• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sierra Magic Mouse Scrolling / Zoom Issue

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I installed Sierra, my Magic Mouse starting to act crazy in After Effects (CC 2015.3) and wasn't able to scroll or zoom in effectively. It jumps from 50% to 1600% with a very subtle movement and it is impossible to live and work with. Someone please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Apple released macOS 10.12.1 this week. It appears to fix the problems with sensitivity of scrolling with an Apple touch device.

I have just installed the update and tested scrolling to zoom in the Composition, Layer, and Footage panels with an Apple Magic Mouse, and the behavior now appears to be the same as on 10.11.6.

Also, as I mentioned above we investigated disabling scrolling inertia when zooming in the viewer panels in After Effects, and I'm happy to say that in the next version of After E

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should know this Os is not supported yet and Ae currently has bugs a plenty with it. this could be your problem. more about problems with Os 10.12 here:

Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird

you could submit a bug report here: http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I did as Roei Tzoref suggested and submitted both a bug report and a feature request (asking for a "zoom lock" of some kind). I'm seriously considering getting a different mouse to use only with After Effects - this is VERY annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a good rule of thumb: If you can't ace the placement exam for IT Guy,  or you haven't been troubleshooting Adobe products for the past decade, you're just rolling the dice by being on the Bleeding Edge with Adobe products.

And they're loaded dice.  And they don't roll in your favor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truth. I've done this to myself probably five times in the past ten years... I see "Upgrade Available" and get all starry-eyed dreaming of whatever shiny new feature the updated OS offers and can't push the "gimme" button fast enough. When it comes to software upgrades and pizza I have a definite weakness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I do. About once a week, on my main system for business, I clone the boot drive, just for safety. It takes about 15 minutes to slip out a corrupted drive slip in the clone if something goes wrong. It's way faster than restoring a system from a backup. The clones are made on the same drive automatically every Sunday night.

For my laptop (Mac ProR) I also clone the boot drive just before I run any update --- ANY update, using a SSD external drive. It takes about 5 or 6 minutes to clone using Thunderbolt. Now if there's a problem with the Mac Pro I just boot to the SSD and "restore" the main drive or just run from the SSD so I can do some trouble shooting and file some bug reports. Total lost time in the last 10 years due to an OS or software update is probably less than a couple of days. Total number of times I've used my "backup clones," probably a little more than once a year. Total lost income due to software updates, drive failures, other catastrophes in the last 10 years, maybe about $200. Total dinners missed with my family or sleepless night, zero. I can handle that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try finding a (discontinued but still available from Staples) apple WIRED MOUSE with annoying tiny scroll ball. but it helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2016 Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent some time today examining how zooming works in the Composition panel in After Effects on macOS, when using Apple's Magic Mouse, Apple touchpads, and other input devices, in order to understand what is happening on macOS 10.12.

In the Composition panel, when using a scroll input (either a physical scroll wheel/ball or a gesture), the input is mapped 1:1 from the scroll device to the zoom control in the lower-left corner of the panel. For example, rotating a scroll wheel one "click" results in one "stop" of zoom. (i.e., 100% to 200%, or 800% to 1600%.)

Apple's touch-based devices are very sensitive, and support gestures that can input multiple scroll commands at once (i.e., "scroll 10 units" instead of "scroll 1 unit, then scroll 1 again, then scroll 1 again..."). Swiping to scroll, for example, will input scroll commands based on the speed and length of the swipe, and it slows as it comes to a stop. This appears to give momentum to your gesture in long lists, such as a Finder window with hundreds of files. Swiping to scroll left or right in the Timeline panel in After Effects also responds like this.

On macOS 10.11 and earlier, if you move your finger slowly on an Apple touch devices while zooming in the Composition panel, you get the predictable 1:1 scroll behavior; moving your finger a certain distance equates to one stop of zoom. Swipe gestures, however, are simply interpreted as "a lot of scroll commands". Since the Apple touch devices are sensitive, it's easy to move your finger too quickly and end up with the Composition view zoomed all the way in or all the way out.

On macOS 10.12, Apple appears to have modified the commands sent by scroll gestures. It's difficult for me to characterize, you have to feel it for yourself, but the difference appears to be in how the speed of finger movements is interpreted. During slow scroll gestures, I observed that zooming in the Composition panel was inconsistent; sometimes it would scroll one stop, sometimes it would scroll multiple stops. It is difficult to control my finger accurately enough to keep the scroll rate consistent, like it is on macOS 10.11. Swipe gestures in the Composition panel were mostly unchanged on macOS 10.12, but they did seem to be interpreted more smoothly and  less likely to scroll all the way to the extreme ends of the zoom range.

I've talked with one of our developers about this. We'll need to spend some time digging into how macOS is sending these scroll signals from the Apple touch devices, and how best to adapt the Composition panel zoom to work with this. Our apologies for the disruption, and thanks for your patience while we investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug seems to manifest itself in other applications as well.
Here is a topic on the apple discussions board about the very same issue:
Mouse scroll speed in Sierra | Communities

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2016 Sep 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just discovered that you can control, at the OS level, the sensitivity of scrolling speed and whether or not scrolling inertia is enabled. This can be done on either macOS 10.12 or 10.11. (I assume earlier OS versions as well, but I don't have them handy.) This can help with the sensitivity of scrolling to zoom in the Composition, Layer, or Footage panels in After Effects.

In System Preferences, click on Accessibility, then choose Mouse & Trackpad on the left side, and then click Mouse Options (or Trackpad Options, if you are using an Apple trackpad).

Here you can control the scrolling speed and whether or not scrolling inertia is used. This will apply to all applications, but it specifically does help with scrolling to zoom the viewer panels in After Effects.

Scrolling without inertia, specifically, removes the twitchiness that can occur when you lightly or accidentally stroke your finger across the touch surface.

The scrolling speed also has an effect, although on macOS 10.12 I find the effect far less pronounced than on 10.11. Even when on the lowest setting, 10.12 still feels to me more sensitive to the distance required to scroll one "unit".

For a future update to After Effects, we are investigating whether or not we can disable scrolling with inertia for only the viewer panels, so you can use inertia in all other contexts.

I hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2016 Oct 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try that already, no effect. May be a little bit, but it scrolls really very odd, can't work properly now 😠

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been talking to both Apple and Adobe support on twitter as I am getting a lot of mouse problems on all cc software with the new os. I have been getting hover scrolling along with the pan zoom issue. If you hold the curssor over any input feild, for example type size, touch the Magic Mouse it will change its value.  Not by a little, but by a lot (12pt to 150pt). Am 100% sure it didn't do this on the previous os. My colleague hasn't updated and he can't scroll to change an input value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried adjusting inertia in the accessibility panel for the mouse. I did not help in Illustrator at all. resorted to plugging in an old PC USB mouse to get my work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2016 Oct 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea when a new update will be released? Because this mouse and touchpad things driving me crazy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 09, 2016 Oct 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the most basic of workarounds... I bought a second mouse (Amazon Basics, about ten bucks) to use with AE to get away from the zoomy-zoom issue. I was surprised at how quickly I adjusted to the new mouse after spending eight or ten hours a day for the last six years working with a Magic Mouse. The pain was very negligible. I actually wish I'd done this several years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fix it soon please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance this is going to get fixed soon? I basically have to learn a new way of using zoom in illustrator now after 7 years. It slows me down a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can fix it yourself.  Here are two ways:

1) Don't use Sierra, which is NOT approved yet for Adobe products.

2) Get a USB mouse.

Now, if you persist in using Sierra, you will doubtlessly discover an entire array of OS-application incompatibilities.

The bottom line: one should change operating systems with great caution, research and forethought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called Adobe before upgrading to Sierra and they told me Adobe products where compatible with the new macOS. So it's a thing that they didn't test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2016 Oct 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called Adobe before upgrading to Sierra and they told me Adobe products where compatible with the new macOS.

interesting. this Os is not listed in the system requirements page, and I haven't found any official report that Sierra is fully supported. though it is obscure there is no official statement.

List of compatibility issues with Adobe Creative Cloud products running on macOS 10.12 (Sierra)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed - very frustrating after using the product for over 15 years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add this:  once things have been working well for a while...

CLONE THAT SYSTEM DRIVE (Mac)!

MAKE A DISC IMAGE OF THE C DRIVE (Win)!

It's nice to have a Plan B you can count on when updating goes south.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2016 Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A temporary fix that leaves you without mouse scroll is to turn off scrolling completely:

System prefs > Accessibility > Mouse Options > un-click scrolling

You can try to just do scrolling "without inertia" and at the slowest scrolling speed, for me it was a tiny bit better, but I was still going mad with every minor movement screwing something up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines