• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link to PDF in a Linked Word document

Contributor ,
Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Word file in this directory: s:\dir1\dir2\dir3\dir4\[name_of_DOC].docx). In that Word document, I created a link to a PDF that is stored in the same folder: s:\dir1\dir2\dir3\dir4\[name_of_PDF].PDF) With the Word document open, I can click the link in the Word doc and the PDF will open. Works perfect! The problem is when I generate Responsive HTML. The following is the HTML code that I see when I click the link to the PDF: file:////dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4/[name_of_PDF].pdf What do I need to do in order to have the PDF open? The PDF needs to reside in the s:\dir1\dir2\dir3\dir4 folder.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sounds to me as if you are just importing from Word and expecting to be done with it. My guess is that you will likely find you need to edit that link once the Word has been imported into RoboHelp and it's now an HTML page.

Now if perhaps I've misunderstood and you are having the user open the Word document using Word, I would have to say that at that point RoboHelp exits the picture and it's totally a "Word" thing. In which case you likely need the expertise of someone linking to things from Word.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ultimately, I need to figure out what I need to have in the Word doc so that when RH converts it to HTML, I can still open the PDF file.

I’m using the Word File option in the Link section on the Project tab to link to the Word doc on the network drive – what you say makes sense because RH is using the path to the network to import the Word when I click Update.

I’m working with a single Word doc and a single link to a PDF within it now. This is only the beginning - I could – hypothetically – have 16 different Word docs linking to 16 different PDFs.

Monkeying around with the HTML pages that RH creates is not a solution I want to accept – I need this to be automatic.

I’m looking at the solutions here - http://superuser.com/questions/716457/how-do-i-embed-html-in-a-word-document - at the moment. Don’t know if any of them will pan out.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I've not tried creating links inside a Word document, but I might imagine they are similar to what you do in RoboHelp. I would think the link would be as simple as just linking to the file name of the PDF with no path information prefixing it. Have you tried that?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, I tried that. I was actually surprised that there was an issue because the field code for the link shows no path – just the name of the PDF file.

My testing shows me that the hiccup comes when RH generates the HTML files for the Word doc that is on the network drive. I’ll keep looking for a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp