wich may not be compatible with some Vista systems.  Refer to this Microsoft support article,https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2763674, for assistance on upgrading your system.

You can try using the offline installer that CS links to, but there is no guarantee those will work.

The certificate signing issue does not just impact the Flash Player online installer.  You can experience the same behaviour when attempting to run any file that was signed with SHA256 and the solution is to update your system, as recommended in the Microsoft support article.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. The link above is confusing. To download the file from MS there are only 2 options - x64 or x86. What is x86? Mine is 32-bit and there is no link for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

x64 is the 64-bit file.  Since you're system is 32-bit,  you'll want the x86 file.  I realize it's confusing.  If you're interested see this and this​, among many, many others on this topic.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thanks so much Maria, I'll try it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2016 Oct 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to get Firefox recently, due to my Vista messing up (old OS), and I needed to reinstall a lot of programs, including Adobe Flash, but when I downloaded it, the RUN function wasn't shown on the screen.  It was as though the computer had proof that I downloaded the file (Flash23_ha), but it didn't recognize the order to run it.

Because of this, a lot of videos on Facebook and twitters are pretty much black screens.

I tried to use outside devices (Facebook Flash video player, for instance), but I mainly need the official program.  How does this work?  Please help.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean by "but it didn't recognize the order to run it."  Does the installer not launch when you double-click it?  If not, then it's most likely that your version of Vista doesn't support sha256 digital certificates.  Solving this issue has been addressed in this topic.  Please read through it, especially my first comment (post #2).

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried both versions, just to be on the safe side.  Both times, I got the message that my system didn't need this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming the installer isn't launching, since you didn't reply to my questions and clarify the behaviour you're experiencing.

If you do indeed have the latest KB installed, your system should support sha256 digital signatures and the installer should launch, but it's not clear what exactly is happening and it could be something else with the system.

You can try using the offline installer, posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows 7 and earlier page in the 'Still having problems' section.  However, there is no guarantee this'll work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry.  Nothing worked.

Every time I tried to download it, the same thing happened:  in the three-step process that appears on the screen, step two has a striped bar (it's supposed to be solid blue), then...nothing.  It's as though Adobe Flash doesn't want to install on my system.  Such a notion is preposterous, but that's what I am seeing.

I have no clue what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2016 Oct 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots of the behaviour being observed would be very helpful.

When you say "in the three-step process that appears on the screen, step two has a striped bar (it's supposed to be solid blue), then...nothing."  Are you referring to the web site, or the installation process itself?  Again, screenshots are very helpful.

Also, do you have any Service Pack installed on your Vista system?  If so, which one?

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2016 Oct 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was busy most of the day.  I tried getting the service packs, and they couldn't work, either (all versions that can be used for Vista)

I'll try to make a screen grab of the Adobe download as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on your post, I'm assuming your system doesn't have a Service Pack installed,yes?

According to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2763674, the update is for Windows Vista SP2.  If you don't have SP2 installed it would explain why the update states it's available for your system.  Essentially, the system needs to support sha256 in order to install Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Adobe Installer in downloads, right click and go to Properties, go down to Security and click on Unblock. All being well, it should work then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Go to Adobe Installer in downloads, right click and go to Properties, go down to Security and click on Unblock. All being well, it should work then"

The 'Unblock' is NOT under Security...it is under the General tab in the lower half.

I found it and clicked it and it began the install process. Everything else in this thread is UNNECESSARY!

Once you download the Flash Installer exe file to your Downloads Folder, your instructions, with my correction, makes the installer work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines