• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hangs importing Adobe PDF

Participant ,
May 20, 2008 May 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) I used RoboHelp (for HTML) to import a Word (free Primo) .PDF but do not get a TOC, index, etc. Only a few minutes.
2) There is no RoboHelp prompt to label the pictures, which would be nice, even if RoboHelp numbered them
3) RoboHelp seems to be a RAM hog on my single CPU with ½ GB, what is ideal RAM amount?
4) Graphic artist created .pdf with InDesign
5) RoboHelp does not explain the conversion options for graphics on the .PDF Conversion options box
6) RoboHelp hung while importing his .pdf (how long does a 125 .PDF with 85 images take?)
7) RoboHelp for Word hung while importing his Adobe .PDF (AI or EPS images)
8) What is the easiest, simplest way to get from the artist’s .PDF to a classic HTML chm Help file?

I recommended RoboHelp for several reasons, including we have InDesign, but I don’t find very much synergy so far. The forums are excellent, but the Help files are helpful only when a specific topic is addressed in an article format.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. The Word and PDF imports are not designed to create a TOC or index, just to get the content into the help file.
2. This needs you to complete a wish list request.
3. Near impossible to answer as so many factors contribute to this.
4. OK but it shouldn't matter what ws used to create the PDF.
5. This needs you to complete a wish list request.
6. Again difficult to answer without knowing more about the image size, format, tpye, etc.
7. Why were you using RH for Word?
8. If you have a new project, I'd import the PDF and then design your TOC, Index as required. There is no single click process as you have found out. It does require some tidying up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been informed that RH7 does indeed allow the ability to convert the TOC and index. This was not available in RHX5 that I use so I apologise if I have misled you. Not sure why it isn't working in your instance though. Have you tried creating a blank project and importing a different (non-In Design) PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response:
1. I don’t need to edit the Help file... yet, I simply need it in a chm file format, too bad RoboHelp doesn’t simply create a chm file the way Adobe creates a pdf
2. Where do you submit wish list requests?
6. The .pdf is 4-MB, doesn’t seem large to me. The images are Mac InDesign IA or EPS.
7. I used both, but I prefer RH for Word, because Word is a better word processor
8. It is a new project, and I can’t import the PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH does not support EPS images so maybe that is the problem.

Also 512mb of RAM is the minimum and when working with Word or PDFs they too use the resources so that could also be part of the problem.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 10, 2008 Jul 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, what file format should the images be in Word to go to InDesign or in InDesign to go to RH7?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Word, Outlook and RH are all RAM hogs, so any thing over 512MB would make a big difference, BTW, RH hung at 90% and did not write any files to designated folder...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH HTML would normally use JPGs, GIFs or PNGs.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2008 Jul 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

graphic artist insists Adobe products work together, in fact a one page pdf with EPS slips into RH7 as fast as a rabbit down a hole, going to let import perculate with the 116 page pdf all weekend...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2008 Jul 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Within a PDF is not the same as directly into the topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2008 Jul 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I set RoboHelp to import the graphic artist’s InDesign .pdf (116 pages, with 85 images) and let it percolate all weekend, with Windows Power Saving options set to always on, nothing happened. No HTML files created. No error messages. Nothing. Will change my original Word document to match his font, then import the Word document into RoboHelp and will try to get graphics from artist to import and place them separately in new project.
Can I import EPS graphics into the project and place them?
Should I convert them into PNGs?
Should my graphic artist convert them into PNGs before I import them?
What is the easiest way?
What is the highest quality way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp