Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images Missing from a Project

Participant ,
Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp 2015.

I have a number (about 2 dozen) of screen images that show in project manager with a red X. When I look in Windows Explorer, the images don't appear at all. Is there some way to retrieve the files or must I re-create them.

In Sept, I create pdfs of this project and the images appeared fine. Now they seem to be gone.

Thanks,

MDawn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think if they're not in Windows Explorer, then you'll need to get copies from a backup or recreate them.

It *might* be possible to use a tool to convert the PDF to Word and recover the images that way, but I'm not sure what the quality would be like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or the PDF could be imported into RoboHelp and the images would be imported as a result. At that point, they could be renamed to match the original file names.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 13, 2016 Oct 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just opened another project and have images missing, probably about 20 of them. Is there some reason this is happening? Again, the only thing I did recently was compile to create a pdf.

Thanks,

MDawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the properties of the images in your project - where does it think they are located? Verify that they are there outside of RH, then rebrowse the location in the project. Sometimes fixing one causes it to "remember" the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Can you please share a screen capture with us?

What I'd like to see is what you get when you click the File tab or menu and choose Rename Project. You don't have to follow it through. And you may also encounter an intermediate dialog advising something about the project on the server. If you see that one, just click OK to dismiss the dialog.

Once you screen capture the dialog allowing you to type in the new project name, just cancel the dialog.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the rename process, but didn't rename the file. Here's the screen capture of the dialogue box. Did you want the screen capture of the dialogue box or the Project Manager files?

Rename Project Diaglogue.png

Thanks for your help!

MDawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dialog you shared is fine. It provided the information I needed to see.

Note that it's not normal in any way for images to go missing. There is nothing I've ever encountered in RoboHelp aside from deleting images manually that would make them perform a disappearing act from the hard drive.

Your screen shot tells us that the project is stored on your local C drive. Had it shown a Network location where the drive letter began with perhaps E or F or T or letters beyond C or D, I might then have suspected some network mischief.

You might check with your network admins and ask about the situation. Who knows, maybe they are running some form of software that performs a "clean up" and somehow disallows images stored in your Desktop folders.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am SO frustrated. I've been replacing images from the back up folders (a long story in and of itself!) I can see the file name in the drop down lists of Images folders, however, the image itself doesn't appear just a small red box.image window with red box.png

Also, when I inserted the image through RoboHelp, I put the file in Client Services > Images. It did not appear there, but instead in Images > Client Services. I had to display All folders to even find the file as you can see above.

To add to my frustration, calling RoboHelp support the recording said that my product was no longer supported over the phone!

Thanks,

MDawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I'd be very surprised to find that Adobe support can help you any better than we can here in the forums.

If you want, I'd be happy to connect with you and "look over your shoulder" to see if we can make any headway. But that's your call. If you are open to this, shoot me a private email to rickstone1975 (at) gmail (dot) com and I can connect with you to see your screen.

And if you aren't comfortable with that, that's cool too. Just thought I'd toss the offer out.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a follow up in case others find this thread down the road. Hopefully the outcome will help them.

Margaret and I connected via Skype and she shared her screen. I had her look at the properties for one of the missing images by right-clicking one of the missing images in the Project Manager pod. Just to determine the actual image file name. We then right-clicked the main project folder and chose to Explore. From Windows File Explorer, we performed a search for the image. It was fortunately found in a WebHelp output folder. So we visited that folder and copied all images from it and pasted them into the appropriate location in the main project folder. This fixed all but two images. We repeated the process for the remaining two images and she was back in business.

It's still anyone's guess at this point as to exactly why they went missing to begin with.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp