Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to embed ArialMT and TimesNewRomanPSMT fonts in a PDF file

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2016 Oct 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I need to embed in a  PDF file created in the past (on a WinXP PC)  the following fonts 

- ArialMT

- Arial-BoldItalicMT

- Times-Roman

- TimesNewRomanPSMT

- TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT

I tried the Acrobat DC Pro Preflight "Embed Fonts" function using default sw configurations with no avail.

Can someone suggest how to obtain that Acrobat DC Pro embeds these fonts in the PDF file?

Are other softwares available to obtain this result?

Many thanks,

Armando

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

From the tests made with Dov’s help it emerged that the PDF files on which I need to embed missing fonts have a complexity (due to creation as a collection of PDF files generated on different PCs under different conditions) that exceeds current ability of the Adobe Professional’s Preflight module to fix the embedded fonts profile.

Adobe is planning to make available in a future update of Acrobat DC a fix of the Preflight "Embed Fonts" function that will ensure successful embedding of fonts also i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is usually no need to embed these fonts because they are part of the "Base 14" fonts that are required to be available in every PDF viewer or processor. The only thing that this does is make your files bigger, they will not display or print any better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karl, thank you for your prompt reply.

The reason to embed those fonts stems from the need to comply with FDA requirements for PDF files part of eCTD submissions.

They specify that e.g. "Arial" can be used in the PDF.  However if , as an example, “ArialMT” is listed in the PDF,  this font would be considered a variation of “Arial” and therefore it is required that it be embedded.

For this reason I need a way to include "ArialMT" in the file.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Armando

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preflight's "Embed missing fonts" should embed these fonts too (I just checked with my copy of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, and it successfully embedded both ArialMT (as Arial) and TimesNewRomanPSMT (as TimesNewRoman). Are you creating the documents and trying to embed the fonts on the same system (which would make sure that all fonts available during the creation process are also available during the embedding process)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree that regardless of rules for eCTD submissions, it is always best to embed fonts, especially since there are so many variations of supposedly standard fonts such as Arial and Times New Roman.

I will confirm what Karl Heinz Kremer has reported. Acrobat DC Preflight will definitely embed Arial and Times New Roman fonts, assuming you have them installed on your system.

As the person at Adobe responsible for the Preflight facility, I would be most interested in your making available a sample PDF file for which Preflight is not able to successfully embed these fonts. If you can post such a file and a link here, great. Otherwise, send me a personal message via the forums and I will provide you with a mechanism to get the file(s) to me.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karl, Dov,

thank you very much for your help.

In effect the files in which I need to embed the listed fonts were created on WinXP PCs and I am now executing Acrobat DC Preflight to
embed the missing fonts on a different, Win7 based, PC.

Before turning to Dov's very kind availability to test the Preflight function on some sample files on which the "Embed Fonts" function fails, is there something I can try to tune the Acrobat/Preflight configuration (e.g. install specific font files on the Win7 PC) to improve font embedding Preflight ability?

Many thanks,

Armando

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly you may need to purchase and install the fonts. Each one is different and no substitution will be made for similar names. Times-Roman may be the most difficult to obtain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both fonts should be already installed on your Windows 7 system. You can check for that by bringing up the fonts view in Windows. To do that, open up the Control Panel, select "Appearance and Personalization", and then select "Preview, delete, or show and hide fonts". Or, just type "fonts" into he search field in the start menu.

Now you can type e.g. "Times New Roman" into the search field at the top of the dialog. You should be able to find both the Times New Roman and Arial font families.

If you cannot find them, you need to repair or re-install your Windows system. Both fonts are part of the Windows distribution.

BTW: When you look at the fonts information within the document information dialog, you should see something like this for a document that uses both Times New Roman and Arial:

2016-10-10_11-42-47.png

You can see that every font has two names: Times New Roman and Arial are the font names referenced in the PDF file, and the "Actual Font" information refers to which font is used in this instance. Because these fonts are not embedded, the system is showing you which font it actually uses, and in this case, it's the TimesNewRomanPSMT and ArialMT, which are the "PostScript names" of these fonts. See here for a bit more information: Times New Roman in Word documents changes to TimesNewRomanPSMT in PDF documents (Create PDF)

This still does not explain why you cannot embed these fonts, and without access to an actual file that shows this problem, it's impossible to say what the reason is. What I would try is to create a simple file in e.g. MS Word that uses both Arial and Times New Roman, and save it as a PDF file, and then try to embed the fonts using Acrobat's Preflight fixup. If that works, then there is something wrong/different with your old WinXP generated files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good points, though the original message mentioned 5 fonts. However, it does occur to me that the original poster might be listing both the fonts named in the PDF (next to the little icons) AND the actual fonts used to display. What must be embedded is the FIRST font. Ignore the second font (actual font) since once you embed that will be irrelevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have scrolled up to the original question Thanks for the correction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for your follow up and for the clarifications about presentation of font names.

Please let me add the following information:

In the PDF file in which I need to embed the fonts, the “TM” font variants are explicitly
listed as not embedded:

(the file is a collection of different PDF files)

Details:

On the Win7 PC running  Acrobat DC Pro , “TM” font variants are present. I can see them listed in the Acrobat Distiller settings
as part of the Adobe PDF Settings details.

However, after executing the “Preflight > Correct PDF > Embed missing Fonts” function the “TM” fonts variants and are still listed as not embedded:

It is to be considered that I would need that the listed “TM” font variants are embedded in the PDF file, possibly as full font, not as Subset.

Many thanks,

Armando

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing to be aware of is that the information on fonts is not complete until the font has been displayed. So for example if you look at page 1, and a font is used on page 2, there will be no "actual font" yet. It may also be that the "embedded subset" thing doesn't show until used.

You can double check this by looking to see if there is an "actual font" shown for these cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have compared the Font attributes presented in the Fonts table part of the Document Properties shown when the file is just opened and Page 1 is shown on the screen

with the Font attributes presented after the file has been scrolled page by page from first to last and back to first (file is about 650 pages long) , then  opened on a middle page in which I knew Times New RomanTM fonts were used

but could not find any difference in actual presentation of information concerning  Font Embedding or related Actual Font.

Armando

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok,it was worth checking. So, have you sourced and installed all these fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "TM" fonts are listed as existing in the Fonts section of the Adobe PDF Settings but are not explicitly listed when the Windows(7) fonts set is inspected at location  C:\Windows\Fonts\.

I am executing some further tests. I'll report the outomes.

Thanks, Armando

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These "MT" names are the font's PostScript names. When you look at the link that I posted earlier, you'll see that a font has many different names, and usually the user does not even see the PostScript name. You need special tools to dig into a font to see these different names. The fact that you actually see the PostScript name being displayed as the font's name in the fonts information dialog, could be the reason why you cannot embed these fonts. You may want to take Dov up on his offer to take a look at your files. I understand that oftentimes the files people are having problems with are confidential and cannot be shared publicly. Dov is working for Adobe and used to working with confidential customer files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean MT I think not TM. MT is a code meaning a font owned by Monotype.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize for the typo.  The "TM" I wrote in my last message should be read "MT" as a reference to the list of fonts that I have documented in my previous messages.

I will definitely accept Dov's offer to take a look at the files in which the "MT" fonts are listed and help tune the preflight process to obtain that those fonts are embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the tests made with Dov’s help it emerged that the PDF files on which I need to embed missing fonts have a complexity (due to creation as a collection of PDF files generated on different PCs under different conditions) that exceeds current ability of the Adobe Professional’s Preflight module to fix the embedded fonts profile.

Adobe is planning to make available in a future update of Acrobat DC a fix of the Preflight "Embed Fonts" function that will ensure successful embedding of fonts also in this type of files.

In order to obtain the embedding of the missing fonts in my files, I am currently moving to use one of the plug-ins for Acrobat that include this feature and for which I have found good references in other posts:  Callas pdfToolbox  and Enfocus Pitstop Pro.

Thank you to all who contributed their comments and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I'm having a very similar problem (a long file that MUST be uploaded with ALL fonts embedded) with the exception that mine is likely not as complex as Armando's. I have used the MS Word "export to PDF" option, and tried an online PDF converter as well, but the problem is the same: "ArialMT" and "TimesNewRomanPSMT" don't embed. The difference is that I do not use these fonts in my document. I don't know why they appear in the list. I've made sure the option to embed default system fonts is enabled, but it didn't help. What can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines