Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deskew with OCR better than deskew when optimizing

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

I've found that the deskew performed with Optimize is inferior to the deskew when you OCR the scanned document.

Is there a way to invoke the deskew performed by OCR instead of the deskew in Optimize?  I've got some tabular timesheets, with no recognizable text.  OCRing them and saving the images and then reassembling the individual pages into a PDF is not a great solution.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-- Roy Zider

Adobe Acrobat 9 and 10

Windows XP SP3

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows in Acrobat X, you can configure a preset (File > Create PDF from Scanner > Configure Presets) that invokes Deskewing but not OCR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LoriAUC:

Yes, that's what I've done.  The deskew result is different than with OCR. That is the point of this post -- you appear to need to do OCR to get a proper deskew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't sure what method you were invoking the Deskew -- you can do this via the Custom Scan (or preset) or under the Tools > Document Processing > Optimize Scanned PDF. Which method are you using? It helps to understand the exact steps you're using to possibly replicate the situation. Are you scanning into Acrobat or starting with an image file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He is starting with an image. He does not need to scan an image. The optimize pdf -> deskew results in a poor quality image. The option he is speaking of is found under the OCR options. When you OCR a document it deskews it and the original image quality is not lost. I don't know why this is. I came here looking for answers to the same question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KnightD:

Precisely.

-- Roy Zider

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, if you're starting by opening an image (TIFF), the image goes through some processing when you open the file in Acrobat. The type of processing is determined by the settings under Edit > Preferences > Convert to PDF > TIFF. Depending on what you have set here, your file may be optimized upon opening, which obviously can affect what happens when you run the Optimize Scanned PDF command. I noticed a significant difference when I selected Deskew in the preferences versus running the Optimize Scanned PDF command. Do you notice this as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm unclear on where you have selected deskew from the preferences. The images I'm working with are scanned Jpegs with a PDF wrapper, created by my scanner. The optimize Scanned PDF command produces poor results, yes. This is the only deskew I have found asside from what happens when you OCR the scanned image. I want to be able to use acrobat to deskew *without* OCR and have as good an image returned as I get from the OCR deskew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few different ways you can invoke deskewing in Acrobat X.

1. File > Create > PDF from scanner > Custom Scan in the Document Setting section under the Options... button
  2. File > Create > PDF from scanner  > Configure Presets in the Document Setting section under the Options... button
  3. When you open a TIFF file directly in Acrobat X, you can set Edit > Preferences > Convert to PDF > TIFF > Edit Settings .. and then click the Setting button at the top of this dialog.
  4. When you run the Recognize Text command.
  5. When you run the Optimize Scanned PDF command.

If you haven't already, you might try a different workflow to see if you get better results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LoriAUC:

That is a very helpful listing indeed.  The obvious reply to that is, "would it be too much trouble for you to link each of these entry points to the engine it is activating?"  In that way we can understand why the deskew under OCR is better than the others we have tried.  Perhaps one of these four other methods also leads to the same deskew engine used by OCR.

Just to be clear: my question is: how does the user invoke the deskew engine used in OCR without OCRing the document?  (edit added 6/30/2012)

-- Roy

Message was edited by: FUBARinSFO to reinforce the original question, which remains unanswered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2012 Dec 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need the same question answered, Thats what I came here looking for. The 5 options above doesn't answer my question unless those are the only options. I need the quality to stay the same as originals and dont need to OCR.  Does pro XI have a standalone deskew option for pdf files that are emailed to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat XI, when you run the Optimize Scanned PDF command you'll need to make sure the slider in the Optimizations Options section in set to High Quality and then at the bottom uncheck OCR.

deskew.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information LoriAUC. However, this does not work for me.  It does not deskew the document.

We have been having issues with Adobe XI and the deskew portion.  In version 10 we could go in to Tools > Optimize Scanned PDF > make the needed changes to the Filters, Edit the OCR PDF output Style to "Searchable Image" and then run the optimization.  This would apply the filters and deskew the document both in the same step.  However, since version XI when we do the same thing, with the same files it will apply the filters but it will not deskew them (we have tried multiple files and multiple systems to rule out file issues and install issues).   The only way that we can get it to deskew it is to set the OCR PDF output to "Clearscan".  This would be fine except for the fact that the the clearscan setting does not apply the filters.  So...the only way we can get this to do what we need is to run the optimization once with the OCR PDF set to "Searchable Image" to apply the filters and then run it again with the OCR PDF output set to "clearscan" to deskew the document.  This is not a big deal with a single page document but becomes a larger time issue when dealing with large, multipage documents.  It appears that this is a "bug" in version XI.  Any suggestions on how to accomplish in version XI what we used to be able to do easily in Version X. 

Additional information: We are running Adobe 11.0.01 on Windows 7 64 bit OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are working on this issue. And hopefully, in the next dot release we might provide a fix for this issue.

For the time being, please use Acrobat 11 as this issue does not exists in Acrobat 11.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2013 Mar 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry didn't lvldcty

just say he was having problems with 11!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am using Acrobat 11 Pro and I can assure you that deskewing ONLY works when a document is OCR'd.

When I try "optimize document" following the steps described in this thread, the scanned PDF is not descewed.

For you information, I am using Acrobat 11 Pro for the Mac mainly with Japanese PDF scanned documents.

Is this bug actively being pursued, or must I pester Adobe Japan who will only forward on the rest to your head office?

Looking forward to some guidance and help.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Earlier posts by Adobe indicated this was fixed in v11. Evidently it is

still a problem, a major annoyance after all these years.

-- Roy Zider

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So reading this whole thread, it look like Adobe hasn't really addressed the problem

The best work-around I've found with Acrobat 10:

OCR the scanned PDF - save

Optimize the file, with quality set to high - save

If you want to get rid of the OCR text, "Sanitize" the file (in Acrobat X this is under Protection). - save

Optimize the file again - save.

With this I get the deskew from OCR, no text if I don't want text, small file size, and little to no loss in quality.

A real PITA, but it seems to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2016 Oct 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We apologize for the issue you are facing.

Can you please share a sample document where you are facing this issue to help us resolve the issue ASAP.

You can use https://cloud.acrobat.com/send​ to sahre the document.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2016 Oct 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I can't - the documents that I generally encounter the situation in are confidential business documents and I don't have time to go looking for an innocuous document with the same properties. Maybe someone else can furnish a sample.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can do 1 thing in this case, you can redact confidential information part, so that no one can read that data.

- Open file and go to tools> Redact> Mark for Redaction> Text & Image>

- Select important information and Apply and save the document

Now no one can use this information anymore.

Otherwise please share the non-confidential document if you find in future.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines